Idiot proof diet

lietee
lietee Posts: 189 Member
Well i went to the doctors today because i am trying to loose weight right . %) lbs. SO he tole me to go on the internet and try the idiot proof diet. SO if anyone has tried this i am begging you to please give me the low down on it. He says it works. But idont have hte money to get it online anyhow. Here is my email for anyone who has information
Liet_ee@hotmail.com
Thanx id apppreciate it tremendously

Replies

• lietee
    Well i went to the doctors today because i am trying to loose weight right . %) lbs. SO he tole me to go on the internet and try the idiot proof diet. SO if anyone has tried this i am begging you to please give me the low down on it. He says it works. But idont have hte money to get it online anyhow. Here is my email for anyone who has information
    Liet_ee@hotmail.com
    Thanx id apppreciate it tremendously
  • c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    I'm thinking you need to eat healthy, exercise and read all food labels for healthy content. I'm also thinking, your doctor should have given you better advice on how to lose weight. From what I just read on the diet he recommended on the internet, it didn't get good reviews. Stick to low fat, low calorie healthy food, and you will be successful. And exercise. Good luck-Chris.
  • lietee
    thanx for your reply but i am still very interested in trying this. So if anyone has information Id be greatful.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Here's a review from 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet website....

We've had a lot of requests for information about this diet plan over the last year or two. We were not impressed with the lack of information or even simple contact information on their website. There was no indication that the creators of the diet had any interest or knowledge in nutrition. Instead, the website and subscription program were created by a company called "Internet Made Simple". This left us feeling a little more than leary about the plan and we had difficulty recommending that anyone hand over their money for a mysterious and anonymous diet plan. We believe that everyone should be well aware of what a diet plan has to offer before paying for it. We've also heard from people that did pay for the subscription and were disappointed. The best review of all came from a Toronto newspaper journalist, Megan Ogilvie, who graciously gave us permission to reprint her article on Fat Loss 4 Idiots from her Diet Decoder column.

DIET: www.FatLoss4Idiots.com ($27 U.S./$31.47 Cdn for 90-day access to website)

CREATOR: A California-based company called Internet Made Simple.

CELEBRITY EDGE: None. What celebrity would endorse a diet with that moniker?

CLAIM: Lose nine pounds every 11 days. The diet's creators claim that the key to weight loss is to rotate eating patterns and to shift calorie consumption. They say the body's metabolism burns calories based on past eating habits and that it assumes these habits will stay the same. If people eat different types of calories every day, they will trick their body's metabolism into burning all of the calories consumed, as well as the "nearest available fat tissue" on the body.

PROGRAM: The diet sells itself on being "idiot-proof." That is, people who sign up for the website don't have to count calories, read labels or come up with meal plans. The website relies on an "online diet generator" to automatically compute a "customized diet."

To start, dieters choose up to 30 foods from a list of 46 choices. The diet generator creates an 11-day meal plan with four meals per day that can be eaten in any order. There are no calorie limits at any meal; dieters eat until they are satisfied, but not full. After 11 days, dieters can eat whatever they like for three days. They can then use the diet generator again to create a new 11-day plan.

SIDE NOTES: The website offers a second weight-loss plan that also relies on the idea of rotating calories. This one consists of 10 rules and comes in the form of a 45-page e-book. Rule 9 recommends one hour of gentle walking every day; the diet's creators claim that non-strenuous exercise burns fat.

ALLOWED: Only the foods listed on the 11-day meal plan and any low-calorie condiments. Diet soft drinks, coffee, tea and water are also allowed.

PROHIBITED: Anything else.

EXPERT OPINION: This is a very misleading website, says Toronto-based registered dietitian Stephanie De Maio. It promises a fast, easy and customized weight-loss plan comprised of people's favourite foods. But the diet is, in fact, extremely restrictive in terms of food choices, she says.

"People who log on to the website will fall for its promises," De Maio says. "People feel in control of their diet when they can choose foods they like to eat."

Meals created by the diet generator are bizarre. De Maio lists some of the meals on her 11-day plan: "Day 1, Meal 1 is cheese sticks and cottage cheese. Another meal is 1 ounce of cheese and low-calorie salad dressing."

Foods on the meal plan are generally low in calories and carbohydrates and higher in protein. De Maio points out that many of these foods, such as luncheon meats, are high in sodium. These are poor choices, she adds, since the average Canadian already eats more more than the daily sodium allowance. The diet is also low in nutrient density and people who stick with the plan are in danger of becoming nutrient deficient.

People who do lose weight on this plan are likely losing water, not fat. As soon as the 11 days are up and people return to their old eating habits, any lost weight will be gained back, De Maio says. While there is a weight-loss concept based on zigzagging calories to increase metabolism, De Maio says it hasn't been proven scientifically.

"This is a very discouraging plan," she says. "Any weight loss will be extremely temporary. This is not a healthy, balanced way to lose weight."

The website's second weight loss plan is equally bizarre, De Maio says. "Their recommendation to avoid strenuous activity to burn fat is wrong," she says. "It is a fact that the harder you work out, the more calories you burn. Strenuous activities and weight-bearing activities that push muscles to 80 to 90 per cent heart rate do burn the most fat."

EXPERT VERDICT: "This is a low-calorie, low-carbohydrate diet that relies on foods low on the glycemic index. It's high in sodium and low in nutrients. People who try this diet will only last 11 days before they crave other foods, eat them and gain back any weight they lost. It's not worth the 20 pieces of paper I printed it on."

OUR VERDICT: Please, please, please don't try this diet.

Megan Ogilvie is a Toronto writer with a BSc in environmental science and an MSc from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Email health@thestar.ca.This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    I actually tried this diet last year. It does work, but you eat different foods in different combinations. It was just too weird for me. I have lost more weight on MFP than I have with any other diet. I weighed myself this morning ( just to check ) and I'm down another 3lbs!

Stick to healthy eating!
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    I googled this diet and also found that review from the 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet website..... I think you would be better off going back to the Doctor and asking for a 1500 calorie diabetic eating plan if you need something simple and easy to follow.

Slow and steady (and healthy) wins the race!
  • lietee
    well my doctor told me to try this one. he said it actually works i dont think it is intended for long term use just for a while then of course you must maintain healthy eating and exervize. so if anyone has the low down i am still interested in giving it a try i know the risks involvede but he recommended it and if it dont work then at least hell know better then to tell his patients to try it. But i guess right now itsw workeed for the people who have. ty for your concern
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    You know , sometimes I wonder about our doctors. I saw mine yesterday and asked him why I have not lost any weight (trying hard) in two months. He told me that I did not gain this weight from quitting smoking, that smoking kept me small and that this is my natural weight. I said, well I don't like my "natural" weight, he kind of chuckled and asked if my mother was fat, I said no and he said well see then it can be done. End of visit...Oh I was not impressed.
    So I agree with everyone else, stick with this...
    D
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Hey, I just noticed you are from Flin Flon, I am originally from Selkirk .....
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Well my advice is that "diets" don't work for the long haul of life. If you want to lose weight only to gain it back again then go for the idiots proof diet or many others out there like it. I have lost and gained the same 50 pounds more times than I care to count..atkins, weight watchers, nutri system, starving, puking, diet pills, etc. I have always wanted a quick fix and have always had success only to gain it back again. Once I reached my goal I just went back to old habits. You have to find a way to lose weight that you can live with once you reach your goal. It has taken me a year to lose 45 pounds, but I have not starved, nor eaten pre packaged foods, nor gone without bread, nor followed some strict fad diet. I have exercised... ALOT and have grown to LOVE it. I have eaten healthy but if I want a cookie, I eat A cookie..not an entire row of them.

We live in a world that wants quick fixes. Quick fixes are not the answer when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle. I have learned how to eat to live instead of living to eat. For the first time ever I feel sure I can maintain this weight loss b/c my past has shown me that going back to old habits will make me fat again.

Whatever path you choose to take to lose weight..be sure it is a way that you can live with forever. I eat 1500 calories a day and on days I exercise alot, sometimes I eat more and I am still losing weight. I can live with that. Plus a maintenance plan will add a few more calories to that.

Just be careful with the fad diets, especially those that you have to pay for. If someone was really looking out for the welfare of others then they would not be charging for their services. Sometimes things that are too good to be true are just that. Sometimes doctors give bad advice. Doctors are not
    God. They are human just like we are and they too can make bad decisions and give bad advice. So don't bank everything on one doctor's advice. Fad diets are not life changing diets. They might bring you results but those results may not last. Just be careful.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Do you know what they call the person who finishes last in their class in medical school?....Doctor!
  • shiloh25
    shiloh25 Posts: 30
    I just went to the doctor and he gave me simple guide lines to follow... he talked about how asian women live the longest in the world and are the most healthy because of their diet...he basically said that with every meal you should eat half of whatever you like along with fresh produce. (or frozen, but fresh is better) Green Leafy veggies are the best, and you should eat 5 to 6 times a day but in smaller portions. I have heard of this many times I just never followed it, once I tried it...it was so easy and I had so much more energy from my metabolism being raised from eating more often. It's funny, in Japan a meal is 2 pieces of sushi and a small bowl of miso soup but they eat frequently...here in the u.s we eat triple that for one meal and call that wholesome. I just think this is the easiest way without starving yourself and without depriving yourself. I have lost almost 25 lbs. doing this in 2 and a half months and it is amazing!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    You know, I wish I could get every person that is thinking of trying some fad diet in a room and spray em all with a power washer. Then, once I had their attention I could tell them, no diet is better then eating healthy and exercising. Why is that concept so elusive? Unless you have some specific reason for cutting out a certain type of food, there is no reason to do so.

Just look at the results of this site. What we do (and preach) works. I guess it's just our society's need to have it NOW. I mean, if a certain diet works for you...great, good for you (I really mean that). But we are omnivores, our bodies were genetically built to eat lots of different kinds of things, and perform best when we have all those things working for us. Limiting your food types just starves your body of a certain function, will it cause you to loose weight? Maybe, but not for the right reasons, just because your body is now confused and doesn't know how to process everything anymore. Once you start getting the right food in it again (because you can't diet for ever on one of these fad diets) your body will naturally over react and start hoarding the stuff it didn't have.

nuff said?
  • lietee
    HAHA well its settled i guess my doctor was the one whos an idiot. Byt why would he tell me to do such a stupid thing? Maybe he saw it as a quick fix to keep me quiet? Who knows! Thanx everyone for your replies!
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    Just like the rest of us, doctors are humans. They each have their own ideas and opionions, and say and do things based on those personal beliefs. Yes they do have more education on the body, but that doesn't mean they are always right. If you are uncomfortable or have doubts about anything a dr tells you, get a second or third opinion. But I think you will find that on this topic of healthy weight loss, most dr's will suggest good old fashioned healthy balanced eating and exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    That's why they call it "Practicing" medicine.....he he.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    I sometimes wonder if they have stock in what ever it is that they try to get us to use or do……just another form of padding their pockets and fleecing ours. :noway:
  • lietee
    I want to thank everyone on this site who posts comments to me. I appreciate that you do not judge or ridcule. I was on another site and posted that i was looking for information on that diet only to be called a "troll" and told that if they realized that the comments that they read earlier were also from me they wouldnt have been so "nice"

So i appreciate everyone here who is understanding of how it feels to be obease and I appreciate all your support
    :heart: