WHY keep your food diary hidden?

I'm just curious.....I understand if you want your page to be private. However, why keep your food diary private???? Do you do this....if so what's your reasoning? I personally think by making it viewable to friends that it hold you accountable. ;)

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    I think some people don't like the idea of disclosing something so personal; it's a way to avoid judgement (which of course wouldn't happen here, but it's a valid concern). Some people probably don't know how to make their diary public.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I've earned the right to do whatever I please.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Whoops, didn't realize I had mine set to private, :-) it is now open to public scrutiny!
  • espence30
    espence30 Posts: 116 Member
    I agree.. i think its because they don't want to be held accountable...or to me are they being completely honest?
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    mines open to friends but not to the rest of mfp, guess I'm choosey on who I want looking at my diary lol
  • Because, quite frankly, it's none of your damn business what people are eating. *shrug*

*Mine is open to friend, btw... but not to just anyone. But it took me a while to get to that.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I don't need to be held accountable.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    :smile:
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Ever since I went maintenance, I don't log like I did when I was actively losing and use the site more for other reasons. When I gain any I will log and get back down and then back to maintenance. By keeping it private it keeps the chatter down.
  • Tink_89
    Tink_89 Posts: 23
    I think I've been scared of people judging me. Like, even if I am within the right limits of calories ~ will they judge me for not eating the right sort of food etc.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    I have mine open to friends only. I have no desire for someone to push their ideas of what a diet means on me. I have seen too many others criticized (without asking for opinions mind you) for their choices. If I ask for help, then I will open it up and expect criticism. But unwanted, unsolicited advice pisses me off, so I keep it locked except to those I have grown to know and trust. My two cents.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Whoops, didn't realize I had mine set to private, :-) it is now open to public scrutiny!

Then I shall scrutinise it with an inscrutable scrute :bigsmile:
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    I started tracking calories before MFP because I needed to get on top of it but I work really long, boring days and pick at food for something to do then have to find some more calorie burning activities to balance it out - not really the way I should be working it so I think most people would find my food diary puzzling!

I've also turned off a lot of the notifications posting to the feed as I'm constantly adding exercises throughout the day and that could be annoying to my friends.
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Mine's public. I honestly don't care who sees it. I have my good days and my bad ones, but it's out there!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    I've earned the right to do whatever I please.

I don't think the person who asked this disputes your right to do as you please. She is only wondering why keeping a diary private pleases some people.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Mine is open to my friends list, but not all of MFP.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    What I put in my body is my business. I am MORE honest with myself than with anyone else, so having a private diary works for me. If I am ever struggling and need advice, I will open it to my friends, but that isn't the case.
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    I actually just set mine so it was open to everyone, I didn't realize it wasn't until I was looking at my settings the other day and found it was only available to my friends! I do think some people are self concious about it and find it personal, I know it took me a while to get that the people on here looking at my diary aren't here to judge me like I judged myself, or criticize what I have eatten but (typically) are here to be encouraging and help me keep on track and give me helpful words when i do fall off a little.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    For the first time ever, I closed my food diary yesterday. And the reason is that I'm taking a break from logging for now. I've been eating in surplus, and I'm sure I can continue this and get all my calories, protein, fat, without meticulously counting everything. In a couple of months when I go into calorie deficit again, I'll start logging again and open up my diary.
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    I log everything i eat and feel ok ( most of the time ) with what i eat but if i had to share it - i'm afraid i wouldn't log EVERYTHING! I'm just not comfortable sharing that info xx