Question ?

I have been reading alot of posts about working out I went and had a Fitness Orientation with the trainer at the gym I am going too and he told me 3 times a week was adequate for working out to give my muscles a break in between I have noticed alot of posts where some are going daily or 4 to 5 times a week I am doing Cardio and Strength training both when I am at the gym Is that enough or should I be doing more.

Replies

• kaarens
    kaarens Posts: 27
    I have been reading alot of posts about working out I went and had a Fitness Orientation with the trainer at the gym I am going too and he told me 3 times a week was adequate for working out to give my muscles a break in between I have noticed alot of posts where some are going daily or 4 to 5 times a week I am doing Cardio and Strength training both when I am at the gym Is that enough or should I be doing more.
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    You should do strength training every other day to rest your muscles. Cardio you can do everyday. My dr says to rest once or twice a week so I don't burn out. I do cardio 6 times a week for 50 minutes. It really depends on you and what you want to do!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    All you need is three days a weeks to get the health benefits of exersice. Though most people here do more so they can get the benefit of the extra calories burned so they can eat more.:wink: My thoughts are start how you intend to finish, can you maintain 5-6 days a week for life, because this is a lifestyle change. I exersice four days a week and have been since I was in my early twenties, that's enough for me and I am quite fit. Your trainer is right, three days is fine for basic fitness and to reap the rewards of good heart and muscle health; however, an extra day or two is fine as well. Especially if you like pizza or ice cream!:laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    You need to allow a day of rest from weight training or a very intense (harder than ever) workout. You should do cardio at least 30 minutes 6 days a week.
  • KariandCo
    KariandCo Posts: 29
    My thoughts are start how you intend to finish, can you maintain 5-6 days a week for life, because this is a lifestyle change.

I agree! I know with my schedule, getting to a gym 3 days a week is probably the best place to start, realistically. I schedule Y classes for my kids to give me that extra push and "force" me not to skip sessions.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of cardio. It's a struggle for me, whether it's a treadmill, a walk outside, cardio dance, a step class, whatever... ick! So the thought of doing it 6 days a week makes me want to throw in the towel from the get-go. And this has to be a lifestyle change, not a fad.
  • kaarens
    kaarens Posts: 27
    Thanks everyone for the reply to my question I am comfortable at 3 days a week I work 12 hr shifts at Nite so I fit working out in between working and my days off and it seems to be working well