Elliptical Training Question

To lose the most weight, is it better to work out for longer minutes at a lower level or less minutes at a higher level? Any advice will help.

Replies

• vegan60
    vegan60 Posts: 6
    To lose the most weight, is it better to work out for longer minutes at a lower level or less minutes at a higher level? Any advice will help.
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    I say go as long as you can. Shoot for 30 minutes. Thats is the goal and any longer is bonus. You can always step it up along the way. The longer your heart rate is up the better. It takes a minimum of 20 minutes for your body to go into weight loss mode(so a trainer once told me...i hated to hear that myself!)

I start out on the easiest level of intensity and every few minutes I kick it up a level or 2. It pushes me and it is gradual. Plus the higher the level the more calories you burn...I get a little obsessed when I start burning off what I ate for snack or lunch. It feels rewarding!!:happy:

Hope this helps.
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    interval training is good at burning fat and it breaks up the workout I do 3 mins steady (pushing my self) then 1 min all out as if you were sprinting then I do 1 min in rev repeat till I get to 35 mins thn cool down for 2 mins and stretch it out.

Gradually you will notice that the intensity being a bit easy and then you can increase it don't push yourself too hard at first it will only leave you sore and unable to workout at all.

I would go at a comfortable intensity for at least 20 mins to begin with and increase gradually to 30 over a couple of workouts it all depends on how fit you are how your legs cope the first week I used mine my legs felt like jelly when I finished not anymore.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    It doesn't matter - if the calories burned are the same - as far as weight loss.

Interval training, like vicky said, is great. You will see the most improvement this way.

I do:
    5min warm up
    5-10 min increased resistance
    20-40 min of intervals - changes every day - one minute high, rest one minute, 2 minutes intense, rest 3 - whatever works for you
    5 min cool down