being fat in Japan

I've just found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hqHo6lyUU&feature=share

Gives you something to think about, doesn't it?

Replies

• Fatlorenzo
    Fatlorenzo Posts: 101 Member
    haha, imagine that happening in the west, be great ot have one more excuse to lose weight!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Wow!! They are smaller people but still...
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    hm, I sometimes do wonder about what pressures for being thin works. Whatever we're doing here is obviously not working, since obesity is still rising or perhaps it's because of the rampant fast food places and other factors that make unhealthy calorie dense food more appealing. What is viewed as normal weight here is viewed as fat in some other countries. At 5'3" and 138, I'm pretty sure my mom's home country would view that as obese in all honesty.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    First thing I thought of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98qdFQF7sw
  • I just viewed your link. Wow, I didn't think they looked overweight at all.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Thanks for sharing. Maybe the U.S. should look into this.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    If my company were facing millions in fines and a raise in health premiums I could defiantly get behind this. A raise to them means a raise to the employee and less money in everyone's pocket. And if the company can't afford it? Then jobs would be lost so they could. I would do it happily, and if the company is the on e facing the troubles than they should be the ones to help with the changes. I mean, take a way some fast food restaurants and that doesn't do much except send people other places to get lunch. Tell them their jobs and health care could be effected and to eat healthier AT work and that might get the message across to cross it over to other parts of their life.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    I wonder what they think of those stereotypical military wives who live in Japan LOL.
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260

Totally cracked me up! :laugh:
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Amazing! I wonder what it'd be life if we gave these standards to American companies?!
  • asian bodies are smaller in general, in comparison to us americans. we're taller, and overall our measurements are naturally a few inches more. not just due to fat, but because of our bones. our ring sizes, shoe size, hat size, etc..are all generally bigger. so if that system were in place, i doubt many of us would fit in the 35 inches or less category.

but that's pretty much where the excuses for us stop. our traditional american meal is usually full of mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, casseroles, etc. stuff our grandmas used to make definitely did not total to 600 calories a meal lol

these days we chalk up our waistlines to our stressful jobs, marriage, having children, getting older, and not having enough time to work out, etc. god forbid you tell an american woman who had a kid, that she needs to lose weight or lose her job. you'll have everyone screaming unfair sexism. it's just become culturally acceptable to be overweight. it's rude to mention someone's weight, it's considered shallow not to date a woman because she's thick, and definitely not acceptable to not give someone a job because they're overweight. so i seriously doubt we will have someone in our company measuring waistlines anytime soon...

but! we can definitely take some of their good ideas. i'm sure alot of people who work in an office would relish the opportunity to stand up from their work twice a day and stretch, and take some relaxing deep breaths. socially speaking, it makes for a far more productive and friendly work enviornment! i've also heard they do a morning stretch in their classrooms to help the kid's improved brain function. definitely an easy addition that could have great results if we made it a country-wide practice.
  • I thinks that would only make eating disorders worse, and might raise the suicide rate.
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    I can sort of see something like this happening here as national health care broadens. Companies could be charged more for premiums for having overweight employees, kind of like higher premiums for smokers is becoming the norm. I could see us having to step on the scale just like we already may have to pee in a cup.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I can sort of see something like this happening here as national health care broadens. Companies could be charged more for premiums for having overweight employees, kind of like higher premiums for smokers is becoming the norm. I could see us having to step on the scale just like we already may have to pee in a cup.

hopefully this happens. the people at risk should pay more.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/04/us-food-costs-idUSTRE7734L620110804

"Eating healthier food can add almost 10 percent to the average American's food bill -- and that is just to boost a single nutrient like potassium."

Fix the fact that unhealthy, fattening foods cost less than healthy foods for starters. Then go from there. If regular Americans can't afford to eat healthy, no program in the world is going to change that except programs that lower the cost of healthy food.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    What happens when people turn to smoking, cocaine, etc... to lose the weight? A smaller body doesn't always mean it was derived in a healthy manner. If we were to impose this, I think health should also be measured in other ways, not just from measurements and the number on the scale.
  • Laces_0ut

"Eating healthier food can add almost 10 percent to the average American's food bill -- and that is just to boost a single nutrient like potassium."

Fix the fact that unhealthy, fattening foods cost less than healthy foods for starters. Then go from there. If regular Americans can't afford to eat healthy, no program in the world is going to change that except programs that lower the cost of healthy food.

whats to fix? bad fatty meat is going to cost less than lean meat for example. you can't "fix" that.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member

whats to fix? bad fatty meat is going to cost less than lean meat for example. you can't "fix" that.
    the article isnt talking about lean meat vs fatty meat.. its talking about foods that would add more potassium, vitamin d, and other nutrients to your diet. fruits and vegetables vs boxed/canned/processed stuff
  • Laces_0ut

the article isnt talking about lean meat vs fatty meat.. its talking about foods that would add more potassium, vitamin d, and other nutrients to your diet. fruits and vegetables vs boxed/canned/processed stuff

"Fix the fact that unhealthy, fattening foods cost less than healthy foods for starters." thats what i was responding to.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member

"Fix the fact that unhealthy, fattening foods cost less than healthy foods for starters." thats what i was responding to.
    so boxed/canned/processed isnt unhealthy and fattening, compared to fresh fruits and veggies?
    not trying to argue here - just pointing out that fatty vs lean meat isnt the only change that people need to make to eat healthier. its more expensive to buy enough produce and whole foods to feed a family than it is to buy some hamburger helper and ground beef