Ok like I said I am new to this so.....

Can someone please explain to me how the calorie burner thing works when you put an exercise in. How do I know how many calories are good to burn?? I am really confused so if someone could please explain this to me it would be great!

Replies

• Can someone please explain to me how the calorie burner thing works when you put an exercise in. How do I know how many calories are good to burn?? I am really confused so if someone could please explain this to me it would be great!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I'll give this a shot.......

When you start, you should have entered goals and some information which provided you with a base number of calories you can consume to lose weight even if you do nothing but exist (no exercise). This number is determined by taking your "Basal Metabolic Index" or something like that which is how much you need to survive at your current weight. Mine for instance is 1349.

But I am trying to lose weight. So, it calculates that I can only consume 1200 if I want to lose weight. If I exercise, I need more calories, because I shouldn't go below my 1,200 or my body will kick into starvation mode and I will convert calories to fat rather than energy.

So, when you put everything it as you go through the day you can keep track of how many calories you need, you burned, and have yet to consume.

I hope that makes sense and helps.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Also, if you do exercise and add it in your Exercise Diary, the calories burned for that exercise get *added* to your total for the day. So the Calories Remaining is adjusted for what you burned with the additional exercise.

Note that not all exercises in the DB will calculate calories for you. Basically only what is entered under Cardio. Someone posted me this link when I asked a related question

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

I used that calculator to enter some exercise & calories burned that were morespecific for me into the MFP database.
  • tessa681
    tessa681 Posts: 49 Member
    GREAT SITE! http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc Thanks for the info and I'm reposting
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    if you limit your calories to 1200 and you are exercising 5 times a week and burning 400-700 calories you will lose lbs. 400 is one treadmill running program and 700 is two.