Juice Fasts & Detox Diets

SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
This article was taken from Yahoo Health

Fasting? Forget It
Posted Tue, Mar 18, 2008, 3:30 am PDT

We're hearing more and more about the ways stars slim down to fit into those gorgeous gowns we've all seen during the recent awards season.

One diet trend that's hot in Hollywood is using juice fasts and detox diets like the Master Cleanse and Blueprint Cleanse to lose weight quickly.

But when it comes to dropping permanent pounds healthfully, fasts aren't the way to go. Trust me, it's better to lose a pound or two a week, and keep it off. It's healthier and more doable. By summer you'll be slimmer while your pal who did the fast will just be frustrated, saying things like "Diets don't work!" And she's right, lifestyle changes do!.

"Rather than trim you down, juice fasts may actually cause you to overeat," says SELF's eat-right expert (and fellow Yahoo blogger) Joy Bauer. Juice is high in sugar and creates peaks and dips in your blood sugar levels, leaving you ravenous. No doubt, once you're done you'll dive headlong into the cheesecake that's sitting in your fridge. Fasting can also be harmful, causing headaches, anemia and other health woes.

As for the idea that these fasts "detox" you: Your body has its own cleansing system, consisting of the liver, kidneys, intestines and even skin, which all work together to filter and eliminate waste. I think the best way to feel healthier faster is to exercise.

Working out, sweating hard and getting your heart pounding at the gym boosts blood flow all over your body, which helps your own natural detox system do its job. You're also going to burn calories and lose fat-all of which helps your body function at its best. Plus you'll feel so good.

For an easy eat-right and exercise plan that will help you lose up to 8 pounds this month, check out the 2008 SELF Challenge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Replies

• SoupNazi
    This article was taken from Yahoo Health

Fasting? Forget It
    Posted Tue, Mar 18, 2008, 3:30 am PDT

We're hearing more and more about the ways stars slim down to fit into those gorgeous gowns we've all seen during the recent awards season.

One diet trend that's hot in Hollywood is using juice fasts and detox diets like the Master Cleanse and Blueprint Cleanse to lose weight quickly.

But when it comes to dropping permanent pounds healthfully, fasts aren't the way to go. Trust me, it's better to lose a pound or two a week, and keep it off. It's healthier and more doable. By summer you'll be slimmer while your pal who did the fast will just be frustrated, saying things like "Diets don't work!" And she's right, lifestyle changes do!.

"Rather than trim you down, juice fasts may actually cause you to overeat," says SELF's eat-right expert (and fellow Yahoo blogger) Joy Bauer. Juice is high in sugar and creates peaks and dips in your blood sugar levels, leaving you ravenous. No doubt, once you're done you'll dive headlong into the cheesecake that's sitting in your fridge. Fasting can also be harmful, causing headaches, anemia and other health woes.

As for the idea that these fasts "detox" you: Your body has its own cleansing system, consisting of the liver, kidneys, intestines and even skin, which all work together to filter and eliminate waste. I think the best way to feel healthier faster is to exercise.

Working out, sweating hard and getting your heart pounding at the gym boosts blood flow all over your body, which helps your own natural detox system do its job. You're also going to burn calories and lose fat-all of which helps your body function at its best. Plus you'll feel so good.

For an easy eat-right and exercise plan that will help you lose up to 8 pounds this month, check out the 2008 SELF Challenge.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    interesting! thanks.:wink:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    It's funny that u posted this because I sort of feel like I'm on a juice fast today. I have a cold and little appetite, but I'm sucking back my weight it white grape juice.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I just want to say, my husband & I have been on a cleansing program - our last day is next Tuesday a total of 41 days. I couldn't be happier with the results.

I know some of these programs have had alot of bad press, and I'm sure there is alot of bad programs out there... but we did alot of research beforehand and it has gone really well.

We haven't been malnourished. Our cleanse/fast days were 2 days in a row at the beginning. We are substituting their shakes for breakfast (a meal we never usually ate) every day, and keeping up on our calorie count each day. We do still have a one day per week cleanse/fast day, which I will probably continue to do twice a month after our time is up.

All in all, it has jump started us into a new & better lifestyle.

With all the bad press out there, I just wanted to let everyone know that not all of the programs are that horrible.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Ironic that I posted just about the same exact message as this article, and I didn't even read it when I posted this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8486-cleanse-anyone
  • SoupNazi
    Ironic that I posted just about the same exact message as this article, and I didn't even read it when I posted this.

Great minds think alike banks!:bigsmile:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member

Great minds think alike banks!:bigsmile:

LOL, more like great googlers google alike. :tongue:
    All this info is out there, you just have to look for it.