Week 4

Replies

• shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Week 4, here I come! I completed W3D3 on Friday and will be doing W4D1 on Monday. This week is a very busy work week for me, so I am hoping I will be able to keep up with my typical workout schedule.

How is everyone beginning Week 4 doing?
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Welcome to Week 4. I am redoing this week, I missed my run on Sunday, yep too much wine. So instead of skipping a day or messing up my schedule I will just redo it starting Wednesday. The following week though we will be on holiday so no running for me. Yes I know I could run on holiday but it's only for a few days and I am wearing boots the whole trip and don't plan on packing my trainers. Good luck everyone.
  • shydaisi
    W4D1 complete!!! I feel I did fairly well with the runs. Now that I am learning to control my breathing, it is starting to get a little easier. The longer runs are still mentally taxing, but the physical blocks are subsiding. I have noticed that my lung capacity is growing by leaps and bounds! In my Zumba class tonight, I did not get nearly as winded as I normally do towards the end. Also, I don't feel as though I am going to die towards the ends of the runs.

I am hoping that this week goes well. I am in accounting, so the end of the month and beginning of the next (basically this whole week) is really crazy work-wise - 12+ hour days. On top of that, I am having a root canal and crown put on Wednesday morning. I am hoping I can kick myself out of bed that morning early enough to do my run before my 8 a.m. appointment. Not looking forward to the numbness or the pain... Then, I may need to put my third run of the week off until Saturday as Friday will likely be a loooong day. I guess it doesn't matter what days on which they occur as long as they are completed, but I am one of those people who hates to deviate from a schedule - especially when the schedule is working.
  • curlygirlcami
    curlygirlcami Posts: 102 Member
    Finished Day 1 of Week 4. The five minute runs were hard, but I am glad that I actually can run for 5 minutes straight without stopping. That's something that I could never do before, let alone two it twice in 20 minutes! :-) Yay!

How's it going for everyone else this week?
  • shydaisi
    Finished Day 1 of Week 4. The five minute runs were hard, but I am glad that I actually can run for 5 minutes straight without stopping. That's something that I could never do before, let alone two it twice in 20 minutes! :-) Yay!

How's it going for everyone else this week?

I know, right?!? How amazing is it that we can say that we can run 16 out of 21.5 minutes?!?

I did W4D2 today. It went as well as could be expected. I am still nervous about next week as with the 5 minute runs I am kind of looking forward to the end of the run and relieved when the lady says to stop... Although so far I have been wary of the following week and did okay. I think that 20 minute run at the end of week 5 is working against me mentally!!!
  • curlygirlcami
    Day 2, Week 4. Completed!

Pushed myself (well, my husband helped to push me. :smile: ) Did two 10 minute runs today. I have never done that in my life. Wow. It was hard, but it feels good to have done that! We went 2.5 miles and I ran for 23 minutes and walked for like 7 minutes, counting a small warm up time. Can't wait to see what happens next week. I am so scared of the 20 minute run, but after day I am really wondering if it is possible! LOL Hopefully the answer is YES!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    It is time to move on to WK4 but for some reason I am having some ambivalence. I want to move forward and feel that I can but something is tethering me to WK3. Maybe it is because this is as far as I made it last time due to my foot. The feet are cruising along pretty good and I feel really good so fear be damned! Sunday morning this girl is moving on up. Funny how just getting your fear out in the open takes all it's power away! Cool stuff:)
  • curlygirlcami
    Day 3, Week 4 Done! Can't believe I have been doing this for a month and that I'm almost half way through the program.

I'll see you all in week 5. Keep up the good work!
  • shydaisi
    W4D3 complete!!! A couple of days later than I anticipated, but I did it! Off to the W5 thread...see you ladies there!

You can do this, Clifford2010!!!! Let's go!
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Ok, so last night I did W4D1. It was somewhat brutal. I really had a tough time controling my breathiing during the 5 min runs. But I just tried to slow down a bit and do the 3 count in/ 1 count out breathing. That seemed to help. Even though I completed all the runs, I still left feeling defeated. :( I guess it's because I struggled more than I thought I would. It just makes me feel like I have such a long way to go....
  • cln714
    I'm way behind everyone in this group. I'm awfully lonely back here in week 4. lol Oh well. Last night I did W4D2 and it was much better than the 1st run. It started off a bit rough and then got better. It takes me about 1 min to jog aroung the track at the gym so I use that as a gauge to let me know how much longer I have to go. On the last 5 min run I actually lost track of how many times I went around and thought I had 1 more to go when my C25K app lady said "stop". I was all too happy to stop but I thought that the fact that I would even lose track was a good sign as usually that's all I can think about!
  • shydaisi
    I feel lonely in Week 5! lol
    I just did W5D1 yesterday, so I think we will overlap just a bit. :)
  • cln714
    I feel lonely in Week 5! lol
    I just did W5D1 yesterday, so I think we will overlap just a bit. :)

Oh good!!! See you there! :tongue:
  • cln714
    I finished week 4 today. I am very very happy!!! I learned a couple of lessons (well, re-learned. this isn't my first attempt at this).

One being SLOW DOWN. I was killing myself and feeling defeated. I run at the track at the gym and I don't know if I was subconsciously trying to keep up with the more experienced runners or what, but I finally had to block all of that out, slow down to where my breathing was more managable. I didn't care if I was running side by side with someone that was actually walking. I was commited to doing what was right for me and my fitness level.
    Lesson two was: stop trying to keep track of how many times I went around and trying to predict when the my run would be over. I had to go into kind of a meditative state and just run.... Although, when I heard the word "stop" on my phone app, I was more than happy to comply. :)

I tend to have some stomach distress when I am getting used to running so I actually had to stop after the 1st 5 min run to visit the ladies room. :( I thought this was totally going to ruin things for me BUT as fate would have it, I accidentally completely turned off the C25k app on my phone and had to start over. When I got back to the track I decided to just do it all from the begining just to prove to myself that I could and that I really was ready for week 5. And ya know what, I did just fine. I walked much longer for my cooldown than necessary and was at the track for a good hour!!

So, long story short: lessons learned, mission accomplished, I am ready to enjoy the weekend and SO READY FOR WEEK 5!
  • shydaisi
    One being SLOW DOWN. I was killing myself and feeling defeated. I run at the track at the gym and I don't know if I was subconsciously trying to keep up with the more experienced runners or what, but I finally had to block all of that out, slow down to where my breathing was more managable. I didn't care if I was running side by side with someone that was actually walking. I was commited to doing what was right for me and my fitness level.
    Lesson two was: stop trying to keep track of how many times I went around and trying to predict when the my run would be over. I had to go into kind of a meditative state and just run.... Although, when I heard the word "stop" on my phone app, I was more than happy to comply. :)

I think I needed to learn these lessons too!!! I did my first run outside on a non-track type surface on Wednesday and it made a huge difference in my run. Like you said, before I had been mentally calculating how long it took to go around the track and then counting how many times I had been around to keep up with how much longer. Today, I was on a 2-mile outdoor paved loop and it was so much better. I liked that the half-miles and miles were marked, but since I had no way to "mark" my progress, I got more into the zone of running.

The slowing down is something I think I still need to learn... My pace is about 11:20 per mile, and that includes 5 minutes of walking. I did W5D2 today and while I was able to get through the two 8-minute runs, it was definitely a little more difficult to get through the last half of the second 8-minute run. This terrifies me about the 20-minute run on W5D3...If I can barely do 8, how will I be able to do 20?!? However, if I slow down, maybe it will be easier?
  • cln714
    You are going much, MUCH faster than I am. When I was going too fast (for me) I was thinking what you said, how am I going to run for 20 mins in just a week when I am really struggling with the 5. But when I slowed down to where I could breath I thought to myself, I think I could do this for 20 mins..... Ya know, in a weeks time.

At the pace you are going, it sounds like you're doing GREAT and you'll be just fine with the 20 min run if you just pay attention to your breathing and slow down to a pace to where you are comfortable. I can't wait to hear how you do!!
  • Just finished week 3 (furthest I've ever got on the programme) so figured I'd read up on everyone's week 4 experience since even the idea of 5mins running is daunting. (This coming from someone who has signed up for a 10k at the end of May :laugh: )

S-L-O-W is the plan cause I do get the idea in my head I CAN run and set off like gazelle only to be wheezing very quickly.

Here's to tomorrow.
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    Hows week 4 going Alexia? I start w4d1 tomorrow. I was scared of w3 and survived so I guess here goes!
  • Slightly disappointed with myself cause I haven't started it yet :noway:

I started back at bootcamp this week (after a break of a couple of months) and I could barely move the days after those 2 sessions. However I know I CAN do it cause I had to do 3 laps of a little park during bootcamp and I did that in 6mins 22 so 5mins in W4 should be good to go!

Just in from work so it's W4D1 tonight then day 2 on Saturday before back to bootcamp on Sunday - phew!

Good luck for tomorrow
  • lawoods
    lawoods Posts: 56 Member
    I finally did w4d1 tonight. Survived better than I expected. It seems possible now!