Quitting Smoking...

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    I'm on day four of non smoking this year. I feel good. I haven't really had the munchies but do chew gum when I find I'm locking my jaw tight. I try deep breathing and have added the couch to 5k running program.

I don't know what to tell you but it's hard. It's super hard. You can't smoke at all or you have to quit all over again. That's how I feel. I haven't hung with my friends that smoke but my husband is also trying to quit and I know he's cheated. You can do it. Grab some gummy bears, gum, carrots, whatever is going to keep you away from the toxic chemical filled cancer sticks.

Look at the American Lung Association and they have virtual support groups and other resources.

Also be like that other gal and give yourself 2 two weeks to eat/munch whatever then get serious about what you're putting in your mouth.

I like to think of it as a plus to my life. Every smoke I don't smoke add minutes to my life, better breath, smell better, better for all around me, better example of health, etc. Look at the positives. Stupid cigs are lame and controlling and there's no room in my life for them :)
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    I was a smoker for 17 years and decided I wanted to quit. Someone suggested that I read "Easyways to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. At first I was very hesitant and didn't think a book could possibly help me quit smoking. I WAS ADDICTED, how could a book help???

My friend who suggested it swore to me that she knew 4 different people in her immediate circle that read it and quit. So...I bought it and read it. It is fairly short, doesn't make you feel bad about yourself, and it works!!!! He tells you to continue to smoke while you read the book. He doesn't want you to use willpower to quit, he wants to teach you a lesson and then you decide for yourself. It is all about the psychology of smoking. All smokers know that smoking is a mental addiciton. He helps you overcome the mental attachment.

My husband was a smoker too. He only smoked at night as he works in the health industry. If he was so physically addicted to smoking....how could he sleep all through the night, get up and go to work all day without craving a ciggy. He only craved one on his ride home as he knew he was soon able to light up.

We both read the book and quit. I have been quit for 2 years this week!!! The odd time I still feel like smoking....mostly when sharing a glass of wine with friends but I just tell myself that if I have one puff that I have ruined it all. I know one puff would lead to me smoking again.

So...I know this doesn't REALLY answer your question about avoiding weight gain while quitting but it kinda does cause once I read this book, I honestly just quit and didn't look to food or patches or gum to replace the addiction. I was over the addiction.

This book works....for real! Take it from an ex smoker who LOVED smoking. Here is a link to a webiste on the book. As you can see, many famous people endorse it.....including Ellen.

http://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/books.aspx

Good luck!!! Your body will thank you for it. :)

This book worked for me!! I read it and it all just made sense, Now I could never imagine having another cigerette. I did put on weight though- Which is why I am here now
  • PS I could never do the aerobic exercise I do unless I smoked electronic cigarettes. They do not crush your lungs like the analogs because they contain only nicotine and not the other ingredients. Think of electronic cigs as a sophisticated nicotine replacement system, much like the patch. You get the nicotine but none of the other bad stuff.

The tobacco industry is very much against electronics - naturally - so they sponsor these bogus studies to prove that electronics can cause cancer. From my studies, I feel this is trumped up bull and that electronics are far safer than analog.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    I was a smoker for 17 years and decided I wanted to quit. Someone suggested that I read "Easyways to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. At first I was very hesitant and didn't think a book could possibly help me quit smoking. I WAS ADDICTED, how could a book help???

My friend who suggested it swore to me that she knew 4 different people in her immediate circle that read it and quit. So...I bought it and read it. It is fairly short, doesn't make you feel bad about yourself, and it works!!!! He tells you to continue to smoke while you read the book. He doesn't want you to use willpower to quit, he wants to teach you a lesson and then you decide for yourself. It is all about the psychology of smoking. All smokers know that smoking is a mental addiciton. He helps you overcome the mental attachment.

My husband was a smoker too. He only smoked at night as he works in the health industry. If he was so physically addicted to smoking....how could he sleep all through the night, get up and go to work all day without craving a ciggy. He only craved one on his ride home as he knew he was soon able to light up.

We both read the book and quit. I have been quit for 2 years this week!!! The odd time I still feel like smoking....mostly when sharing a glass of wine with friends but I just tell myself that if I have one puff that I have ruined it all. I know one puff would lead to me smoking again.

So...I know this doesn't REALLY answer your question about avoiding weight gain while quitting but it kinda does cause once I read this book, I honestly just quit and didn't look to food or patches or gum to replace the addiction. I was over the addiction.

This book works....for real! Take it from an ex smoker who LOVED smoking. Here is a link to a webiste on the book. As you can see, many famous people endorse it.....including Ellen.

I used this book too and think it is brilliant! I'll be off the ciggies 9 years in March :smile:
  • With much respect, Alan Carr's Easy Way did absolutely NOTHING for me. But it's definitely helped many others.
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    I quit, cold turkey< on 1 March 2011 after smoking for nearly 26 years.
    My tips:
    Firstly get you head around not smoking - to quote Yoda "Do or do not, there is no try." I set a date weeks before I quit, then I told everyone that I'm quiting on that date. When March 1 came around I was totally prepared, mentally to quit.

I believe the addiction is purely psychological. I purposely didn't avoid the situations where I normally smoked. For weeks after quiting I still took regular "non-smoking breaks" with my smoker buddies. We would hang out on the patio and soak up the sun and chat for 10 minutes and then back to work. (getting rid of my craving for fritos was a lot harder than quiting smoking)
    For me tapering down would never have worked.

Now after 10 months I only crave when my staff drive me crazy and I want to commit murder.

To all of you "quiters" out there, if you can "diet" you can quit smoking. The process is the same.

Good luck

PS: Feel free to add me if you need your butt kicked for not quiting
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member

[/quote]
    Thanks for this web site and info on the book,
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member

I'm pretty much the same as this, but I did gain a few pounds (maybe up to 7lb). It really does work. the bit about not substituting food for *kitten* is important - just remember food won't sate your nicotine craving.
  • First time I quit I used the Alan Carr method, which worked, but I did start smoking again. Have also tried the usual patches/gum/will power. I've been smoke free for a year, but the only thing that has really worked for me has been using electronic cigarettes.

Like 8dozendiets, I've been gradually reducing the nicotine content in the eliquid (electronic cigarette 'refills') I make, and have reduced myself from 24mg down to 12mg so far. Electronic cigarettes have all the 'advantages' of traditional ones, taste, satisfaction, thoat hit, nicotine, but none of the nasty chemicals.

I would advise you try Alan Carr or cold turkey first of all, and if you don't manage with that, try electronic cigarettes. There's a great community of users that can help you with them at http://www.ukvapers.com
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    I just tried to do day 1 of the 30 minute shred and got 5 minutes in before my lungs collapsed :grumble: Think this will be my motivation to give up smoking (again!) I think pushing myself to finish a 20 minute workout will be all the motivation I need, sick of being unhealthy :sad: :laugh:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    First time I quit I used the Alan Carr method, which worked, but I did start smoking again. Have also tried the usual patches/gum/will power. I've been smoke free for a year, but the only thing that has really worked for me has been using electronic cigarettes.

Like 8dozendiets, I've been gradually reducing the nicotine content in the eliquid (electronic cigarette 'refills') I make, and have reduced myself from 24mg down to 12mg so far. Electronic cigarettes have all the 'advantages' of traditional ones, taste, satisfaction, thoat hit, nicotine, but none of the nasty chemicals.

I would advise you try Alan Carr or cold turkey first of all, and if you don't manage with that, try electronic cigarettes. There's a great community of users that can help you with them at http://www.ukvapers.com

I did nicotine gum for about 10 years in the mistaken belief that it would stop me smoking. It just keeps you addicted to nicotine which makes it easy to go back.. Definitely try the Carr first - i can't believe I wasted so much time (and money) before reading the book.
  • smyoung
    smyoung Posts: 1 Member
    I was a smoker for 16 years and quit 5 months ago. I thought that I would never be able to do it, because it was so hard. I tried numerous times to quit and I will tell you what worked for me. The times that I failed, I was using nicotine patches to take the edge off. It is a good way to go to ween yourself off the nicotine. However, those times when I would "forget" or think that they weren't working (mind tricks), I would smoke. It was a good excuse for me to continue to smoke because honestly, I was not ready. I was getting pressure from my husband and kids. I just was not ready.
    I started to notice the negative effects of smoking more and more.
    -the smell
    -the way others would smell after a cigarette
    -coughing non stop
    -feeling like I was not getting enough oxygen when exercising
    the list goes on and on
    Finally, I decided to stop. I kept telling myself "NO, I am done. I don't need smoking, I will survive this and live better and longer." I did not use patches because I knew that if I became dependent on them again, I would fail. So I quit cold turkey. I still struggle but the positive outweighs the negative so I don't want to go back and start all over again. Plus, I think..." I have gone this far, why blow it?" Now, I can go outside with friends, every once in a while, who still smoke to get my "fix" and do not have the urge to have one myself.
    As far as snacking goes, the first couple of weeks I used sunflower seeds to keep my hands and mouth busy. I stopped using that because of the calories. So I switched to snacking on carrots. I know...carrots? But they worked. Celery with peanut butter is also good.
    I work out almost every day now and I tell a BIG difference in my breathing. I am able to get the oxygen I need to work out longer.
    I wish all of you who are trying to quit the best of luck!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Im quitting as well as of the new year. I have been using black tea with splenda and gum seems ok so far.
    My fear is when I eventually have a drink ( this coming sunday)
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    I quit almost 10 years ago. I found a site similar to this one -- quitnet -- and just immersed myself in it.

I am really looking forward to my 10 year anniversary this spring!

I intend MFP to be just as effective for me on my weight loss journey.

Good luck with your quits everyone. Do whatever works. In the long run who cares if you quit cold turkey or "cheated" in some way ... no one that's who! Do whatever works for you and breathe easy.
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    I have been smoke free for 1 year and 22 weeks - it did affect my waist line - probably the main reason (along with a desk job) that I ended up on MFP however I feel better than I ever have in my life.

One day I read - parents who smoke are more likely to have children who smoke - I have two kids.... that was it for me.

I spoke to my doctor - he recommended using the Gum (eat when craving) - it was hard but It feels incredible! I took ownership of my life and of my addiction.

I used / still use - a free App on my Iphone (sinceIquit) - it calculates how long you have been smoke free (right to the second), it also tells you the money you have saved, along with how many cigarettes you have not had - I am over 10,000 smokes now.
    You enter in your info - how many cigarettes you smoked in a day, how much a pack costs etc & the app did the rest - I would show people to create more motivation by praise and use it to remind myself how well I am doing. This has equaled more than $4500 in 1 year and 10,000 smokes -- ify ou think about the life you add to yourself as well, its a huge motivation.

There is also a great book - by Alan Carr - it states that nicotine and cigarettes is more addictive then herroine. the fact that it is compared to such a hard drug says so much to me.

I started in highschool - I was 15 - I quite when I was 36 - now if I have saved $4500 in a year and a half - think about how much money I spend in 21 years to have the habbit in the first place...... and if you think about another 21 years - how much life gained and how much saved over the next 21 years -- why would you not want to move forward with this plan?

It is not easy - it will always be hard - some days I still think about it but I always kept my eye on the prize and my children.... I am praying that my son (now 3 1/2) will never remember the day that his mum or dad smoked.
  • Started Chantix today. I hope it works....again. I need to quit for health reasons and for the health of my kids. Kinda scared to quit at the same time as dieting but I've got this!! I think :-)
  • Try the electronic cigarette. I started on it about a week ago and have only smoked 4 "real" cigs since. I don't even crave them now. The benefits are:
    * You're only taking in the nicotine, not the 4000 other harmful chemcials in tobacco cigs
    * They're cheaper than tobacco cigs (works out to about $2 / pack)
    * You're still "smoking" but not really smoking, so you get to satisfy the psychological addiction
    * You can "smoke" (vapor) in places where smoking isn't allowed because there's no second-hand smoke (Haven't tried that and don't think I would)
    * You can lower the nicotine levels as you go and eventually get down to 0.

If you decide to try them, go to a specialized store that sells them, not a conveinence store. The brands they have suck. I have the V2 brand and really like it. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions.
  • Wow! Thank you all so much for all your kind words, bumps and tips for avoiding the munchies. I have made it through the day without giving in, and I have even kept within my calorie limits. I really feel like I've achieved something - I know it's just the first of many days, but reading all your posts has really boosted me. I don't feel so alone now, so c'mon all you new quitters, let's do it together! If anyone wants to add me for support, please do. I don't have all the answers, but sometimes it's helpful just to have a shoulder to rant on! I am using patches and gum, which has helped me just to get over that short period of time when all I can think of is having a ciggie. I'm a creature of habit (first thing in the morning, after meals and as I get into the car), so those will probably be the hardest to kick, but I made it through the day. Tomorrow, bring it on - I'm ready for ya! Well done to everyone, hang in there and stay strong :flowerforyou: Thank you again x x

14243005.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • BunniTrulove
    BunniTrulove Posts: 18 Member
    I quit about a month ago, I know it might sound a little crazy, but drink A LOT of water helped me. It kept my mouth busy and instead of taking smoking breaks, I took a lot of restroom breaks.
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    I agree - water helps - also chewing gum helped me.