ideas for super low-calorie, filling snacks?

Replies

• rachelalethea
    rachelalethea Posts: 10 Member
    1/2 c. blueberries 40 calories
  • I keep cucumbers in the fridge - slice them up, add sea salt and you have crunchy salty yummy. Carrots are good too - more calories though and if you are really hungry have 4-5 almonds and then cucumbers. Good luck!
  • ktren
    ktren Posts: 6
    i'm in love with ricepaper wraps filled with shredded carrot, lettuce, cucumber, ginger, and a little sprinkle of soy sauce. So easy to make and low in calories.

and popcorn............gotta love the popcorn!
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    I like to make what I call Pumpkin Fluff. I got the recipe right here at MFP right after I joined this past October. I have been eating it almost everyday since.

How I make it:

1 - 15.5 oz. can Pumpkin
    8oz. Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
    1 - tea. Cinnamon
    ¼ - tea. Ground Cloves
    ¼ - tea. Ground Ginger
    15 packets Splenda

I mix it all together and keep it in the frig.
    Makes 6 - 4oz. Servings
    Each Serving is 50 Calories

That 1 - 4oz serving is very satisfying and I am not hungry. It’s a really good snack. Since I have started eating it I have quit eating the 100 calorie pack snack cookies and crackers and besides it is better for me also. It’s a good thing lol :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou:
    I am making this for dessert tonight! Picked up everything at the store!!!! Can't wait!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • s_hamm_08
    s_hamm_08 Posts: 117 Member
    Heres some I found on 400caloriesorless.com, they have some great snacks and these two are some that I have tired and liked.
    Provolone and Peppers

8 servings
    65 calories per serving

2 small red bell peppers
    1 T oil
    2 T basil pesto
    2 oz. provolone cheese in 8 slices

Quarter peppers and remove seeds. Brush outsides with oil. Fill insides with pesto and cheese. Heat grill. Grill peppers 5-7 minutes or until cheese is softened. You can also broil these for a few minutes if you do not have a grill.

Zucchini Pizzas

36 pizzas
    90 calories per serving (1 serving = 12 pieces)

3 medium zucchinis each sliced into 12 pieces
    6 oz. can tomato paste
    36 thin slices 1 inch square part skim mozzarella cheese
    1/3 c parmesan cheese
    Mixed Italian herbs (oregano, basil, parsley)

Preheat broiler. Parboil zucchini slices 1-2 minutes and then drain on paper towels. Place on a baking sheet and top each piece with 1 t tomato paste and one slice cheese. Then top with ½ t parmesan and herbs. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  • I typically reach for air-popped popcorn. 1 cup is about 35 calories. The 100 calorie pack of popcorn are roughly 1.5 cups. So with the air-popped kind you can have amost 3 cups and have the same calorie intake as one of the little bags. Also, per cup of post popcorn the air-popped stuff is way cheaper too. Win-Win.
  • In what store did you find the Ken's hot sauce. I have been looking for that for weeks.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    My latest has been n Eggo Nutri-grain low fat waffle (70 calories) with 2 TBSP lite cool whip (20 calories) for only 90 calories total, a sweet and savory treat. I also have this for breakfast (2 of them) and add fresh fruit on top ... If you put the waffles in a toaster, they crisp up and you can eat them like toast. YUM-O!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Take 1/2 of a 5 oz. can of chunk light tuna in water, mix it with 2 tablespoons of salsa, and spread the mixture evenly on top of two huge salted rice cakes (like the ones by Quaker). VERY filling and 130 calories for EVERYTHING!
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    If your a fan of sweet and salty try

3 cups popcorn- the air popped kind or natutal (no butter added)
    i cant believe its not butter spray (or the fat free kind)
    3-5 packets of splenda
    3 teaspoons (or more) cinnamon

you can add as much spenda and butter to your popcorn as you want!
    heads up! there is 6 calories per tsp of ground cinnamon :)

its easiest to get the spenda and cinnamon on the popcorn if you spray the popcorn with the spray then put it all into a paper bag, add the spenda and cinnamon then shake.

it comes to about 100 calories!
  • a_fill
    a_fill Posts: 20 Member
    I like to make what I call Pumpkin Fluff. I got the recipe right here at MFP right after I joined this past October. I have been eating it almost everyday since.

How I make it:

1 - 15.5 oz. can Pumpkin
    8oz. Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
    1 - tea. Cinnamon
    ¼ - tea. Ground Cloves
    ¼ - tea. Ground Ginger
    15 packets Splenda

I mix it all together and keep it in the frig.
    Makes 6 - 4oz. Servings
    Each Serving is 50 Calories

That 1 - 4oz serving is very satisfying and I am not hungry. It’s a really good snack. Since I have started eating it I have quit eating the 100 calorie pack snack cookies and crackers and besides it is better for me also. It’s a good thing lol :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou:

can`t wait to try this
  • I love Thomas english muffins. 100 calories and 8 grams of fiber, so they're pretty filling. If I'm craving something salty, i spray a little I Can't Believe it's Not Butter, sprinkle with garlic salt, and put in the oven. If i'm craving somethign sweet, i'll put a tablespoon of jelly on for an extra 50 calories (or sugar free for 10). If I have more calories to play with, I'll add peanut butter for a heartier snack (or PB2 for fewer calories)

I also love an apple or two in the microwave, sprinkled with splenda and cinnamon. Like crustless apple pie, warm, delicious, and healthy!
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Great finger food (better than potato chips and I'm not a big popcorn fan): Grape tomatoes, the smaller the better; or I steame microwave a bag of fresh sugar snap peas and munch on those once they've cooled down a bit.

A sweet treat that can't be beat. Fold a bunch of cinnamon into light Cool Whip, spread a mini Quaker caramel popcorn rice cake with some, top with another rice cake, repeat as much as you want. Freeze them, and you have some great and very low cal mini "ice cream sandwiches!" This could probably be done with sugar free chocolate syrup into the cool whip and chocolate rice cakes--haven't tried that combo yet!
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Depends on if you are in the mood for sweet, salty, crunchy, hot, cold etc. ONE small but delicious piece of chocolate OR a cup of low-cal cocoa OR a baked apple with splenda, cinnamon and granola for a sweet tooth. For salty, popcorn or chedder rice cakes.
    For real hunger, I like cheese cubes or peanut or almond butter with apple slices or pretzel crisps. For ice cream cravings, anything by Skinny Cow. Or freeze your favorite flavor of yogurt.

Steamed and fresh veggies are great but I eat them for meals, not for cravings.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Oven roasted cauliflower, tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar before roasting. The key is roasting the florettes until they really begin to brown. AMAZING! I could eat a whole head of cauliflower this way.
  • Veggies with fresh chunky salsa. Usually either bell peppers, cucumbers, or carrots. Absolutely delicious and satisfies spicy cravings.
  • homemade pumpkin and butternut soup :)
    great for a light lunch, afternoon tea.. whatever
    it's really a filling drink

also fruit smoothies are great.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member

Zucchini Pizzas

36 pizzas
    90 calories per serving (1 serving = 12 pieces)

3 medium zucchinis each sliced into 12 pieces
    6 oz. can tomato paste
    36 thin slices 1 inch square part skim mozzarella cheese
    1/3 c parmesan cheese
    Mixed Italian herbs (oregano, basil, parsley)

Preheat broiler. Parboil zucchini slices 1-2 minutes and then drain on paper towels. Place on a baking sheet and top each piece with 1 t tomato paste and one slice cheese. Then top with ½ t parmesan and herbs. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.

These sound amazing! Hungry girl has a recipe in her cookbook for pepper skins, green peppers baked with potato skin type topping. These sound even better. Thanks for sharing.
  • Thanks for the ideals.
  • FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    Bump:happy: