how often should you do a weigh in?

Options
I use a digital scale and I can step on it in the morning and it would read 117.6 then at night 118. Then it would be back down to 117.5 in the morning, how often should you weigh yourself to see how your doing?

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I use a digital scale and I can step on it in the morning and it would read 117.6 then at night 118. Then it would be back down to 117.5 in the morning, how often should you weigh yourself to see how your doing?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    That flucuation is all water weight. They say to check in once a week for that reason alone...because your body retains and loses water constantly. I, personally, check every morning. For me, I get a little more motivated if I see that weight a little higher, even if it is just from water. I know it's not the "correct" thing to do, but...hey, whatever works for you!

Good luck!!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in every 7 days, then I went to every 14 days.
    I think I'll do every 7 again, keeps me on track...
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    i weigh 2-3 times a day
    BUT i also kknow what i should weigh at that time

i weigh in the morning before eating - lightest weight
    i weigh after dinner- heavest
    and before or after lunch- middle weight

i know that never should i be above my heaviest night weight
    i try to see if my night weight gets lower cause that means i lost weight that day

but im also scale obsessed
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    This site recommends morning weigh-ins, I believe, so that's what I've been trying to do. I try to weigh in every couple of days or so, but you should probably weigh in at least once a week. The reason they say you're supposed to weigh in in the morning is because that's your 'dry' weight - you haven't put on weight through simple food and water consumption yet, so what you're weighing is primarily just you. Not your food and such. Anyway, that's what I've been told about it, hope that you find something that works for you.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself several times a day but I'm only doing it once or twice a week.
    You should stick to weighing yourself once a week (the same day every week), in the morning, after your "potty break" and before you eat or drink anything... and in the buff:wink:
    Stop weighing yourself at all times of the day... that'll drive you NUTS!
    Everyday, in the morning is fine but try not to do it throughout the day.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    i only weigh myself in the morning, same way, same spot same everything...I hate the scale and it hates me LOL....but so far 10 lbs down we are becoming friends again slowly! but it still messes w/ me...like around that time of the month, or when I've had too much salt...its like hey!:explode:

so I think once a week would be fine, but I know I still do it daily...sigh I'm trying to cut back...TRYING! lol
    hugs!
    ALi
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Just curious..you're 117 pounds and on your profile it says you have thirteen pounds left to go. How tall are you? Unless you're smaller than 5'3, 104 pounds is considered underweight.

I don't mean to be nosy but I would only want the best for fellow MFP subscribers.

Here is a BMI calculator for teens and adults:
    http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/