Cheat days broke my plateau!

So I was stuck at around 157-159 for almost two weeks... well last Sun/Mon I gorged... badly (6000+ cals over two days) not out of desire but out of stress from something... anyway I've eaten my target calories since and I finally broke the plateau and lost 2 lbs this week :).... messing with cheat calories really does work

Replies

• It was really weird the first time this happened to me. I was on a plateu for over 2 weeks, and I did this by accident and it happened.

But since I have used it every time I get annoyed with zero weight loss, always seems to work. Takes about 1-2 days going over, and then you have to slightly undereat the next day, then hit your calorie goal every day after and it should go down.

Cant do this too frequetntly though, or you just gain weight lol
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    I tell people this all the time when they complain about their plateaus, but hey never listen. Good job on breaking your plateau! :)
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Great news, good on you!!! xx
  • Good for you! I've had this happen to me before, I got so fed up with no weight loss that I went out for a MASSIVE dinner and a couple days later I lost a couple pounds
  • Funny how I always get a good loss in the week after a day's off splurge! Just had a heavy Saturday where I ate a piece of cake that had 600+ cals and lots of bread and butter, and this morning saw a drop of 1/2 lb!
  • I wonder if this will work after christmas dinner....
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Same here!
    I lost 64 lbs from 262 to 198, and my walls were 230, 211 and 200.
    For some reason when those weights were reached, I'd stall and start creeping back up.

Anyway, it was the weekly feedings that kept me focused and shocked my body's stifled metabolism.
    And success is now MINE!

It's a great feeling to fit in normal clothes, be complimented by those around you and feel like something other than a fat, unlovable slug. Being fat was miserable, but I denied it until a saw what a hog I looked like in a picture somebody took.
    Anyway, 13 more lbs to go to peak fitness!

Have a "free day" folks! It's fun and it helps you reach your goals.

• Anyway, it was the weekly feedings that kept me focused and shocked my body's stifled metabolism.
    And success is now MINE!

Have a "free day" folks! It's fun and it helps you reach your goals.

This is so true. I plan my days off (every 4 weeks or so). It gives me something to look forward to, and helps me keep focussed on the clean eating inbetween times. You don't need to cheat when you've a 'free day' that comes around pretty frequently.
  • I wonder if this will work after christmas dinner....

Only time will tell. I plan to have 2 days off over Christmas, and then strictly low carb and high protein for the week following. It'll be worth it. Let's face it, 2 days isn't going to negate all the hard work I've already achieved, so I'm feeling no guilt here : )
  • sammywil
    sammywil Posts: 104
    I wonder if this will work after christmas dinner....

Im banking on it working :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    I often lose after what I call my beer and pizza diet! I'm probably due one soon, actually...
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    To explain why it happens: There is a hormone called Leptin, which is responsible for fat burning (besides other things). Eating on a calorie deficit for a longer period of time decreses Leptin levels. Increasing your calories for a day or so brings leptin levels back to normal. Simples :D
  • To explain why it happens: There is a hormone called Leptin, which is responsible for fat burning (besides other things). Eating on a calorie deficit for a longer period of time decreses Leptin levels. Increasing your calories for a day or so brings leptin levels back to normal. Simples :D

Hmm thats actually very interesting, I will have to remember that
  • knato3
    knato3 Posts: 13
    Trainers at my gym encourage me to do this. I've even heard them plan their cheat meals!! From what they've said it should only be once a week.

My opinion - make it count. If I know I'm heading out for dinner with the girls on weekend it makes it much easier to say no to the biscuits in the staffroom. I try to plan my cheat meals.

I also prefer to call them Treat Meals - cos psychologically a cheat is a negative thing, which for me would lead to guilt. A treat is a positive thing - I've worked hard so I deserve it - no guilt.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    I wonder if this will work after christmas dinner....

I'm hoping it does! Or at least that I don't gain! I'm going to loosen up the reigns for a few days around Christmas, when there will be many of my favorite homemade foods around!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    True story. My diet has been crap this past week! I've been preparing for an exam and not focusing on my eating, and I've lost weight without even trying.
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    I've done exactly the same last week and whooop, I lost - like a miracle - just makes me feel better about having been naughty LOL
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    So I was stuck at around 157-159 for almost two weeks... well last Sun/Mon I gorged... badly (6000+ cals over two days) not out of desire but out of stress from something... anyway I've eaten my target calories since and I finally broke the plateau and lost 2 lbs this week :).... messing with cheat calories really does work

BUMP....

I will try this myself...
  • Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member

:bigsmile: That's what I'm doing too.

It's been two weeks.:grumble: So the last couple days I've been having a free for all. Of course I'm going to be seriously depressed if I just end up gaining more but since nothing else is working..:drinker:
  • If I don't see a weight change by Sunday I'm really gonna have a cheat day.