Exercise Calories

Options
NTBoard
NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
For those of you that are doing LOTS of exercise, are you eating all of the calories you earn from it? I am struggling with that as I have to work to eat the calories I earn from my 30 minute bike rides. Some nights I could fit in more exercise but I don't know how I'd eat the calories I earn without resorting to junk just to fill in the numbers... Just curious as to what others are doing! Thanks!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
Niccole

Replies

• NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    For those of you that are doing LOTS of exercise, are you eating all of the calories you earn from it? I am struggling with that as I have to work to eat the calories I earn from my 30 minute bike rides. Some nights I could fit in more exercise but I don't know how I'd eat the calories I earn without resorting to junk just to fill in the numbers... Just curious as to what others are doing! Thanks!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i spoke with my personal trainer about this and she recommended that i keep my calories 1200-1300 per day. the first day i increased my exercise i was mad hungry so i ate baby spinach leaves as a snack or an apple or an orange. you fill in with foods like that. put in your browser foods that burn fat and those foods are ok to fill in with.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    On my heavy exercise days, I'm usually under by 4-5hundred calories, but I try to eat at least half of what I burn back. I used to eat less, but my nutritionist looked at my diary and said "clearly, you're not eating enough"...so I guess all advice is different, but this is what's working for me.

I normally eat 1500 calories a day, as I'm after moderate, lasting weight loss. For me, less calories than that means I stop losing weight and also I get ill very easily. My BMR is 1900 calories, so I think 400 (without exercising) is enough of a deficit.

I live in the city and don't drive, so even on my "off" days I average an hour of walking just to get around, so I need the food as my gasoline.

thinking positive right back at ya'.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard time eating my base calories of 1260 on most days. I have always had a problem eating breakfast and now that I am walking for approx 1 and 1/2 hours each morning I dont eat anything until after 10AM and I'm not really hungry since I just exercised. Then I dont eat lunch until around 2 and then dinner no later than 7. Eating so close together ( and adding fruit/nuts/string cheese for snacks) I'm never really hungry. Then I'm supposed to add approx 350 - 400 addt'l calories to the 1260 for walking. Forget about it if I do weight training or aerobics on top of it. I find that often I'm at about 900 - 1000for the day and I dont want to add a bunch of junk or snacks after dinner, so I eat nothing after 7. I know this isn't good.
    I cant eat right when I get up ( have never been able to eat in the early mornings) and then I get so reved (sp?) up from walking/working out that I dont want to eat. I have to try and add more calories to each meal - but haven't figured out what yet.
    I did go to cr***cr**nch.com,( tee hee) but those meals aren't going to work for me ( shredded chicken for breakfast - eek!!! I can barely get down yogurt or a bowl of cereal in the mornings).
This discussion has been closed.