40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Hi! I would like to join. I an new to myfitnesspal. I am in a hurry but will come back and post my info.

PS: I Love the name. I always make the Cool Kids reference. :smile:
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Hi Everyone,

Just stumbled upon this group!!! Yay!!!

I'm Lynn - 47 years old... single mom of a 20 (almost 21) year old, 19 year old and 14 years old. I've been divorced for 6 years and kinda let myself go when I had my kids... my ughhh moment was looking at pictures from my birthday from 2009... I wanted to start dating and I looked at myself and thought - who the f would want to date me???? But I didn't do anything to change my lifestyle or eating habits. 2009 was my heaviest weight... In 2010, I decided, I had more time for me (my 2 oldest kids are now away at college) ... so joined MFP in October 2010 but didn't log or participate... then in March of 2011 started walking, then walking really fast and now running 3-4 miles a day... I've lost 60 pounds - okay 57 lbs... damn Christmas cookies!

My goal for this year is to lose 20-25 more pounds - I'm 5'4" and would like to get down to 135-140. I'm big boned... and tighten up my arms and back!

Looking forward to participating in this group!!!! I need the motivation to get to my goal weight!

L
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Ohhh to be cool again!
    My name is Mary, I'm from Alabama! Roll Tide! I am a runner now! I'd like to do more strength training, even though I don't belong to a gym, and have no plans to join one. I've lost 13 lbs over the past year, and I've also lost over 30 inches total. I need the strenth training because these muscles are not remembering that they have muscle memory! LOL I really look forward to this group, thanks for starting it.
  • lonestarmomof3
    lonestarmomof3 Posts: 1 Member
    My name is Laura, I just joined MFP and am looking for support. I'm 5'4 and weigh 164....this is my highest weight to date. Would
    really like lose 20 pounds. I've never been able to lose that much. It seems like my body struggles to lose weight. I'm pretty active
    with Tennis and walking. I think food lilkes to stick to me =( I'm very curvy. I'm hoping this will help me stay on track. Looking
    forward to this journey.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I love reading everyone's intros and goals!!! :drinker: Consistency is the KEY!!!!!! Focus on your goal and that prize at the end!!!!!! As Tony Horton says,"Do your best and forget the rest!!!! Bring it!!!!!"

James, one thing that I got right away when I read your post is that you might not be eating enough. It is very important to eat your exercise calories so your body doesnt go into starvation mode. Also, you might want to vary your workouts if you have been doing the same for a while. Strength training is great to help you lose weight and become leaner and stronger. Also drink lots of water!!!!

momtoz, your deltoids look pretty good in that picture!!!

Lonestarmom, stay positive and truly believe that you can lose 20 pounds and more!!! And watch it happening. Focus on your goals!!! Are you doing some kind of strength trng?

MaryB, you can start doing exercises at home using your body weight such as pushups, squats, lunges, etc Then slowly increase the weight by using things you might have around the house or start purchasing equipment such as dumbbells, stationary ball, etc.

Have a great day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Hello All! I see there are some of the oldies still on this board. Hi Tron and Alf. I'm finally back to feeling well enough to tackle the weight I gained following chemo. It really does a number on your body for sure.

Just a quick hello - I'll be back soon to post my goals for 2012.

I can't wait to meet the group of "Cool Kids" - now they've left the cool table and head out to exercise :laugh:
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    105 pushups today: 22+21+20+22+20, spread throughout the day. Also did my pull/chin up routines. Planned rest day on cardio today since my race is on Saturday. Will do a brisk walk during lunch tomorrow, but no other cardio till race day.

I post these tips from time to time that i followed while losing my 40lbs in 8 months. Still follow them (mostly, lol) while maintaining too :)

· NO SODA, not even diet
    · No alcohol, not even lite (I know, that is hard for many, but at the very least cut it back to one or two drinks a week)
    · Drink TONS of water
    · No refined sugars (don’t worry about sugars in fruit, honey (in moderation), and vegetables)
    · No refined flour (eat pasta and breads that are whole grain and whole wheat instead)
    · Exercise at least 3 days a week, ideally 6 days a week. Even if at the start it is just a short walk, you will gradually increase the intensity until you are going at it full bore. Set times and dates for the workouts, then DO THEM.
    · Set realistic goals. Short term and long term.
    · If you eat meat, then eat lean meat. Lean turkey, extra lean beef, fish, etc
    · Watch the sodium intake. Read the nutrition label before you buy/eat it.
    · Watch the saturated fats
    · Go public with what you are doing. Tell your friends, your enemies, and the person next to you at the checkout in the grocery store. Public accountability is a big motivator.
    · Take pics and measurements of where you are at right now. Pics should be of you in your underwear and from every conceivable angle. Also take some pics of you wearing pants and shirt that you like that are just too tight for you right now.
    · Make sure you are eating the right amount of calories. Too little is just as bad as too much.

*duffyzmom: grats on the medal!

*lonestarmom: You can do it! Just be honest with your self when tracking your food and exercise on this site and it will happen.

*MaryBBrown: Good plan on the strength training! There are all sorts of body weight exercises you can do to start off, with or without DVDs. And of course, you can get dumbbells or a full weight set later if desired.

*momtozmc: great job on the weight loss so far and on the running!

*james_scholte: how many pounds a week is your MFP goal set for? 1270 cals seems low for a guy. Especially if you are doing strength training. Need to fuel those muscles. Grats on losing the 35lbs!

*iamtippicanoe: Fancy seeing you here :D

*AttyMomOf3: Slow and steady wins the race!

*sreeves1429: What does your doctor say should be your calorie goal? 500-800 cals is very very low. May seem counter-intuitive, but eating too little can also cause you to not lose weight.

Time for dinner! Will post more later...
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Welcome everyone!!!
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Hi! I'm a 45 year old mom of six. I've been with MFP for just over a year and have lost 30 #. But what is even better is how exercise & healthy eating make me feel. I'm no longer tired all the time z

I look forward to meeting& getting to know you all!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Hello I'd like to join the group!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Hi!
    I would love to join ;)
    I am a 43 year old mom of 2 daughters in college.
    I have been here on MFP for almost a year & have lost 32 lbs so far ;)
    Before the 1st of the year I loved to spin! Also walking, trying to get into running & strength training.
    Looking forward to getting to know all of you and supporting/encouraging one another...have a great night!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    double post

Will post my "new" year goals later....
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Hi, I'm 45 (dang, when did that happen - ok I know it happened on my last birthday)? I struggle with gaining/losing 10lbs and really want to work on losing it for good.
  • AScarbrough19
    AScarbrough19 Posts: 125 Member
    I am 43 and have been struggling to lose the last 15 lbs for over a year. My highest weight was 235 and current weight is 153. My goal is 135. Exersize is not the issue it is all about food choices for me. Looking for some additional support and motivation!
  • AScarbrough19
    I am 43 and have been struggling to lose the last 15 lbs for over a year. My highest weight was 235 and current weight is 153. My goal is 135. Exersize is not the issue it is all about food choices for me. Looking for some additional support and motivation!
  • AScarbrough19
  • AScarbrough19
  • AScarbrough19
  • AScarbrough19
    ooops
  • sreeves1429
    sreeves1429 Posts: 23 Member
    hewhoiscd: I spoke with my doctor just today and he said for continued weight loss at a safe pace, I should consume approx. 1200 calories daily. I took my eating from one extreme to another and right now, I am struggling to find a happy medium.