how important is drinking 8 cups of water?

Hi Everyone,
Had a rough weekend (keeping track). I didn't drink all of my recommended amounts of water (all weekend I think I only had 2 glasses) and I didn't overdo it on the cals, but guess what? I'm up about half a pound - Does anybody know if this is because I didn't get my 8 glasses of water in for 2 days?
Please help - oh and does anybody know if flavoured water is ok as a substitute for just plain old water?

Thanks in advance, alice

Replies

• alice
    alice Posts: 25 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    Had a rough weekend (keeping track). I didn't drink all of my recommended amounts of water (all weekend I think I only had 2 glasses) and I didn't overdo it on the cals, but guess what? I'm up about half a pound - Does anybody know if this is because I didn't get my 8 glasses of water in for 2 days?
    Please help - oh and does anybody know if flavoured water is ok as a substitute for just plain old water?

Thanks in advance, alice
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    first of all since memorial day i have been getting religiously at least 6 glasses of water a day and it is a tall glass. the benefits are my skin has never looked better and there is value in your body processing that water. so i feel it helps you lose lbs and also you won't be able to tell from your first day of drinking the recommended amount of water but i don't drink diet soda or any soda, i don't drink anything except for coffee in the morning and i know that it has helped me not to want to eat more.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Water is SO IMPORTANT! Our bodies are made up of over 70% water and when we deprive it of that main "ingredient", it will RETAIN and hold on to what is does have. Have you ever felt bloated or "puffy"? Trust me on this one, DRINK YOUR WATER! If you don't like the taste, or you find it boring, try Crystal Lite. I buy the powder by the truck loads. It's really yummy and you'll drink lots. It's good for your skin, digestive system, weight loss, organs, etc... drink up!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Hi Alice,
    I definately have a hard time drinking 8 cups of water on the weekend, and I do think that it could be a reason that you gained a 1/2 lbs. The same thing happens to me, but once I am back at work during the week, and drinking my water, the weight comes off again. very weird!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Weekends are always more difficult for me, too. I tend to let my guard down a little bit more and the focus on water gets shoved to the side. I also like to drink wine on the weekends... don't know if you like wine or not... but alcohol will dehydrate you and sometimes I find that I will be heavier on the scale. My trainer at the gym pounds it into my head to drink water, especially when I feel like I've gained weight or drank wine on a Saturday.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Here's a new one I read on another fitness sight.

Losing fat slowly gives your skin a chance to tone up, so you don't end up skinny with flappy skin.
    Going five days drinking lots of water, then two days dry, each week, gets the skin to tighten up.

Sounds like diet lore. Anybody know?