What does everyone plan to do for winter exercising?

Hi all, the weather in Vermont is finally changing over to real fall weather and I was thinking ahead to winter(UGH) and was wondering what all of you were going to do when there is white stuff on the ground. Well at least around here we have white stuff on the ground. I am planning on getting snowshoes this year and my daughter and I are going snowshoeing (SP?) around our land. I really need something that gets me out and moving or I go into bear mode and hibernate on the couch in front of the tv. I'm afraid to ski because I am a bus driver and my vehicles are all standards and I can't afford to break a leg. Maybe I can try crosscountry sking I wonder if that has a lot of hills involved.

Replies

• kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Hi all, the weather in Vermont is finally changing over to real fall weather and I was thinking ahead to winter(UGH) and was wondering what all of you were going to do when there is white stuff on the ground. Well at least around here we have white stuff on the ground. I am planning on getting snowshoes this year and my daughter and I are going snowshoeing (SP?) around our land. I really need something that gets me out and moving or I go into bear mode and hibernate on the couch in front of the tv. I'm afraid to ski because I am a bus driver and my vehicles are all standards and I can't afford to break a leg. Maybe I can try crosscountry sking I wonder if that has a lot of hills involved.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Well, I'll stick to jogging in place while watching my fave show, my workout dvd's (Billy Blanks Tae Bo & Turbo Jam), hop on my treadmill & will get an eliptical(sp?)
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Our family joined a local YMCA. The price is good AND they have childcare. If it weren't 4 that, I would never have time to exercise.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    I'll be sticking to my gym routine.

Found a great place with childcare and GREAT classes. I've done the step class once a week for the past 4 weeks and I LOVE it. They also have spin, body conditioning, and yoga. I'm stoked to try the yoga and can't wait until they add the kickboxing class. It's a brand new gym so the class schedule is a little scattered but they're adding new ones every month!

I never thought I'd want to go to the gym, but I do!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Hopefully shoveling a lot of snow!!!!! Minnesota has been in a snow deficit for the past three winters and I love snow. Besides that shoveling is great exercise. Should work in Vermont as well.

Taking my dog on long outdoor hikes is a favorite winter passtime too.

Then there is skating (hockey skates are a million times easier than figure skates).

When all else fails and I can't get outside the gym will have to do. I use the pool more in the winter since I can't swim in the lakes.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    I will continue my love/hate relationship with shoveling the snow. Strength training and stair climbing. I'm in the process of sprucing up the basement to be a pleasant area for working out. Hopefully I'll spend a lot of time there.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    I want to try iceskating this year with my kids.
    Oh, and ofcourse sledding.
  • I work out to FitnessTV. Its really great and you really feel the burn or you can do Yoga.
  • kjllose
    Well sounds like everyone has a plan, Yea for all of us. I am a half an hour away from any city that has classes and gas is so expensive,so I really have to invent my own for winter. But I am driving an hour right now to take a belly dancing class. It really keeps me limber so i think it's worth it. I really think I would like the step class kind of thing. Do they have those on DVD's ? Then I could do those on days I don't want to snowshoe. You know those really cold days in the middle of winter. I really like snow too but I am hoping it holds off for awhile yet as my daughter is just starting to get her house built. Wish us luck.
  • sassycass
    sassycass Posts: 18 Member
    I'm hoping to have my exercise bike repaired soon (missing a bushing/nut on the left pedal) so I'll be biking every am, as well as doing this pilates video I have.

The ice skating is a good idea! I may have to try that, too :)
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Shoveling will be good, bad for the back though, be careful. Especially with wet snow.

I will be running on the tread mill, 5 days on, 1 day off, 1 day of the stair master or eliptical instead to mix it up. Hopefully by the time we get snow, I'll be up to 20 minutes at 8.5 mph.
    I'm close now, I'm at 14 minutes and 7 mph. I plan on adding .5 mph and 1 minute every
    2 weeks. What I don't want to do is get into a rut. Once I hit 8.5 for a month or so, I might switch to the stationary bike for a few weeks.

My trainer (wife) tells me that the body will adjust to an exercise if you do it for too long, I.E. your body is lazy and will try to use the least amount of calories it can. Once your muscles get used to running, they will burn less calories as they become more efficient at it, so it's best to change up your routine ever couple of months to make your body work harder.
  • kjllose
    Hey does anyone know how much room an elliptical machine takes up? Are they super expensive? My treadmill folds up so if I could fit both in the living room( which is where everything is so far) that would be great. I haven't worked up the nerve to go find them yet.
  • I have been lurking on eBay for a local used tread or elliptical. I would like 1 of each so hubby and I can use them together. I won't have as much time during the holidays to get to the gym so I would like to get them in the next month or so.
  • I'm a big fan of DVD workouts during the winter. I have quite a collection: Pilates, Yoga, Tae Bo, Turbo Jam, etc. I switch it up all the time that way my muscles don't get used to any one workout. I really like 10 minute Solutions-Rapid Results Pilates. It contains 5 - ten minute segments-each targeting a different area of the body. You can do all 50 minutes or you can do just the 10 min arm workout if you've already walked, for example. I also recommend Windsor Pilates Advanced Body Slimming, I've done this routinely and it's had a big impact on thinning my thighs!
    Denise Austin has a show on LIFE at 6:00 AM weekday mornings called Fit and Lite. Amen for TiVo! I record this and do it when I wake up. It is a good warm up for a morning workout, or for a quick morning extra if you workout in the afternoon. It really is a good eye opener. Denise combines aerobic exercise, calisthenics, yoga and pilates for a low level of difficulty workout that is different every day. She focuses a lot on stretching and waking the muscles. It really works!
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Luckily for me, I am in So Calif. Weather not a huge factor, however it is sort of raining today!! Actually just a medium drizzle. Just finished an hour and ten minute walk with my dog. Jeez, what a bunch of wimps here............!! There are usually tons of people out walking and today - no one!?!? Lightweights!! Even my dog, who HATES water/rain didn't notice the rain.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    For those of you looking for exercise equipment, check Craigslist. My sister found both her bike and treadmill there for cheap!

I'll be walking at lunch and riding my bike at home. I also work out to Fit TV. There are many different programs.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    We bit the bullet and bought ourselves an exercise bike, elliptical, and small weight center. We already have the ball and a rower from previously. I couldn't convince my husband to join the gym with me, so we're going the home route. The main thing to keep myself on track will be to write myself a program and then follow it! I also have to, have to, have music. So we have a stereo set up in there.
  • sturge161
    sturge161 Posts: 37 Member
    I live in an apartment and we have a workout room so I guess I will be there more often. I try to do some video workouts but I live on the 3rd floor and I don't want my poor downstairs neighbors to have to listen to me jump around. Also, in Virginia, we rarely get snow so maybe I can continue rollerblading sometimes.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I found this article as I was looking for something else.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/7331/1/Winter-Exercise-Tips.html