How to Recover from Over Training?

I have come to the conclusion that I am over trained. Not only in the gym, but in life in general as well. I have started a new job, commute 1 hour each way, hit the gym for 1-1.5 hours five days a week, teach aerobics classes twice a week, own a house, do the groceries, prep my food, pack my lunch, keep up with the laundry, run a small business on the side, try and be a social 27 year old....the result is complete exhaustion. (I know there are many more people who do much more than I do. By no means am I trying to say my life is extreme or the most stressful out there, but it is busy).

I have all the symptoms: sore joins and muscles, no energy, lack of aerobic capacity, can't get through my workouts, depressed, moody, pulling muscles, etc.

So my question out there is how to recovery? I eat well, I get 8 hours of sleep a night. I have cut back on my workouts, while still trying to keep going some as well as teach the classes I am committed to. I take a multi vitamin, vit d, vit b complex, fish oil and BCAA's. But I still can't catch up. This has been going on for about 2-3 weeks now. I usually crush my workouts, can't get enough, full balls to the walls, step class, crossfit, kickboxing, strength training, running, intervals, I couldn't wait to do it all and more. Now I have ZERO interest.

I thought after the holiday weekend I would be recharged some, but I am not. Still dragging and can't get out of my own way.

Thanks for any tips!!!

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I vote yoga.

Can't really cut out the day-to-day stuff, or the class you teach, and not working out at all can be difficult and possibly even stressful. When I'm feeling overwhelmed I do yoga, or commit to a walk with my dog instead of running.

Good luck! Life be crazy!
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    If your cutting back on your workouts which is sounds like you might need a little cut back I would suggest this site bodyrock.tv you will get your workout in for the day and it will easily fit into your schedule. It is an awesome sight I have been bodyrocking for about a year now. I also just completed the Chalean Extreme workout. I got exhausted just reading about your routine. You have a really long commute besides all the other things that you do. Sound like you need shorter workouts and a place where you can get good vibes and that would be bodyrock.tv as well as this site.

I would try working out 3 x a week until you feel recharged. The workouts are about 12-20 minutes long and then you are done. Good luck in all your endeavors! I would be happy to be friends with you if this post is helpful :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Take a week off!!!!
    1 step back but 3 steps forward!

After looking at your diary it looks like you arent feeding your muscles enough protein!
    1g per LBM!
    Set Fat to .45g per LBM
    Then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
    Settings>goals>change goals>custom>continue

Youll have energy!

Also double check the calorie intake!
    Looks like you could be eating too little food!

Just my 2cents!
    =D
  • I have no expertise what so ever with this but I personally think you need a break period. I have been reading A LOT lately trying to educate myself on my own weight loss and getting in shape and the most common thing I have been noticing in everything I read is resting your body after work outs. It sure sounds like you are not giving your body a break from working out at all. Maybe you should take a break and just teach your class since you are so committed to it and see how you feel after a week of that. I would also say since this just started happening, maybe you should check in with your doc and get some labs done just to be on the safe side? Good luck.
    Peace :flowerforyou:
  • I vote yoga.

Can't really cut out the day-to-day stuff, or the class you teach, and not working out at all can be difficult and possibly even stressful. When I'm feeling overwhelmed I do yoga, or commit to a walk with my dog instead of running.

Good luck! Life be crazy!

I agree with this. Replace a few workouts with yoga for about two weeks and continue to get rest. And up your cards. Usually when you need more energy good cards will do the trick.

Warning: Yoga can be addictive so you may like it so much that you stick with it =) Good luck to you
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Take a week off!!!!
    1 step back but 3 steps forward!

After looking at your diary it looks like you arent feeding your muscles enough protein!
    1g per LBM!
    Set Fat to .45g per LBM
    Then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
    Settings>goals>change goals>custom>continue

Youll have energy!

Also double check the calorie intake!
    Looks like you could be eating too little food!

Just my 2cents!
    =D

^^What he said. And learn to start saying no. It's hard, but, man.... it's a great de-stressor! I've just learned, and I feel better than I have in years!!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Just give yourself 3-5 days rest. From all non essential responsibility workouts. Then pick it up again and I bet you'll find your good.

Eat lots protein and drink lots water in this time. OT usually jsut requires a break.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Sounds to me like you need some recovery time from life...woo girl!!! :) I think you are just getting burned out, you need to relax and recharge...we all do sometimes!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Unplug for a week! If you keep trying to make modifications, you're still putting yourself through stress. Find a couch, and get intimate with it. You won't lose your fitness in that time.
  • amauritsen
    amauritsen Posts: 3 Member
    Your dilema sounds a lot like mine a couple of months ago. I am a busy father, husband and professional and play a lot of competitive racquetball on the side, as well as, coach a high school racquetball team. I am a stickler for being prepared so I tend to overtrain and once I get tired like that, recovery is difficult with all the other responsibilities we have. Actually, I joined MFP not so much to lose weight but to take a look at the quality of my diet.

Are you able to get good sleep at night. Sleeping well is big.

Here's what has helped me: eating less but higher quality food, stretch and self message every night before bed (a roller foam works wonders). What helped most of all was surprising, however. I was given samples of an after-workout recovery product and overnight recovery product at a racquetball tournament. I gave them a good test and they worked miraculously. At the point I usually would have been knackered for the rest of the week I was able to recover over-night. The overnight recovery pills helped me sleep without all the night twitches that keep me awake. The brand was Advocare. They are pretty expensive so I am experimenting with similar product from some less expensive companies.

For sports performance 50% undertrained is better than 5% overtrained.

I hope that helps.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    You may not like what I'm going to say but....

It depends on how long you have been sustaining the over training effect. If its a mild over train, then a week off with Great nutrition and the a slow rebuild of your volume at low intensity could work.

If you have seriously over trained for a number of weeks/months then it may take a lengthy period of rest sometimes amounting to a month or more.

Sounds like your pretty sensible, I recommend you do some more research, because it can really screw you up if left unaddressed.

Recommended reading ....

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/overtraining-overreaching-and-all-the-rest-part-1.html
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Love the body recomposition blog, thanks for the link.

And thank you to everyone for your input. I have a Crossfit competition December 10th. Hoping to have enough rest before then so I am in better condition to compete. I think destress outside the gym is going to be the key. Last night I went home right home from work, put my sweats on and sat down and did a puzzle for the evening. Just what the doctor ordered. That and stretching on the foam roller.