T.H.E (Trying Hard Everyday) TEAM ~~> Week 15!

Replies

• LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    I had to toot my horn and say that I FINALLY have the salt thing under control!! Day 3 of being even or UNDER on my salt intake and I have eaten like a pig!!

Yesterday was a rest day for me....and I ate the following:

Breakfast:
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tbsp dried cranberries
    2 tbsp strawberry protein powder
    1 tsp butter

2 lean protein smoothies (1 am snack, 1 for a pm snack)

Lunch
    Sandwhich made with Whole wheat bread, 3oz of Chicken lunch meat, lettuce, tomato, 1TBSP mayo and mustard.
    1 medium apple
    1 string cheese

Dinner
    4oz baked Salmon, 1/2 cup of pasta salad (i used 2 parts ff plain yogurt and 1 part light mayo for the dressing), 1 cup of mixed leafy veggies (cabbage, broccoli & peppers)

Evening snack:
    2 cups of 1% milk with 2 TBSP nesquick (yep!! even got that in there! LOL)

AND....not only that, Ive been able to get ALLLLL my water in too for several days in a row now!!
    Its about flipping time!
    :wink:
  • stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Hey, Cyndi - I am not a smoker, but my mom is and has gotten this information about quitting:

Eat grapefruit - it helps detoxify your body and will help get the cravings to subside quicker.
    When you feel like smoking, gargle - strong mint or cinnamon flavors are best. You could also get some of those dissolve on your tongue things.

Sassiebritches has done hypnotherapy and that seems to be working for her.

WARNING: Science content -

Tobacco - like many addictive substances promotes the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine. So do foods high in protein. Maybe increase protein consumption? Also, if you feel a craving, try exercise - which releases endorphins.
  • cyndeebee
    cyndeebee Posts: 249 Member
    LI4G...

I haven't attempted to quit smoking yet (this time), but my doctor is going to discuss options with me on my next visit.
    Have you seen ads for the inhaler? I think the same people who make Nicorettes also make the inhaler. Someone I know tried it, and they said it was pretty good. But I have no idea how much it costs...
    What I have done lately - cut down. In Canada, if you buy cigarettes from a convenience store, the price is around $8, but most people I know buy a carton - cheap - from the Reservations. They're dirt cheap there, but the brands are gross. But gross cigarettes are a good way to cut down.
    About a year ago, I read that experts DO recommend the "cutting back" method. You keep a journal of how much you smoke, cut it back gradually - and the theory behind that is that it took you a certain period of time to get the nicotine into your system and build your addiction. Therefore, you can also "undo" the addiction if you cut back. But you have to do it gradually. E.G. If you smoke 20 a day, you cut it to 19 for 2 or 3 days...then on to 18...and if you get to about 15 and you're starting to get antsy, you stay at 15 for a week or two...

Don't know if any of this helps, but I'm crossing my fingers for you.
    I also heard of grapefruit juice...and raw vegetables. Carrot sticks are about the same size as a cig, so it gives you the false sensation of putting a "healthy cigarette" to your lips...

And I'm working on the sodium and water thing, too. Slowly, but surely, I've got my water up to 5 a day, and my sodium has been slightly under for the past 2 days. I already feel much better.

There must be a difference in our time zones. Most of you just got on here, and I'm only an hour or two away from my bed.

Have a good night, everyone.
  • LosingIt4good
    Thanks for the info guys!!!

Kristi- Grapefruit....hmm! I love grapefruit so I'll see about finding it on sale and giving that a try. I have a pretty strict grocery budget right now. I spent $120 at the store today, used coupons and saved over $100. I stock up on stuff when its on sale and buy produce, milk & eggs each time I go which will last our family of 5 a week. The last 2 weeks Ive gone, Ive spent around $100 and saved more than $100. So if I can feed out family of 5 for $30 a week Im doin pretty good! :) On the protien side, I eat alot of it on this new eating plan Im doing. Im doing the 50% carb, 30% protien, 20% fat. Its easy and my body seems to be doing ok with it. The mint strips are a good idea! I did sugar free mints the last time and it worked pretty good for me. hmmmmmm!

Cyndee- hubby bought one of those electric cigs in florida. Its smokeless and still delivers nicotine, but does not smell since its smokeless. I may give that a try. Inhalers...havent tried that.. may be worth a shot if they arent too spendy. I go through a pack every 2 days or so, depending. I can go a whole day without one, but the mornings and nights are my absolute worst. Same when Im driving! I may have to go get a real job just so I can quit... LOL At least keep my mind off of it for a majority of the day! If Im busy, I dont even think about it.

Adopt4 is here to see the babies... gotta run!
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    LI4G - use straws!! They were a life saver for me when I quit. It give the same oral feeling as smoking without the cig:smokin: I used in straw in my drinks and also kept one handy to just chew on. It only takes a few days to get all the nicotine out of your system - the rest is all about habit - just like everything else you are doing to get healthy. I also bought a pack of fake cigarettes at Walgreens - they look just like a cigarette but you don't light it and when you puff it gives your mouth the same sensation and taste as smoking - bizarre - but I used those for the time when the habit was hardest to break - like after a meal, or sitting outside talking on the phone... whenever you have really weak moments.

I'm sending you alllllll my positive energy.:flowerforyou:
  • Li4g- I'm so amazed you smoked and lost 31 pounds! Just think what you will lose when you kick the smokes! I've never smoked but can sympathize with the addicting/habit part of smoking. We are cheering for you :flowerforyou:

Went for my "run" tonight. I am actually doing more running than walking, I think. Ran 6 minutes straight last night, then 2/3 minute intervals with 1 minute rest for the remainder. Tonight I took it easy and didn't even wear my watch. I went the same route and made it home in the same time.

Eating has been going well the last few days. Stayed away from processed and sodium foods and it was easy to stay on track. I did get a little hungry and drank my water to fill me up before supper time.

Keep it up gang! We are winning!
  • LosingIt4good
    Thanks lulu- have tried straws in the past. Might have to exchange my cigs for water with a straw. Boy wont that get my water in!!! LOL

Mom- Yeah, I know. Ive smoked since I was 15 tho, so for 20 years now. Only time I quit for any length of time was during my first pregnancy. Started smoking again when she was about 3 months old. I wish now I hadnt started again, but I was young (17) and thought I knew everything. LOL I quit last fall for about 2 weeks. Then just completely fell off the wagon when we had a party and I had some wine and caved. Drinking & smoking....2 things that are bad for me and has always gotten me!

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I pretty much went on a spree through the house and found 1/2 a pack I had stashed in a coat and forgot about it. Gonna make these last for days and days....then just not buy more. Morgolis smokes too, but hes been harping on me to quit. If I do, he will and its a bit easier for him than me. Its wierd...he smokes more, but seems to be able to make it longer than me when it comes to staying away from them. :glasses:
  • cyndeebee
    Good luck with the quit smoking!
    Maybe I'll be next...

I have to say that I'm so jealous of Americans and grocery shopping. A friend told me that groceries are ridiculously cheap in the U.S., compared to Canada...because you have coupons! Even though it's just me and my daughter (age almost 12), we easily spend $400+ a month on food. And the price of food just went way up, over the past few months. I used to be able to buy pasta for 99cents, and now it's jumped to about $2.35. Cereal...over $5 a box. I spend almost as much money on groceries as I do on housing.

I managed, again, to stay within calories...and sodium...yesterday. I was going to have a pear late at night, but I checked my calories first...so no pear. It would have put me over. Who knew that fruit could become a taboo?
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Ok, ya'll, I have to brag... I went to a Fitness Boot Camp at the gym tonight, 60 mins of all kinds of things... started out with 12 people, ended with 7... I was BY FAR the biggest person there, probably by 100 pounds... and I made it the whole time! I couldn't do everything as long as or as well as we were supposed to... but I didn't QUIT and I didn't WHINE and I didn't COMPLAIN (which is more than I can say for a lot of the "skinny" folk)....

Burned 1400 cals, which screws me up for the day, as there's no way I can eat that now... but oh well, one day of a deficit won't hurt me. As I sit here every muscle is shaking and I can barely type...

BUT I DID IT!!! I'm actually looking forward to the next one so I can see how much I can improve and how my stamina might increase!!!

I'm so proud of me!

WTG adopt4! So proud of you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jamielbeck
    ok... so.... I have a real delima here....

I ran out of ciggarettes a couple hours ago. Was gonna buy some when I when grocery shopping and they wanted $6.88 for 1 pack! I was like "oh helllll no!" I know the taxes went up, but Im sorry, I refuse to pay almost $7 for a pack. So, I didnt buy any and was real cool with that.

Well, I just ate lunch. A big lunch, so Im totally not hungry. But the habit to have a cig is there when Im done eating. Still dont want to spend the $7 and buy a pack. :laugh: Will attempt to quit first!!

I cant do the gum cuz I have TMJ so all gum's make my jaw sore, even the chew and park it kind. Cant do the patch because it makes me sick. So what I wanna know is....Any other anti-smoker quitters out there have any helpful hints for getting past the bad cravings? I know its a matter of time and in the past Ive quit for a month and picked it back up again, but now its just too damn expensive.

Help!!!!:grumble:

I hope it works for you Li4g! I'm not a smoker, I am all for you quitting! I've watched my grandmother and friends go through this up and down with smoking. For some cold turkey was the key while I had another friend who replaced the oral fixation of cigs with gum or dum dum lollipops.
    p.s...those kitties are ADORABLE!!!! :happy:
  • DWray44
    DWray44 Posts: 76
    Hey everyone! Still no word on my possible pregnancy, but I'll let you know when I know! I'm remaining positive, and trying to keep my mind occupied. So, hubby and I spent the weekend working in the yard, cleaning house, and riding bikes. It was so much fun!!

Trying to do all I need to do outside and upstairs before my surgery on Friday, so that's keeping me pretty busy! OH, i got the cutest thing ever in the mail the other day from my 8 year old niece. Apparently they're reading some books about "Flat Stanley"(this, I know nothing about), but anyway, she sent us a life sized cut out of herself, and we're to take her "Flat Emma" around with us and take pictures and send it back to her to take to school, LOL :laugh: I think it's hilarious, so Tony's taking her to the Opry with him this weekend, and we're taking her to some friends house with us tomorrow night to play Twister, LOL I'm going to talk Tom T into having his picture taken with it too, that will be funny!

Hope everyone has a great day...feels like a Monday, and I hate that, even when it IS Monday! :sad:
  • jamielbeck
    Hi guys! I'm back...my flight to Maine was bumpy (we flew through a storm). It was awesome to see my sister graduate, my brothers keep calling her "Master" (she just got her masters degree) :laugh:
    Got to work about 1/2hr ago. Read a little bit and will have to catch up on the rest once my work day is over. Its amazing how everything piles up on my desk in 1 and 1/2 days!
  • jamielbeck
    Hey everyone! Still no word on my possible pregnancy, but I'll let you know when I know! I'm remaining positive, and trying to keep my mind occupied. So, hubby and I spent the weekend working in the yard, cleaning house, and riding bikes. It was so much fun!!

Trying to do all I need to do outside and upstairs before my surgery on Friday, so that's keeping me pretty busy! OH, i got the cutest thing ever in the mail the other day from my 8 year old niece. Apparently they're reading some books about "Flat Stanley"(this, I know nothing about), but anyway, she sent us a life sized cut out of herself, and we're to take her "Flat Emma" around with us and take pictures and send it back to her to take to school, LOL :laugh: I think it's hilarious, so Tony's taking her to the Opry with him this weekend, and we're taking her to some friends house with us tomorrow night to play Twister, LOL I'm going to talk Tom T into having his picture taken with it too, that will be funny!

Hope everyone has a great day...feels like a Monday, and I hate that, even when it IS Monday! :sad:

DWray - Do you know when you will find out about the possible pregnancy? So exciting!

The book Flat Stanley is really neat! I was a nanny for a family and the little boy had a project like that where he sent Flat Stanley to family and they would take a picture and send it back. At school then all of his classmates and him showed where flat stanley had been. We were going on vacation around that time and put Flat Stanley in a gallon storage bag and took him down a water slide :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • LosingIt4good
    LOLOL jaime, now that is cute! Bet none of the other flat stanleys got to ride a water slide!

Dwray- Im waiting on pins & needles here to hear the verdict of the test. :happy:

Cyndee- I'll trade you my cheap groceries for your free healthcare ANYDAY! :wink: Health insurance here runs a family of 5 like ours upward of around $600 a month, which is why we currently dont have insurance.

I weighed in this am, since aunt flo is flinally gone. Back down to 220.4, which is where I was before she showed up, so I changed my ticker back. Totally not surprised I didnt lose anything last week because I was just plain lazy and full of anti-motivation most of the week. Only got in about 1/2 the exercise I normally do.

Today, Im feeling back to my old self. Just ate a HUGE 1 1/2 cup bowl of oatmeal with some strawberry protien powder mixed in and am ready to hit the gym here in a few. I took the whole weekend off from the gym and focused on getting my menu planned for the week according to my workout schedule. The nutritionist I met gave me 3 different calorie intake senario's depending on what I do at the gym. I have 1 for a cardio only day, 1 for a cardio & weights day and 1 for a rest day. So, I went with my schedule for the week and got our meals planned out. You guys would be floored at how many calories they are telling me to eat. Its ridiculous! BUT, Ive been eating it for 4 days now and am good on my salt and other things AND Im back down to where I was. I'll just keep going and see what happens :)

Have a great day everybody!! Drink your water & get moving!
  • indianagranny
    indianagranny Posts: 863
    Hi Everyone,

LI4G - Good - Luck with the quitting. As everyone has said we are rooting for you. I smoked 4 years but when i laid them down I laid them down cold turkey. It wasn't easy either but I made it - kinda use the straw thing with it. The kitties are adorable.

Jamie - nice to hear you are back.I remember those bumpy flights through storms - always was amazed to fly above the storm.

Cyndeebee - baggy pants and the denim with the stretch in it is what Iam enjoying right now.

DWray44 - that "Flat Stanley" sounds like a really cute idea. I wonder if my grandkids will ever do anything like that. Good - Luck with the knee procedure. Let us know how it goes.

Lulu and everyone else too - you may officially take the wooden slipper to me.- not the padded but I deserve the wooden.one I have fallen off the band wagon and I am not happy with myself. Friday, Saturday, Sunday and even this morning, I have made some choices that I wanted but could have and should have turned away from. Each day was not terribly bad but I didn't have to do what I done each day. And til this morning, if I thought of exercise, I think I just kept thinking and did nothing til Sunday. Sunday was ok til I stopped on the way to work and got gasoline and just had to have the s'more brownie. I was actually about even til then. What I ate I had exercised for before that. Well before I even sat down here, I did about 85 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes strength training. So the damaged I did this morning if I eat healthy the rest of the day should be ok. I have logged by food for the rest of the day and tonight at work - So that will help also. I think I know what made me steer down the wrong path - my daughter is going through some rough times emotionally and having four little ones below the age of ten and being so far away from me is hard too. But she called this morning and let some things out while we were talking so that helped also. I am learning with this MFP. I so want to keep the weight off and lose more and I know I can get back on track from here also but on a few of these past few days, I thought I was slipping big time. I need to get back on the scale tomorrow - look at the damage and dig in again. Thanks Kristi for your posting and the brain and exercising - that did help - I just didn't apply this time. And not that I was avoiding posting on here, I should have posted that it was a down time and use the support you all so freely give when I need it. One more hurdle coming this weekend - family get together where my sister, brother, and sister - in - law will be attending. You talking big time family stress situation here but I won't get into it right now. Thanks for listening once again everyone - I love you all.
    If I don't post too much the rest of the week - don't think I went MIA - this is inventory week at work. Working 7pm to 7 am - and really rough plus I want to keep the exercising up too during this so it all depends on how much time.
  • cyndeebee
    indianagranny...I'm rooting for you! The first thing that impressed me, when I saw you on this site, was that you'd made it to the halfway point. That's an awesome feat. And I admire the way you think - We can all have bad days, but it takes strength and determination to get back on track...and that's what you appear to be doing.

Yes...LI4G...In this province (Ontario) our Health Care is "sort of" free. When you reach a certain income, you pay a percentage, but it comes out of your Income Tax refund (or you pay into it...depending...). I was surprised, though, when a company I worked for transferred me to Alberta - and it wasn't free. I feel very bad when I see how much it costs, in the States, to keep your family insured. It shouldn't be that way. And it seems that the ones who suffer the most are the middle-income families.

Later...
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    indiana - WHACK WHACK WHACK now get back on the damn wagon!

It's not about "not" having a brownie once in a while... from how I read this you didn't do so terrible (did you eat over 1000 cals over your limit??) and well, that's life. so you'll not lose as fast this week as you might have. You'll still do it, and you CAN do it, woman. Just keep it up, you've come so far!!

I was surprisingly not dying on Sat after that boot camp. Of course I was very careful not to hurt myself too. So I took Sat off from the gym (but ended up not needing to, thought I'd get really sore) and then did my upper body and cardio on Sunday, cardio and legs today. Then I went out and weeded a bit in the front yard before it gets too hot.

I went over on cals last night by a cup of low cal ice cream - I figure I can handle that, it was just so good and so hot outside! Today I worked out a lot so I shouldn't have any problems staying under. I'm craving watermelon, though, because it's hot like in August when we have good watermelon. I"m totally a fruit freak in the summer...

Since I did my workout and am finishing up my laundry and did the front weeds, I"m planning on sitting on the couch the rest of the day (supposed to get up to the 90s, and we don't have a/c). I got a movie "traveling pants 2" even though I didn't see 1 so I'm looking forward to that.

I have adjusted my intake like losingit to the nutritionist's suggestions, as far as # carbs, protein, etc. And I am fuller. The carbs went up and the protein. Hard to stay under fats right now, since it just dropped, but I'm working on it. I had a bagel with lunch meat (3 oz) and cheese and some low fat cream cheese - man i was full the rest of the day. But I didn't feel the carb overload I was afraid I would, so that was good.

Tomorrow is supposed to cool down and I can finish painting the dining room before the party on Sat. I got cheap curtains at Ross that look good, so I just need to finish the painting and then hang the decorations. Can't wait to have at least 1 room done!!!
  • DWray44
    DWray44 Posts: 76

DWray - Do you know when you will find out about the possible pregnancy? So exciting!

The book Flat Stanley is really neat! I was a nanny for a family and the little boy had a project like that where he sent Flat Stanley to family and they would take a picture and send it back. At school then all of his classmates and him showed where flat stanley had been. We were going on vacation around that time and put Flat Stanley in a gallon storage bag and took him down a water slide :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

My doctor says to wait another week, and if nothing by then, I can have an ultrasound to find out, so that's probably what I'll do. It's driving me crazy not knowing though, I almost can't deal!!!
  • LosingIt4good
    Indiana- I cant find my wooden slipper, but it appears adopt4 already gave you a good flogging (damn, I felt that from here!) so Im gonna just give ya some advice.

I had a no exercise weekend myself and I think the only reason why i didnt over do it on junkfood is because I literally didnt have anywhere to put it. I ate ice cream one night...it bumped me over a couple hundred cals...oh well.. LOL! If you want a brownie, eat one. Its not about depriving yourself and avoiding the stuff you like. All in moderation is the key. If you dont have enough calories for the whole thing, eat 1/2 if you can and save the other 1/2 for another treat later, otherwise (if your anything like me), eat the whole dang thing and get it over with, knowing thats the choice you made and move forward babe! :) Dont do it everyday.... but once in a while.. its totally fine.

Stressful family situations.... yuck! Food involved? as in family dinner or reunion? Have yourself a good snack before you go, then you wont be so tempted to eat a ton or be tempted to reach for things you arent sure of. Its worked for me with the inlaws. My MIL is german and cooks insanely good food, but it is definitley the typical high calorie stuff and I have pretty much resigned myself to either just eating everything, or having a snack before I go and then just sticking to a little bit of my favorites. Prayers are with ya....family stress is hard! Maybe you can rig up a punching bag to take out the aggression when you get home?? :huh:
  • indianagranny
    indianagranny Posts: 863
    Adopt4 - thanks I needed that - REALLY AND LITERALLY - I am not totally for sure cause I quit logging one day but no it wasn't 1000 calories over - it was just my choices and not exercising. And girl - I know you are busy when you don't log but I miss you - you are an inspiration.

LI4G - thanks for the help. You are always there and I appreciate the advice.I have to laugh cause I can't eat just 1/2 brownie when I get in these moods. That is something I need to get control of too. I am sure I got overwhelmed with situations and when cheese and chocolate were there I really got scared because I didn't go crazy crazy over them but with the added crackers - oops - I did overdo with them. My old ways flash back. The family situation won't be too bad - it is Dad's 82nd birthday - but because I couldn't get off work I am not staying long - so I won't be eating - it is just the fact of having to deal with my sister.

Cyndeebee - thank you. And thanks for noticing I had hit the half way mark. Your ways have help too. Made me realize again YES I CAN - there might be a few days where I step out and enjoy some things before the job gets done - but I WILL FINISH THIS JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL BE HEALTHY.

Thanks girls. I hope you have a good night. I have just enjoyed a good dinner of fish, mushrooms, pineapple and strawberries and chocolate milk. My exercise will be working all night plus a 10 minute walk before work.

To the rest of you - hi - enjoy your evening.

Miss you Sheila.

Kristi - are you ok?