How do you do it!?

2»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    what does keto mean?
    Ketosis - an extremely low carb, higher fat/protein diet. Basically original Atkins.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    For breakfast I drink a shake consisting of 1 cup frozen berries, 1 cup almond milk, and 1 scoop Whey protein.
    For lunch I eat a piece of lean protein the size of my palm and all the vegetables I want.
    For supper I eat a piece of lean protein the size of my palm and all the vegetables I want.
    If I need a snack during the day, I eat almonds or all the veggies I want.
    I only drink water.
    I exercise most days.
    If you follow that you will lose at least 3 lbs per week.
    Simple and easy!
    Sorry, losing 3+ pounds a week is not a healthy rate; your diet also sounds awfully boring to me. I'll take my half pound a week with chocolate, fruit, and carbs.
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    I believe the foundation of weight loss is mental. You need to be motivated, and accept that it takes time and consistent effort. I also think you need a sustainable plan. If something is too restrictive it's going to be difficult to remain consistent with it. You need to find something that works for you - everyone is different. For me, I try to stay close to my calorie goal, but I don't weigh my portions and track obsessively, because I know I can't do that for the rest of my life. I allow myself "unhealthy" foods every once in a while but I don't have a set "cheat" day or meal. I like to see it as a lifestyle change rather than a restrictive diet.
    Regarding exercise, I only do cardio when I feel like it, because some days I enjoy it and others I'm dreading It more than anything. Some weeks I do cardio 5x, other weeks i'll be lucky if I do it once. I do pilates and strength training 6 times a week though, because I enjoy it. Find an exercise that you enjoy so that it's not a chore. Best of luck. Just try to find that motivation, which I believe is the hardest part. You'll be unstoppable from there on :)
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    More or less.
    I'm a night eater, generally, so I work with that. I have a banana and either a Double Shot drink or a Tall mocha lite frapp with an add shot (Starbucks addict!!), have a super small lunch - cup of soup, etc and then eat a larger dinner, or a medium one and have room for snacks.
    I also work out on the treadmill, almost every day.

I have to keep this fairly strict routine. If I don't, then I tend to overeat.
  • inufan4evar
    inufan4evar Posts: 73 Member
    I meet my calorie goal, I exercise by running C25K, and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Yoga Meltdown. Follow the plan MFP and you have set up, eat back some of this exercise calories and be patient! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

So when it says that you have earned a few more calories is it important to still eat those??? And thank you!
  • what does keto mean?
    Ketosis - an extremely low carb, higher fat/protein diet. Basically original Atkins.

Yes, it means I strive to stay in ketosis all the time, which is when your body uses ketones for fuel instead of carbs and subsequently burns fat more efficiently while stabilizing blood sugar and whatnot.

The biggest difference between atkins and keto is that atkins gradually reintroduces carbs, whereas keto does not. Keto requires a high fat intake and a moderate protein intake - about 1:1 in regards to food by weight (~65/35 by calorie). This promotes minimal muscle loss, which is a bonus, and also the reason keto (or modified versions that include carb ups for energy bursts) is popular among bodybuilders.
  • inufan4evar
    inufan4evar Posts: 73 Member
    That's a very good way to look at it and to make me feel more confident, thank you :)
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    I eat at a calorie deficit and I go to the gym 3-4 times per week & that's it. I've lost about 12 pounds so far & only have 18 more til my goal weight - which may change, I'm not sure. I'm happy with how things are going for me. I haven't cut anything out of my diet, I'm focusing more on portion size. I think working out is really helping me. I feel healthier and I can run for longer and longer each week, which is awesome!