Limiting alcohol

I've decided to not drink wine at all at least two nights a week. I know the 2 glasses I've been having are slowing me down. Not only are they empty calories, but I've read alcohol slows the metabolism.

I'd like to be able to say no alcohol at all, but I don't want to set myself up to fail. Two nights a week I know I can do. Wish me luck!

Replies

• SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    I've decided to not drink wine at all at least two nights a week. I know the 2 glasses I've been having are slowing me down. Not only are they empty calories, but I've read alcohol slows the metabolism.

I'd like to be able to say no alcohol at all, but I don't want to set myself up to fail. Two nights a week I know I can do. Wish me luck!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Good luck on that. Sounds like a reasonable approach.

My drink is beer. With only 3 beer taking the calories of an entire meal, I'm just cutting it out.

I am mostly just a Friday-nighter, but I've been one most of my life, so it'll be an adjustment. Wish ME luck! :)
  • SugarBearRetired
    Good luck!! Old habits are hard to break...especially when it comes to alcohol.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Oh my goodness, you guys, I can so relate. I used to drink wine every night after work. The thing wasn't even the empty calories as much as it seemed like once I'd have a glass I would let my guard down a little more and eat things that I probably shouldn't. I would sort of say, ah what the heck, I'll eat this hunk of bread or chips and dip... whatever.

When I started dating my now husband, he had a personal rule of not drinking during the week. I adopted this "rule" and although it was really hard to break the habit, I feel so much better. I still enjoy wine on the weekends in moderation. Good luck with your efforts!
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    I cut out beer and wine entirely, almost (one glass of red wine at a nice Italian restaurant) over the last
    5 weeks, and when I make marinara sauce. I usually had a drink or two or three a day.

My main reason was that if I could do without, it would be an easy calorie load to eliminate. I have not really missed it, I do pine for it sometimes.

I often wondered if I could really quit at anytime. I could. That shut up that caring, whining voice in my head.

I plan to get back to occasional drinking after I hit my target. The heart benefits of wine, and taking time to relax and enjoy, are worth it.

Good luck.
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    good luck. i have noticed if i have a drink the night before i am more sluggish during my workouts. overall i probably drink 5 times a year and not more than two drinks during one time. as you get older you find other things instead of drinking. what surprises me are the number of guys who use liquor to get their nerve up prior to having sex which totally defeats their purpose.
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Ha ha, Pamelawh! I laughed when I read your note.

I work from home now, but used to do outside sales. When I was in that world, I was enveloped by the constant "business deals" that were done over happy hour and cocktails. It was such a way of life, that I never really even thought about it. I've always been an exerciser, but the alcohol really does inhibit progress. My suggestions to help curb that desire for a drink to unwind: INSTEAD, try taking a walk, brewing a nice cup of tea, take a hot bath, read a book, journal about your day...
  • SugarBearRetired
    katie- I can relate to your post. I work remote for a major company in sales. When I travel, which is about one week every six weeks, it's often about entertaining clients, going to receptions, dinners, etc. Alcohol is always free flowing, so I have to use extra diligence. I usually have one drink, then I switch to just tonic water and lime or plain cranberry juice on the rocks.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I really miss juice.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    When I was younger, jogging used to take care of the effects of overindulgence. So it didn't stop me at all, in fact it forced me or motivated me to run more.

I started bartending at a supper club for fun a few nights here and there a couple of years ago - just because its fun. Now, I don't have the slightest urge to drink more than a glass of wine or beer every now and then. I don't know if it was the smell or seeing total drunks, but that seems to have done it for me.