WHY keep your food diary hidden?

1202122232426»

Replies

• ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    who gives a flying f---
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Hasn't this dead horse already been beaten enough? Why does anybody care if someone keeps their diary closed?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    I have no idea why anyone would do this. What's the point on being on here? I have friends look at my diary and say things about it that are so useful, and I do the same. Even if it's just to get food ideas! Those people that have their diaries closed will not be as successful or are missing out huge.

That is the biggest load of crap I've read since being on MFP.

What's the point of being here? Certainly not to share what i eat with strangers who will no doubt pm me every day saying im eating badly. They dont know my reasons, or my likes/dislikes. I already know what i need to be doing, so i dont need someone telling me stuff that may well be wrong or scaremongery anyway. And how can you say just because our diaries are closed we wont be successful?! Im doing fine ty, and never felt better.

If that is the biggest load of crap you've read since being here, you really haven't read that much! You also fail to realise that not everyone is here for the same reason...
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    I have no idea why anyone would do this. What's the point on being on here? I have friends look at my diary and say things about it that are so useful, and I do the same. Even if it's just to get food ideas! Those people that have their diaries closed will not be as successful or are missing out huge.

What's the point of being here? Certainly not to share what i eat with strangers who will no doubt pm me every day saying im eating badly. They dont know my reasons, or my likes/dislikes. I already know what i need to be doing, so i dont need someone telling me stuff that may well be wrong or scaremongery anyway. And how can you say just because our diaries are closed we wont be successful?! Im doing fine ty, and never felt better.

If that is the biggest load of crap you've read since being here, you really haven't read that much! You also fail to realise that not everyone is here for the same reason...

I don't fail to realize anything. The "crap" comment was me actually responding to the first paragraph. It is a load of crap for someone to say that people who keep their diary private won't be successful or are missing out huge.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member

I don't fail to realize anything. The "crap" comment was me actually responding to the first paragraph. It is a load of crap for someone to say that people who keep their diary private won't be successful or are missing out huge.

Ahhh, so you missed out the quotes, i thought it was YOU saying that!

Apologies! :)
  • Regardless if you share you diary or not. Any comments regarding the food diary are probaby positive on this sight, but until that person decides to change their choices it really means nothing. Just my thoughts!
  • Mine is public... Just because I haven't had a reason for it not to be. If I began receiving messages demeaning me for what I choose to eat, then I would make it friends-only... and delete anybody who bothered me. But I like that I can throw it out there and go "Hey guys, am I eating good?"

That said, I'm rather lazy with my logging. Back on that tomorrow. I need to get my phone's internet fixed up so I can log on the go.

And when I go into maintenance, I won't be logging as much, so I'll set my diary to private.

also, I used to be a member or Calorie King, and some of the things people said on there about what I ate were awful. I had a bad day where I ate crap and takeaway for every meal, and I had people who were "amazing [I am] *only* 72kg, with that diet".
  • bfrice1
    bfrice1 Posts: 62
    Fear. plain and simple. fear of judgement, fear of rejection, fear of humiliation. Fear.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Fear. plain and simple. fear of judgement, fear of rejection, fear of humiliation. Fear.

Yeah. I'm scared. You got me. *eyeroll*
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    I changed mine back to private as I was sick of people commenting on what I was eating. I have to eat so cheap, and have most of my meals at families house as I cant afford the food shopping, so I have little choice in what Ive given. So for someone to say to me " you need to eat more/less of XXX" just pisses me off. I dont need anyone telling me what to do, or making me feel even more bad about not being able to afford my own food. Im 5'7, 131 lbs and lost 48, so think Im doing pretty well on my own!!
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Mine is open to my friends but I recently had this discussion with someone and they shared that they had a hard time being honest with herself and she was learning to do that with her food diary. This is a personal journey. If someone feels more safe being honest if it is just them and their diary, that is their choice to make.
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member
    I keep mine closed because I didn't join this site to show the world what I'm eating! I joined to help ME track my calories. Not strangers or my dear MFP friends. Do people on here struggle to sleep at night knowing that people decide to keep their diaries closed?
  • Moonbyebye
    Moonbyebye Posts: 180 Member

it's up there on my list of the world ending, sharks, etc...
  • Maybe because MFP members don't want to be scrutinized on what they are choosing to eat. Everyone has their bad days along with their good. What if one day I want to eat 5 Twinkies? At least if its private I can still list it and realize what I chose to eat and observe and not have everyone's 2 cents. Obviously i know i shouldn't be eating 5 Twinkies :P
  • justbecause2014
    justbecause2014 Posts: 371 Member
    I leave mine open for one reason..because I LOVE reading other peoples food diaries so I may as well let them read mine!