snipping this from another thread, touching pregnant ladies

AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
yes or no? Do you? would you?

I personally was never purposefully touched by a random person when I was pregnant. I chatted on a parenting and pregnancy board more then and was surprised by the number of women who said that their bellies were regularly molested by strangers. The people I love, rub away, but strangers? I find that’s really imposing. I was never touched in 9 months, I must give off a really strong ***** vibe. I also would never touch someone else’s belly without being invited to do so, hello personal space!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    If this ever happened to me, polite Q would take a hike. I don't like to be touched by people I don't know. Hell, I don't like to be touched by some people I DO know.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    I have been touched and it creeped me out but it was an old lady and she just touched it briefly so I kept my composure. But, when the baby was tiny and some woman was getting in her face, my husband told her NOT to touch his daughter. It was embarrasing and exhilarating all at once.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Don't touch me whether I'm pregnant or not. I have a bubble of space that needs not be invaded. Especially when pregnant. My husband said I gave a nurse the death glare when she touched my stomach (and she actually needed to).
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    :smile: I think it's all individual... MOST people don't go around just touching others without permission. I was never 'belly felt' by those who did not know me. I don't think I would have freaked out, but I do think I would have been wierded out by it. :heart:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I have no children nor plan to. But I can wholeheartedly say that if some strange person attempted to rub my belly they would pull back a stump. I have serious personal space issues. It's ridiculous for people to assume that it's ok to invade someone's space like that, unless permission was asked and granted.

I have never felt the desire to touch a pregnant stomach, EXCEPT in the case of my own sister. And that was only at the end when you could literally see baby toes outlined from the outside. That's some freaky *kitten* right there!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Pregnant or not, uninvited touching from someone you don't have an understanding with (like a loved one) should result in some kung fu smackdown.

3531430500_f2f6a0bee0.jpg
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    When I was pregnant no one touched me. I wouldnt have minded as long as they ask first!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I have been touched and it creeped me out but it was an old lady and she just touched it briefly so I kept my composure. But, when the baby was tiny and some woman was getting in her face, my husband told her NOT to touch his daughter. It was embarrasing and exhilarating all at once.

Oh man, when he was a baby I always had those mittens on his hands, the ones that keep them from scratching themselves. DH asked why I was so insistent (I would chew him out if he forgot) I told him, "when random, uninvited people touch him they go for his hands even when I ask them not to, and then he touches his face or puts them in his mouth. I don’t know where those people’s hands have been.” I couldn’t stand it when people thought that just because he was little and cute they could touch him. Hello, it’s flu season and at 3 weeks old he’s too little for the H1N1 vaccine asshats!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I've never been pregnant but when I was younger (about 20) I had waist-length hair, and on two different occasions random strangers felt free to start running their fingers through my hair. I was completely freaked out so I can imagine I wouldn't react well to having my belly touched. It's really weird to touch strangers like that.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    I haven't been pregnant yet, have been touched numerous time followed by the: how many months question.

Every time by older ladies...

I would never do that to a pregnant lady, unless you insist and then again, I don't feel comfortable doing it, so I try not to.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    I'm not a touchy person at all (when sober, so full pregnant time :-) ) and was regularly belly rubbed by people when pregnant with both of mine. No thank you, hands to yourself. I handed out icey glares at anyone who dared.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    This thread brings back bad memories from the psycho babycenter forums..... *eye twitches*
  • AussieNikki
    AussieNikki Posts: 169 Member
    I think the rule we learnt as kids should apply all through life. Keep our hands to ourselves!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    I've never been pregnant but when I was younger (about 20) I had waist-length hair, and on two different occasions random strangers felt free to start running their fingers through my hair. I was completely freaked out so I can imagine I wouldn't react well to having my belly touched. It's really weird to touch strangers like that.

Yes the hair - happened to me quite a few times... last time was some crazy man on the subway, then another man stood up, told him to back off and stop touching people before I could even react.

I would never purposefully touch anyone I didn't know.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I would never. I am really weird about my personal space and try not to invade others' as a result.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    People seem to forget that the fleshy part surrounding the baby is a human being. It's weird.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    I try to touch every woman I see, pregnant or not :flowerforyou:

creep1.jpg
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    I've never touched a pregnant woman without asking, but when I was pregnant with twins, people were beyond fascinated. I had one girl who was a sales rep at a newspaper where I worked and she would sit by me and scratch my belly for me. It itched so so so so so bad. She did ask first though.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Touch.
    Touch.
    Touch.
    Touch.

Touch.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    I worked in customer service, and yea.., a lot of people felt the need to touch my belly, and act like I'm their best friend, it was weird. Just because I get paid to be friendly doesn't mean I'm your friend and you can touch me! Once while I was at Harris teeter and about to check out, I was carrying my baby and this older lady cashier took my baby out of my arms...I was stunned..