40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Thanks for the link for this group. I would never had found you otherwise.

It looks like everyone here is introducing themselves so I guess I should remind everyone you I am.:happy:

My name is Becky. I am 60 years old. I have eight children and ten grandchildren.

My goal for the time being is to participate in at least three classes at the YMCA. I am thinking of adding another one. At this time I am putting in seven hours a week. I want to continue attending each of these. I know that if I were to miss even one of them, then I would say "so what" and never go back. Don't want that to happen again. At this present time I am quite sore. The spinning class seems to be about to do me in. I need encouragement to continue.

Annette....still no word from sing?
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Hi Everyone! Nice to be back after the Holidays. Trying to get back into the swing of things. First goal, getting rid of the Diet Coke and replacing it with water! Will try to lift wts tonight. Alf...what can you tell me about the new lifting thread? :flowerforyou:
  • williti
    williti Posts: 22 Member
    Hello Friends,
    I just turned 47 and am working on losing my last 20 pounds. I stopped working out in September and I'm missing the extra energy I used to have. Yesterday I rededicated myself to all things MFP so here I am.

I am married and have 3 kids ages 20, 16 and 14. I live in Ohio and I work as a health aide in an elementary school. I enjoy cardio boxing, walking outside when the sun shines, riding my bike and using the treadmill for activity.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Tina
  • leafygreensforme
    leafygreensforme Posts: 18 Member
    Would love to join...need all the support I can get...my BFF is my biggest support right now and she's great...would love even more encouragement...I know kind of selfish but I need to start putting myself first for a change...need somewhere to turn when reaching for that second helping big enough for an NFL linebacker...ok then, what do I do, how do I join? (still learning, slowly, how to navigate the site)
  • crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    leafygreens: You don't have to do anything.....Just log on and post questions, comments, support. Some people log in daily, others post once weekly on friday, just whatever works for you! :flowerforyou:
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Saving
  • KJLIII
    KJLIII Posts: 225 Member
    Hello 40+ Club!! I'm learning new things ALL the time!! This is my first "topic" posting, I guess!

I'm 40 +11, and I found MFP last November. I didn't know anyone on here, nor did I have any clue how cool this really is! But I'm really enjoying it, and LOVE the support and the community. I have had a tremendous cycle of yo-yo-ing on my weight for most of my adult life, and have tried to STOP! It's hard. I've tried out many "diets", as well as trying to fast my way to skinniness - nothing like that has worked out for very long. I have determined that I just need to watch my intake and increase my exercising, and it has to be a lifestyle change. I tried this site for about a week, then quit for Thanksgiving, then started again. In December, I took a 2 week trip with my husband - he drives a Big Rig (semi truck) for a living, and that set me back quite a bit! But I'm back home, able to exercise and eat better, and am losing again - YAY!!!

My highest weight (EVER!) was 208 - about 5 years ago, and I joined WW at that point. I lost 33 lbs, and thought "I can do this on my own!". I loved being thinner, but I hated paying $$$ for them to weigh me every week. I didn't feel that I was getting much out of the weekly meetings. WW helped me realize I COULD lose weight, so at least I had that confidence. So I did OK for awhile, but lots of turmoil in the family turned my focus away from the weight/eating/fitness arena. Eventually, I tipped the scales at 200 again, and started looking online for some help. That's how I found MFP, and I'm so glad! I've never been one to have (or be able to stick to) a set regimen, but this site makes it easy to fit it all together in my life.

I want to lose about 50 lbs, and as soon as possible! But on the other hand, it seems to me that when people lose weight too quickly, they have problems with excess skin - and I certainly don't want that!! So I'm glad MFP limits a person to about 2 lbs per week. It's something I can live with, and seems do-able. I'd also like to get toned and fit!! I'm excited for this journey, and am thrilled to find like-minded people here!

Thanks for posting this topic!! Hope to get to know some of you on here!!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Only 64 pushups today. Was quite busy at work and forgot to do a couple sets. Just as well I suppose, I'll call it a recovery day :D And of course, tomorrow, I'm doing nothing, to try and reserve the energy for Saturday morning's race.

And welcome again to the new posters!

*KJLIII: Sounds like you have a good plan! Losing a little bit each week is the key to long term success IMO. I lost 40lbs in 8 months, which seems like a lot to some in a short period of time, but it's only a little over a pound per week. And when you reach your goal, it is much easier to maintain since you just keep on doing what you are already doing, just eating a little bit more.

*Swissmiss: good work on the Y programs!

*sreeves1429: Good timing on the Doc visit :happy:
  • chx4more
    chx4more Posts: 39 Member
    I'd like to join. I am a 42 yr old mother of 4 and wife. Busy with working almost full time and bringing my kids to various activities. I run a little (only about 5 or 6 km a week), do some hiking (maybe 10 km a week) and swim 2x a week. I haven't lost weight since my 4th child almost 8 yrs ago. I will keep trying.
  • angieread
    angieread Posts: 36 Member
    I'm in too! 41 years old - would love to lose the same number of pounds! LOVING MFP so far (started a week ago). I definitely think it's harder to lose weight now that I'm over 40, so I need all the support and encouragement I can get. My career and kids claim so much of my time, but I'm dedicated to making myself a priority this year.
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    This is second week back at the gym. I tend to over do it when I start back at the gym, so I promised my family this time I will take it easy and try to make slow progress. First goal was to lose 10 lbs before going back to the gym.. checked, did that. Stick to walking 3-4x week till I lose another 10lbs, then I will start strenght training 3-4x week with 3-4x walking/running. Currently just doing walking on incline. I figure once I reach 135-140lb I can start training for my triathlon. With 25+ lb gone, it should be easier on my foot and my time should improve. I made it to gym this morning and better yet, I resisted the urge to run!

I also get to buy a HRM as reward when I lose 20 lbs... I can't wait, 7 more lbs to go. I went out a bought a new outfit when I was down 10lbs. Anyone else have mini reward planned?
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Hi,my name is Teresa. I am 42 .Married with 4 children 1 granddaughter.(2) still at home.I started MFP back a few months ago.I really enjoy this site and it has helped me.I have had a few health issues to slow me down,but I am not giving up! I am currently in my first challenge until 2/14/12...But I would love to join this group..My goals this year is to run a half marathon in June and by the end of the year lose 40 lbs and be down to 130...what I was 19 yrs. ago when I met my husband..:flowerforyou:
  • 13nicholas
    13nicholas Posts: 154 Member
    48 Years Old - Pretty "Decent" Shape - Runner and P90x Grad. Yet, I have a way to go. Just had a body fat scan which showed I had 28% body fat. 87 more days of P90x2 and the diet should help. The DIET is always the killer!! Good for three days though!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Oh, hi there hewhoiscd!

Sooo, is it just this thread? Or is there a group? Someone could start it with the same title as this thread...
  • ld40
    ld40 Posts: 15 Member
    Couldn't get out for a run during lunch at work today because we had a team lunch. Just finished an hour on the stationary bike. My knees were making these crazy little popping/clicking noises for most of the time. No pain associated with them though. I also did 50 pushups 30/20/10 and a few sets of curls with the one set of dumbbells I have (25lb). I'm going to get out for a run at lunch tomorrow.

My first 5K will be a week from Saturday, and I have decided I am going to sign up for a half marathon. Scary, where I have only been running since a little before Thanksgiving, but I'm really enjoying it and look forward to having a big goal. There are a couple of local ones I am thinking about for the fall. I will probably try to find some 10K races in the spring in the meantime.

I also decided that i am going to rig up some kind of pull up bar in the basement. I tried to do some at the gym the other day and was bummed that I could only manage one at a time.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    can I be in? I'm 43.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Bookmarking
  • This looks like the group for me :glasses: . I am 48 yrs young and finding it harder to loose the weight and easier to gain back anything I have lost. Had to quite Weight Watchers because it took 2 months of being a great dieter to only lose 4 pounds so I joined myfitnesspal to get back to counting calories. Trying to find the link to fave this Board but seems like I need an invite.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    This looks like the group for me :glasses: . I am 48 yrs young and finding it harder to loose the weight and easier to gain back anything I have lost. Had to quite Weight Watchers because it took 2 months of being a great dieter to only lose 4 pounds so I joined myfitnesspal to get back to counting calories. Trying to find the link to fave this Board but seems like I need an invite.

no, no invite needed, you've posted, so now it should show up in Your topics list.
    Post away anytime.
    Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    42 here. Gained 10 lbs on anti thryroid medicine and have been struggling to lose it for a while. I get easily frustrated because of my impatient nature and then give up.... .Hoping this time to give it one more solid try.

Married, 2 kids (7 and 9), working mom. I swim, bike and run. I eat healthy foods but my downfall is sweets and portion control.