YIKES the holidays are just around the corner.....

Any tips on how to prepare for the inevitable parties and dinners?

Replies

• SugarBearRetired
    SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
    Any tips on how to prepare for the inevitable parties and dinners?
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    They say to make sure you drink water before and during, eat veggies/a salad before you go, try to pick healthy options...

As for my plans, since this is a lifestyle change, there are certain things that I REALLY like and then there are the things that I'm indifferent to and can do without. I just need to be aware of portion control and not overeating. If I want mashed potatoes and gravy, I'll have a serving of them. I'm not so enchanted with pumpkin pie so I can skip that. I think if I try to go through the holidays depriving myself of the things I love then I will feel resentful and will be more likely to not stick to my new eating habits. In fact, that's pretty much how I go about everyday. Someone gave me some Lindor Truffles a few weeks ago. I ate one a day, tracked it, and they were fabulous. If they had been Hershey Kisses I would have given them away as they aren't worth the calories to me. I don't think that "dieting" has to or should be about giving everything up. On the other hand, I don't think it has to be about filling ourselves up with things we don't like either. And, with the exercise component it's really just a matter of fitting in a longer workout or something extra - playing a game of football in the backyard with the kids, dancing to all the 'fast' songs, taking a walk through the neighborhood to look at holiday lights...

Anyway, hope that however you choose to approach the holidays that it turns out to be successful for you!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    yes, i just put in my browser no fat pumpkin desserts and quite a few recipes came up. i am going to try the cheesecake using tofu. that sounds good. if you have a serving of potatoes eat a handful of pistachios, they will digest slower.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Big thing is to stay away from grazing. If you know there will be finger foods at a party, eat before you go, so you aren't as tempted (this is a good tip when ever going out where there will be food). If you go and are tempted, try to stick with the veggie foods. If they don't have any veggies, take the person throwing the party out back, and smack them around for throwing a party from the 70's! :)
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I used to eat before I went somewhere so I would feel full, but it doesn't work for me. I eat anyway and just get more full. So I gave that idea up.

I wrote this before, but it really does work for me: I bake and cook so, so, so many holiday cookies, treats, etc that I can't bear the thought of eating such things because it makes me feel ill.

This year I am going to attempt portion control, with a slight indulgence every now and then. I also try to bring healthy foods when I go to a party. Shrimp, olives, and of course fruit and veggies.

When I entertain, I don't put desserts out at all until very late in the 'party' or after dinner. Then I usually put out one tray with bite size pieces of treats rather than full servings.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    I am lucky, I guess. I almost always lose weight around the holidays. I think it's due to running around so much. I'm really into decorating and stuff. I think from Halloween right through to Christmas Day, I rarely sit down for more than 5 minutes at a time. The main thing I have to watch out for is alcohol.....!!
    That's a killer. Then it makes you eat more the next day as well