Hummus??

What exactly is hummus? And is it low in calories?

Replies

• opatt23
    opatt23 Posts: 90
    What exactly is hummus? And is it low in calories?
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Hummus is a dip or a spread made from chickpeas. It is really good. I love mine with lots of garlic.
    It is also really good in gyros!

70 calories. Most hummus recipes include chickpeas, garlic, sesame seeds, olive oil and spices. This can be a healthy appetizer choice, if (and this is a big if!) you're able to keep your intake to just one two-tablespoon serving.
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    hummus rocks.

its a great protien source too. stays with you!!
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Hummus is a dip/spread that's commonly used in Mediterranean dishes. It's mainly blended chickpeas and tahini (grounded sesame seeds).

According to Wikipedia, "Hummus is high in iron and vitamin C. The chickpeas make it a good source of protein and dietary fiber. Depending on the recipe hummus carries varying amounts of monounsaturated fat.[11] Hummus is useful in vegetarian and vegan diets and like other combinations of grains and pulses, when eaten with bread it provides most of the essential amino acids for humans."

I've been eating hummus with sandwiches, celery, apples, pita, and crackers for as long as I can remember because it's a staple in my grandparent's household. In addition, my dietitian recommended that I continue to eat hummus to ensure I get the protein/fiber I need in my diet.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    I like the Roasted Red Peppers kind. 2 tbsp is 50 calories I think. I have it with a 100 calorie pack of Wheat Thins as a snack.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/7115-hummus

Here's my recipe, taught to me by a lebanese friend. So much cheaper than buying premade!
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    I :heart: Hummus!!

One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is to pop the yolks out of hard boiled eggs and fill with Hummus. Friggin Yummmmm! :smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like hummus.... maybe it's just the recipe I used... not a fan of cumin:sick:
    I love chickpeas so I thought I was going to adore hummus.....
    ~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    I :heart: Hummus!!

One of my favorite ways to enjoy it is to pop the yolks out of hard boiled eggs and fill with Hummus. Friggin Yummmmm! :smile:
    ohh that sounds really good! Maybe that will be my lunch tomorrow:love:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    I guess I'm the only one that doesn't like hummus.... maybe it's just the recipe I used... not a fan of cumin:sick:
    I love chickpeas so I thought I was going to adore hummus.....
    ~Joanna:flowerforyou:

If you love chickpea's then dont give up!! There's a hummus recipe that has your name on it somewhere! :laugh:

Maybe even this one... :wink: Its my quick easy...

The can: Chickpeas
    The plan: Hummus in a hurry

Rinse and drain 1 can (16 oz) chickpeas. In food processor, ( Or blender, or submersion thingie ) combine with 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 Tbsp tahini, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp bottled minced garlic, and 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper. Process until smooth. (8 servings, huge 1/4 cup serv.)

Per Serving : 107 Calories; 4g Fat (35.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 174mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat. (( 2 pts ))

And Cassia give me a shout out if you liked it! :smile: Another fav of mine is as a dip for my Roasted Cauliflower Poppers! :tongue:
  • Russh
    Russh Posts: 4
    I eat black swan skinny hummus.
    18 cal and 1g fat in a10g serve.
    YUM.

Don't know if its available in the u.s though.
  • jyesil
    jyesil Posts: 6 Member
    We make our own, too and we've found that the amount of olive oil and tahini is what makes the fat content go up and also makes it easier to spread. So depending on how its made the calorie and fat content can differ.