Treadmill at home and cals burned?

kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

I have a treadmill at home..I know the cals burned on these things could be off
I've been walking about 20-25min a day (or as long as my kids will allow)
The speed ranges from 2.8-3.5...
The treadmill says I am burning anywhere from 70-100ish cals...does that sound about right
So, if my cals alloted are 1400 per day and I am burning roughly 100 cals per day on the treadmill, should I be eating a TOTAL of 1500 cals?

Thanks, kim

Replies

• kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Hi

I have a treadmill at home..I know the cals burned on these things could be off
    I've been walking about 20-25min a day (or as long as my kids will allow)
    The speed ranges from 2.8-3.5...
    The treadmill says I am burning anywhere from 70-100ish cals...does that sound about right
    So, if my cals alloted are 1400 per day and I am burning roughly 100 cals per day on the treadmill, should I be eating a TOTAL of 1500 cals?

Thanks, kim
  • doglvr_75
    doglvr_75 Posts: 144
    you can check for a more accurate amount of calories burned by going to caloriesperhour.com, the site has a walking calculator that allows you to input distance & time (it'll calculate your speed & the number of cals burned)...or you can do it by speed and distance or speed & time...it also has calculators for every possible activity under the sun...
    hope this helps..vee :wink:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Yes, you should be eating 1500 calories per day if you are burning 100.

As for how accurate the machine is - the best way to tell is by using a heart rate monitor ($40-$160). I have found that I am actually burning less calories than what the machine shows. The difference becomes greater the faster I am going.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I would use your speed and time and use an online calorie burn site. The treadmill does not take into consideration how much you weigh. The more you weigh and walk, the more calories you burn, the less you weigh, the less calories. Mine says that when I walk for 20 mins at 4 mph that I burn about 200 calories, the online sites all say about 140-150. I would say anyone that takes weight into consideration would be more accurate. Good luck! And keep up the good work walking!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    That's fairly close as far as calories go. You could always use this site counter as well. Start going uphill to really burn them up.:happy: