2012 52 5/7 Challenge

I didn't see that Verda started a new thread for 2012, so I figured I'd go ahead and start the thread, To others stumbling across this thread this is basically a continuation/modification of a year-long fitness challenge from 2011 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330927-my-2011-52-7-7-challenge The goal is to get 5 workouts in per week and allow 2 rest days--I think that was Verda's plan as well, rather than aiming for 7 days of workouts like last year.

So as for me, I took January 1st off, but am 1/7 today with 45 minutes on the elliptical.

Replies

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Thank you Heather for getting the ball a rolling!!! We have been sooooo busy since we have gotten back from visiting in-laws. I got my kitchen prepped and we are redoing my counters! Ohhhh what work!!!
    my 1/7 was 6 miles on the bike last night and I "may" try to get in something later. I do not want to start procrastinating on workouts when I have the time, I want to use my free days for days I am sick or out of town or company shows up etc;;
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I am 1/7 today also with 25 min on treadmill aiming for 25 more in about an hour. I will try to use the other 2 days of something whether it be yoga or weights to buff up some.

Happy New Year!!
  • ivykivy
    2/7 today with 25 min on treadmill. Yesterday I did fifty total plus 1 mile with leslie. Will do more later today.

I lost 3.8 pounds so the Holiday water is gone. I guess that means I only have 32 pounds to lose to hit onderland again.
  • vhuber
    Way to go Ivy!! I wish you success on the weight loss! remember it is 80/20 or is it 90/10? 80 percent is from what you eat and the rest is fitness! You can do it! Are you logging food? That really helps to make us aware!!

My 2/7 was 4 miles on the bike and my 3/7 was 10 miles on the bike!!!
    I was back to feeding the chillins today and I must say I was ok with going back after having 2 weeks off!:wink:
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Hello!!!!! Found you!!
    1/7... day off for me too
    2/7 .... good hard day of exercise with a run in the snow and then I came home and danced up a storm with the wii... that is pretty fun and I burn about 250 calories every 30 mins
    3/7... came home after the funeral ( my FIL, lost his brother) and hubby got me out for a walk. He was being all drill sergant on me and I had a migraine and really wasn't in the mood for him... but I know he was just trying to help me...so I listened. It was a forced walk...but it was for an hour.

I am off to the store today and I think I will push exercise to this evening... will let you know!
  • makeitallsue
    Ivy, I think we weigh around the same amount. The closet I ever got to onederland was when I got down to 204, in June of 2010.. I have spent since then...losing and gaining the same 20 pounds! Then this past 4 months I gained an extra 15 pounds and my scale looked at me with the number 232.... to me heartbreaking, hoping some of it is from water too... will weigh in Saturday morning and see where I am.
    I will keep fighting, trying to log everything.... Heather I hear ya on the kisses.... I did that last Saturday :blushing: I usually am not a big "sugar" girl, it is carbs for me that I have to watch... but sugar got me too... double whammy this holiday season... no wonder I gained so much.......
  • wanna_be_fit
    wanna_be_fit Posts: 1,523 Member
    Happy Wednesday, ladies!!! Unfortunately I'm still sitting at 1/7 for the week. :grumble: I did my best to get to bed relatively early last night so I could get up early to workout this morning, but it was a no-go. I woke up to our smoke alarm saying "low battery, please change" (yes she talks to us, very weird!) three times in a row, and my husband had to get up and take care of it. The thing that really pisses me off is that I had told my husband to change the battery earlier in the evening, but of course he didn't. So I was awake from 2:30 am when the darn detector went off until around 5:15 am when I finally fell back asleep. I had decided that if I looked at the clock again and it was 5:30 I would just go ahead and get up and workout, but I fell back asleep because the next thing I knew my alarm was going off at 6:30 and it was time to get up for work. So I'm a little sleepy today! I'll do my best to get to bed early again tonight, and see if we can get the workout in tomorrow!!!
  • vhuber
    I.m with ya on the no sleep Heather, Last night at around 9:30 my oldest son and my nephew decide they would go check their ice fishing tip-ups and were in an area with no cell service, we had no idea where they placed their tip-ups so we could not go look for them and never got home untill almost 3 a.m. I was sooooo pissed because they had checked their stuff but then ventured to the bar!!!:mad: :explode: I was planning a funeral until they showed up at 2:30 .. I said to my son "Thanks for giving us a sleepless night and letting us think you could be drowning in the lake but OH you were only drowning in your beers" !
    I have got to be out the door for work no later than 6:30 a.m. so that gave my 21/2 hours of sleep.:yawn: But work actually went VERY well, I was really busy and did not have time to get tired and when I got home it was 56* so I took the furries for a 4 1/2 mile walk. ( 4/7) It is now almost 6 p.m. and I have my pj's on so when it hits 7 :30 I am going to bed!!!
  • makeitallsue
    Awe Heather.,. hate that when I can't get back to sleep!
    I got my groceries done, came home put everything away and then before dinner got my 4/7 in..... did 40 minutes on the elliptical!
    I guess I might of wrote that wrong earlier... I didn't work out Sun...so I am actually 3/7... for the week :)
    Still have a teeny dull mirgraine... but the house is quiet tonight so I am good to relax!
    haha... Verda I was just getting ready to post my post and I seen u posted too... weird, I didn't think you could see them until after you post....

sorry to hear you had a sleepless night too....darn boys!!
  • ivykivy
    I did one mile with leslie already. I need to go do another but I am lazy. Hopefully I'll get the energy to do it b4 midnite strikes. I wake up in the middle of the nite also. I usually read. I know it's stress and worry. I wish we had a coast button we can use during certain parts of our lives or a zap button. Yes, there are some people I'd like to zap. LOL!

Good nite.

3/7 3 miles with leslie total. I'm going to do it.
  • makeitallsue
    Oh Ivy... A Zap button! I would be using that thing a lot.... especiallly since I have been dealing with the pre-menapause stuff..some days I am just plain mean... my poor husband would be getting zapped daily!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • wanna_be_fit
    Oh, you ladies make me laugh!!! I should be thankful that my sleepless nights are not overly stress filled just irritating--Verda I would want to strangle those boys if I were you!!

I'm happy to report that last night I slept wonderfully, but I slept so hard that I didn't wake up at 5:30 to workout. We have a houseguest this week so night time workouts are definitely out, but I'll get back at it this weekend if I'm too exhausted to get up tomorrow morning. I'd forgotten that the third trimester brought a bit of an energy drain, but I'm definitely feeling more sluggish. Hopefully getting back into the workouts will give me a bit of an energy boost.

Hope you girls have a great day. Only one more day until the weekend!!! :)
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Would you ladies be willing to add 1 more? I stumbled across the thread this AM and this sounds perfect. I would love a small group to help motivate me, some of these other groups are too gosh darn big.
  • wanna_be_fit
    Would you ladies be willing to add 1 more? I stumbled across the thread this AM and this sounds perfect. I would love a small group to help motivate me, some of these other groups are too gosh darn big.

I would welcome the addition, and I'm sure the other ladies won't mind either! The goal of this thread is to motivate each other to get in 5 days of exercise each week. The week starts on Sunday, so if you get a workout in on Sunday your 1/7, then on Monday you'd be 2/7 after your workout, etc, etc. You can post everyday, every couple days--whatever works!! For the record I am failing miserably this week!!

We should probably all do a brief intro so you know a bit about us, and you can do the same. :)

My name is Heather, I'm 35 years old and I am currently 27 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, due April 4th! Trying to keep the fitness side of things up and still tracking my food, but goals are set to gain 1 pound per week. I'm a physician and I work about 60 hours per week and my hubby stays home with our daughter. The only time I can get workouts in M-F is 5:30 am and my recent insomnia has been killing that effort! That's the big stuff about me. So welcome to the group!!
  • makeitallsue
    Welcome "one hectic mom"... I feel your pain!! :wink:
    My name is Debra
    I am 45, I am a SAHM.. and have been home now with the kids for over 20 years... Yikes :noway: I have been heavy most of my life. I contracted spinal menagitis when I was just a year old and almost died... my gramps told me that they fed me sugar water at that time and ever since ... I added weight and my nickname was chubby growing up :angry: Well I have went on lots of diets over the years and been successful many times, but always put the weight back on.... at age 40... I thought this is it... I am doing it... I lost 40 pounds quickly and was happy with the way things were moving... but the weight just stop coming off and I honestly have about 40 more pounds to loose. My age has slowed the process down and I have found myself gaining and losing the same 20 pounds for the last 3 years... but I am not giving up... back on this and I hope by the end of ths year... to finally be at goal.
    Jump right in :bigsmile:
    Today I did a run, for 30 minutes and I also did some wii dancing... let me tell you... trying for 4 stars will work up a sweat and it's fun! I burned over 800 calories today!! Yeah Me!! so that makes me 4/7 for the week!!

Heather... I had no idea that you worked so many hours... go you!! How in the heck do you find the time>???? I am going to try hard not to whine about fitting the exercise in... if you can make time, carrying a baby and your work load... I can fit it in too!!
    My migraine has subsided today thank goodness!
  • ivykivy
    Hi one hectic mom. I'm Ivy. I am 38 married w/no children. I test driver cars for money and in a former life I was a teacher of science.

4/7 22 min on treadmill.
  • vhuber
    Welcome aboard onehecticmom!
    My name is Verda and I am the "gramma" of this group, beings I am 52 years old. I am married and have been for 32 years, we live on a large farm in Montana, we have two sons (ages 27 & 30) and one grandson who is 5. I am head cook in a school cafeteria where I cook for 150 each day. We stay busy being on a farm but I MAKE time for fitness everyday. I wish the schools stressed more on fitness than music or computer class. I try to provide home cooked and less packaged foods each day at school but the over weight children there is quite sad. They have NO idea that moving will give you a happier, healthier and longer life!! Today I made chicken fajita wraps using whole wheat wraps and they ate the filling and threw away the wraps.:huh: Just to healthy for some!:wink: Once again welcome aboard!!

My 2 mile walk with my furry kid's today puts me at 5/5...
  • vhuber
    Hi one hectic mom. I'm Ivy. I am 38 married w/no children. I test driver cars for money and in a former life I was a teacher of science.

4/7 22 min on treadmill.

I did not know you use to teach science!! I would have failed your class!!!!
  • onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Morning ladies. Thanks for the welcome.

My name is Jennifer. I have been married for 15 years. I have 3 kids DD13, DD8 & DS3. I run an in-home daycare; this will be my 4th year. We live in Iowa :sad: I am originally from TX and am a southern gal at heart. It is way to cold here for me.
    Both my hubby & I were in the army. We were both super active & healthy. Once we got out we started to gain weight. I managed to keep my gain small, or so I thought until one day I was 50 pounds overweight. I have tried a few diets that have worked for several years, but my eating habbits are not great. I would be just fine if I worked out, but I have a hard time fitting it in.
    To make matters worse, I have kidney disease. My kidneys have cysts growing all throughout them making them quite large. I look & feel pregnant again. I am bloated & have frequent heartburn. I have lost 25 pounds so far. I felt & looked so much better, until we went on vacation & I fell off the wagon that is. I put 5 back on... not too bad.
    I am back once again. I have another vacation in 3 weeks. My goal is to be a few pounds lighter if possible, but more than anything I want to come back the same weight as I left. I still have another 25 pounds to go... well, 30 to make up for my 5 pound gain. I hope to do it by the end of the year.
    So far this week I have only done 1 day of workouts. I did 5 minutes of running up & down the stairs with 5 minutes of sit ups/ push ups. So, how would I log that? Would it be 1/7? I have a hard time fitting in a workout. I don't have a gym membership, and I keep kids from 6am until 8:30pm. I also watch kids on saturday. It makes it hard to find time for me after I tend to everyone else. I use to work out in the morning, but find myself a walking zombie by 10AM. This is just the motivation I need. If you all can do it so can I.
  • ivykivy
    Verda it's been years since I taught so I probably would fail it too. SAD:laugh: !!

5/7 23 min on treadmill will do more later.

4/7 22 min on treadmill.

I did not know you use to teach science!! I would have failed your class!!!!