Sugar makes me sleepy

mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
Okay so I just cheated and had one of my son's fruit snacks. It has quite a bit of sugar in it. Fifteen minutes after eating it I feel SO sleepy! Does sugar effect anyone else this way? I tend to do the opposite of what medicines or caffiene does to most people. Caffiene makes me sleepy and medicines that cause drowsiness make me stay awake and medicines that can cause children to be wired, make me very tired. Maybe I'm just weird.
But it is kind of neat to find out what certain foods can cause you to feel like. The day after eating pizza, ice cream or other kinds of junk, I am really grouchy. And wheat products make me depressed, very tired, and emotional.
Anyone else notice things like this?

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Okay so I just cheated and had one of my son's fruit snacks. It has quite a bit of sugar in it. Fifteen minutes after eating it I feel SO sleepy! Does sugar effect anyone else this way? I tend to do the opposite of what medicines or caffiene does to most people. Caffiene makes me sleepy and medicines that cause drowsiness make me stay awake and medicines that can cause children to be wired, make me very tired. Maybe I'm just weird.
    But it is kind of neat to find out what certain foods can cause you to feel like. The day after eating pizza, ice cream or other kinds of junk, I am really grouchy. And wheat products make me depressed, very tired, and emotional.
    Anyone else notice things like this?
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    i just read a reply from a lady yesterday that was saying she got an upset stomach. sugar will give you a quick high and a rapid crash to your blood sugar levels. that is what causes your reaction. if you eat low glycemic fruits and vegetables that will not happen.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    No you are not alone. I tend to get sleepy also. I often have the opposite reactions to medicines. Although caffiene usually gives me a boost but once I fall I fall hard.

Corn and barley products give me migraines, and make me swell they also make me very tired.

I generally just stay as clear as I can from them I am not sure there is anything that you can specifically do to keep it from happening.

Eve
  • integrity
    integrity Posts: 7 Member
    Hi,
    I have found food tolerances to be an enigma most of my life and am finally getting a handle on exactly what my body wants and doesn't want. Your reactions can be associated with many things such as spurts of high energy followed by low blood sugar crashes, allergies, intolerances, or just the way you metabolize them/or not.

I struggled with low blood sugar crashes for years until I finally found out that I was not gluten intolerant (found in wheat and other grains). 1 in 133 Americans are gluten intolerant and many don't know it. If you are, it affects your ability to absorb nutritients from foods and therefore also affects how you are able to digest food, resulting in tiredness, malnutrition (even though you are eating plenty), blood sugar, etc. After this was diagnosed with a blood test along with other food allergies and when I stayed away from forbidden foods, I no longer have trouble with tiredness from low blood sugar or other reactions.

If it affects you regularly and infringes upon your everyday activities you may want to consult with your doctor and a nutritionist to identify any underlying factors.

Good Luck,

Kim Kies; Wellness Coach
This discussion has been closed.