Can't Lose Weight

Hi guys,

Any advice you can give me would help. Here's the deal. I'm training for a mini-triathalon and did the run through last weekend. The good news is I finished and I finished in 1:22. That's a pretty decent time.

Here's my problem:

I've been swimming for a couple years and lost about 20 pounds. I'm real happy about that! However, I have been training for about 3 months for this mini-trathalon and have not dropped an ounce. I'm at 217 and would like to drop 20 pounds before the race. It would really help with endourance.

My diet is steady and I think I'm eating enough. I usually eat 2000 calaories a day and burn in excercise 400 - 900 (depending on length).

My numbers just don't add up. How is it I can't drop a pound, but burn enough that I should? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jason

Replies

• jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Hi guys,

Any advice you can give me would help. Here's the deal. I'm training for a mini-triathalon and did the run through last weekend. The good news is I finished and I finished in 1:22. That's a pretty decent time.

Here's my problem:

I've been swimming for a couple years and lost about 20 pounds. I'm real happy about that! However, I have been training for about 3 months for this mini-trathalon and have not dropped an ounce. I'm at 217 and would like to drop 20 pounds before the race. It would really help with endourance.

My diet is steady and I think I'm eating enough. I usually eat 2000 calaories a day and burn in excercise 400 - 900 (depending on length).

My numbers just don't add up. How is it I can't drop a pound, but burn enough that I should? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jason
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Have you ever thought about some Weight Training?
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    I was just about to say the same thing. Weight training. A trainer at the gym I have been going to told me if I wanted to get over my plateau that I should stop cardio, which Ididnt but I cut back from 60 mins to 20 mins and I have gotten over my plateau and lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks. Which is pretty good since I am so close to my goal. Cardio i think gets your metablism up for a few hours after your workout, but strength training is like 10 hours after. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn. Just a thought
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Personally I wouldn't suggest adjusting anything while you're prepping for the triathlon. What you're experiencing is your body swapping out fat weight for muscle weight and weight training is going to do more of the same.

Weight training isn't a bad thing to think about but if you do take up weight training I would suggest a training routine that emphasizes the muscles you're going to need the most during the event like upper body to help you when you need to "dig in" during either the swim or the run

If you're going to change anything I would suggest a reevaluation of your food consumption to lower it and still keep your strength up. This should bring your weight down.

If you do the calorie reduction you will need to phase in meats and pasta's commensurate with the time space before the event begins in order to have the internal reserves available to meet the challenges you're going to face.

Bob