40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Replies

• PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    I'm 40 and new here! SO I'm happy to get all the support I can! I'm a newly single mother of 4 & 5 yr old girls and ready get comfortable in my own skin again. I need to loose about 50lbs but I'd be totally comfortable loosing 30. My goal has never been to be a skinny minny. (-: I just want to feel good physically and feel comfortable in clothes again. And, most important - I want to be healthy!
  • toniandrws
    toniandrws Posts: 16 Member
    Hi, I'm one week new here and love the site. I am 42 and busy, really thinking this keeping track of everything is the best way to go with losing weight. I have about 30lbs to lose and feeling good about it. Anyone that wants to add me please feel free, I log everyday.
    Tonia
  • I tell almost the same story as toniandrws, except I'm 48. I'm almost a week "new" and have about 30 lbs to lose. I love the way this site works!! Need lots of encouragement, please, because the cookies call me, regularly, from the cabinet!! Sweets are my weakness and I like to bake for my two kids, so.... dilemma!! ;-)
    As of now, my best buddy and I going to zumba 1-2 times a week... and, I log in throughout the day... I hoping these new "habits" will continue to take me in the right direction!!
    Looking forward to walking this path to weight loss and better health!!:happy:
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Hi everyone! Hope you all had a good week, and the new folks are getting used to the MFP lifestyle.....so great to see everyone posting!

Things are good here. On my 5th week of P90x. I did the Chest, Shoulders and Triceps workout for the first time today and it humbled me as I realize I'm still VERY WEAK. It was hard, and I needed to stop many times. Yes, I'm at the right weight now, but there's still a lot of improvement that needs to be done.......

Diet has been a little challenging. I wanted to get back to normal after the holidays. I scaled my calories back just a little. But then my husband had vendor friends over to the house the other night and I had to make this gigantic, decadent dinner...and I made the best brownie recipe ever at his request....and of course they are not still in the house. As much as I know while maintaining, this is a-ok for me to eat what I want as long as it is not an everyday habit, I was kind of hoping to have a clean week.....well, maybe I can start again tomorrow?

Did anyone read that NYT's article on the dangers of Yoga?? Kind of interesting if you haven't....I had no idea it was something controversial. I have been doing a little more of it in my P90x routine and after reading this, I realize if there is something I'm really pushing, I probably should take it really slow! Anyone have any perspective on this? Here is the link if interested...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/how-yoga-can-wreck-your-body.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

have a great weekend everyone!
  • nellyb2011
    nellyb2011 Posts: 168 Member
    Hi everyone happy New Year! I just turned 41 a couple of weeks agp. I lost 22 lbs last year and I want to do equal that or more this year. I have a few more years before I am an empty nester. I am a single mom of 3- 20, 17, and 13. 40+ and fly is my goal.
    I plan on traveling and I want to do it in style!!!
  • denice0414
    denice0414 Posts: 40 Member
    Hi everyone!!! I am 45(tomorrow) and a single mom to one amazing littlle boy who has Autism. I would like to say it's baby weight that I'm trying to lose but I already did that.. This I slowly let creep up the last couple years. I want to lose @35lbs and I've already lost 9. I'm on my 4th day of 30day shred and really excited about it . I also go to the gym to do cardio3-5x a week while my child is in school. Hope everyone is having a great start to the new year!!!! Denice
  • Hi, I am a 41 year old married mother of two. I would love to lose 20-30 pounds. I just started , so haven't been on this journey a week yet. Finding it frustrating, but determined to keep at it. Hope everyone is having a great 2012 so far!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Sooo many posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Soooo little time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Good luck to everyone with your goals!!! Let's keep each other motivated!! How did you do this week with all your short term goals? My primary goal this week was to get back to eating clean most meals, drink lots of water and log in my foods. I can truly say I accomplished my goals for this week! I stepped on the scale and lost 1.8lbs since last Friday!!! No plans to go out this weekend so I am not very concerned about over eating or drinking. My husband offered to prepare a drink for me and I said No Thanks!!! So I am pretty happy with that!!! He had a beer.

Robin, hi!!! Thanks for the article. I did Bikram yoga today, after not doing it since Oct, and I think I pulled a muscle on my back, right under the shoulder blades. :cry: :sad: You and the article are right, the key is to take it slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything today was fine till the end when I jerked a little to get in a position, I had to lie down most of the rest of the time. I was very dissapointed in myself because I tend to be very careful, sometimes skipping some positions that I think are just too dangerous. Definitely those stands and other poses in P90X are crazy!!! I usually skipped them and just did the downward dog or cobra...Be careful!!! Chest, shoulders and tri is one of my favorites but it is tough!!!!

firedancer, welcome!!! :drinker: Dont get frustrated, take it one pound at a time! You can do it!!! Try to set yourself daily or weekly goals other than focus on the 20-30lbs that you want to lose.

Denice, congrats on the weightloss!!! Keep up the good work! I love 30 day shred!! It is fun! My 18yr old son has severe autism/MR. He is my Angel and I am sure yours is too! God bless him!

Nelly, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will traveling in style in no time!!!! :happy:

Hoothill, ZUMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I am a Zumba Instructor and 48 yrs old myself. Cookies are calling you? Get rid of them and dont bring them back in!!!! :laugh: :laugh: easier said than done. How old are your children? Do they really need the cookies? Maybe you can try baking healthier cookies and also making them less often. Talk to them about your goals. I have a sweet tooth and I can eat everything of the "bad" foods so my strategy is not to keep anything in the house that I know I would overdo. If I am really craving ice cream and I know I havent had any in a while then I go to Marble Slab or Cold stone and have some and done with. Same with a cookie or bagel, etc. No, it doesnt work all the time, I am in no way perfect, far from it, but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay focused and be successful.

Tron, Swiss, sdereski, Chris - good to hear from all of you!!!! This group has really taken off, right?

Swiss, no word from Sing. :cry: I sent a message to Stiring, she is alright, but she hasnt heard from him either and she has no other way to contact him but through this site. I truly think something happened to him. I just hope not but that is what I think...:cry: I know he was travelling to Germany with his wife again this year but not until Mar or April and it is usually for about 2 wks.

Have a great evening and weekend!!! :flowerforyou: Eat and drink in moderation and exercise or do some active rest! I might need to skip my strength trng session tomorrow due to my pain from the yoga pose but I need to take down all the Christmas decorations and clean house so that is a workout on itself!!! I also need to work on some Zumba choreography. :heart:
  • hi 45 non active over weight non cool kid here...but would like to be cool....in my younger years i couldnt gain weight even while pregnant thsn when i turned 40 all of sudden weight just poured on...i want it off
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    so far I'm on track to meet my goals this week of eating clean, logging all my foods, not jacking up my points and exercising. I'll give the straight cardio another two weeks and then I'll start adding weights back in. the gym i belong to now doesn't have the best free weight section AND what they do have is in front of the treadmills as opposed to being tucked away in a corner somewhere so this should be interesting.

I'm considering adding some sort of protein shake to my daily diet because my total calories are too low and I know that in the long run this will trip up my efforts especially once i add the free weights in. however, i'm lactose intolerant and the last time I mixed up a powder myoplex shake it made the insides of my mouth itch like crazy. i drink soy milk every day so I know it wasn't the milk. go figure. any suggestions for other brands?

my male child goes back to school on sunday so we are spending time tomorrow morning shooting pool and playing ping pong. the female child is coming along too so this should be funny.

happy weekend everybody!

Tika!
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Can I join? 43, will be 44 in about 3 weeks! Need to get healthier and tone up! Looking forward to interacting with others my age with the same goals.

Wendy
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Hi everyone,
    I’m 45, married, mom of 3 (17, 13, 11). Hoping to run a ½ marathon in the spring, a full in the fall and a century ride in between.
  • Hi there. I need support and will be a good support to other people, too. I am 45, had back surgery at 29, and have gained 40lbs since then. I want to lose 50 lbs, but I really don't know how to do that.

I walk 2-4 miles 6 days a week. My short term goals are to log my food every day, walk a bit faster this week and not obsess about doing this perfectly or it means failure. That's new to me.

Long term goals... to always be prepared physically for what comes up to do. I want to be strong. Right now it is hard to turn over in bed because my back is so cranky most of the time. Before my surgery I did 1,000 sit ups a night before bed. My back was crap, but my abs were hard. ha! Haven't done them since. Have had two children and am just now getting to the point of doing some things for myself. This week, after walking 5 days in a row, I can't believe how much better my back and hips feel. So, if a camping trip comes up, I want to be able to load the car. If a birthday or anniversary comes along, I want to go on a trip without stressing that the clothes available to me to wear are so ugly. I do not want a beauty queen body. Just a normal, healthy and strong body.

I don't enjoy preparing food. That is my biggest challenge. If it's too time consuming, then I just want to skip it. I don't even enjoy food that much. But it filled up the boring moments of life well these past 20 years.

Looking forward to reading about others here.

Blessings.
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Well hello 4 club! I am 44 yrs old and will be getting married this summer. :happy: I have 3 sons (2 stepsons & 1 is my own; all in their early 20's). My goal is to lose all this access weight before July. :drinker: I have started 30 DS, exercising on the elliptical at times and go for walks. My calorie intake has been around 1,000. Once I gain more exercise to my routine, I will increase it.

:flowerforyou: Lori
  • Hi Denise! Love your attitude!!! :-) I, too, am trying to lose the baby-weight... last baby was born 11 years ago!!! ;-)
    WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  • Good morning alf1163!!

Thanks SO much for your support and suggestions!!! My kids are 13 and 11 and, actually, VERY supportive!!! My 13 yr old daughter reminds me, often, "are you sure you want to eat that?"!!! I made a batch of cookies, yesterday, and ate NONE of them!! YAY, ME!!! There are even a few still out on the counter... and I'm determined to let them stay there until my son or daughter eats them!!!

I try to buy healthy snacks... but, when I don't, I REALLY need to learn MODERATION!!!!

Loving Zumba!!! Must admit that this morning will only be my second class, but I really feel as though I'm hooked already!!!!!

Have a SUPER day!!!

~Beth
  • sreeves1429
    sreeves1429 Posts: 23 Member
    Good Morning everyone,

hewhoiscd: Congratulations on completing your race this morning!!!

alf1163: question for you, I have two left feet (literally, as I have never learned to dance!!), but am interested in trying zumba. Do you think it is something I would be able to get the hang of?

I think I met most of my goals this week. My goals were to try and eat with better consistency and try to increase my caloric intake, which I know is still way too low. I also wanted to try and incorporate some kind of physical activity for a period of time each day. These have been perpetual challenges for me because I don't eat at normal intervals what with running around between work and activities for my three younger children. This week I made a more concerted effort and while I am still struggling with the eating, I have managed to carve out some time in the day for activites.

I found this great looking boot camp program on demand with my cable provider and decided to try it out last night. Well it kicked me in the backside, but in a good way. I was not able to get thru it, but I will definitely be going back and my goal for the coming week will be to continue to improve my eating habits and to complete the book camp workout.

Have a great week everyone!!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    My very first race: MADD Dash 5K Resolution Run

First off, and most importantly, I had fun :) Will definitely do it again. I'm registered for a 5K race next month already.

Race packet pick-up for pre-registered racers was 7am. I got there at 6:30am :D Temps in the low 50F's. First in line, so I got number 101. Then I had to wait till the race started at 8am. Admired the sunrise. Walked around a bit, did a little stretching, some short warm up runs. Tried to decide what to wear with the temps. I settled on warmup pants (not sweats) with running shorts underneath and on top just a compression short sleeve shirt and a hat. Before I knew it, it was time to head for the starting line.

Experience trumps research.

I had read over and over again that a common newbie mistake was to jack rabbit the start and run way too fast the first mile or two and be left with nothing in the tank for the 3rd mile. I told myself over and over again before the race started to take it easy the 1st mile (about a 9mm pace) and then go from there. That all went out the window when the air horn went off, lol.

1st mile @ 8m13s

So I position myself in the middle of the pack at the starting line, about 40-50 runners total. I fire up Endomondo on my Droid Bionic that's in my brand new sports armband. And wait for the horn. The horn sounds! and I push start in my App and start running. Immediately I think to myself that I should have started a bit closer to the front since I was dodging and passing quite a few people the first 30 seconds or so. But it's not too bad, and I find a fairly empty spot to run in pretty quickly. I settle in to what I *think* is a nice easy pace and I'm feeling pretty good. I look at my pace numbers on Endomondo and see I am running way to fast of a pace, and I slow down (I thought), I look again later and I'm still running too fast. Seems like no matter how much I tell myself to slow the pace down, I just keep pumping along anyway, lol. 1st mile comes and goes and I did it in 8m13s. That's pretty close to the fastest I've ever ran a mile by itself, and I still have 2.11 more miles to go. Not good! I tell myself, again, I really need to slow down!

2nd mile @ 8m18s

I'm still feeling remarkably good for the pace I set the 1st mile, but I know I'm not going to be able to keep it at that pace for the whole distance. But I just keep on pumping away anyway, lol. Towards the end of the 2nd mile I am starting to feel it. Stitch/cramp in the right side. I try to focus on breathing and stretching that side while running, but it keeps getting worse.

3rd mile @ 10m35s

It should come as no surprise by now that my 3rd mile was rough. I finally slowed my pace, forced to by my body at this point. I really wanted to run the whole distance, but the cramp was getting worse and worse, my breathing more and more ragged. I finally had to drop to a brisk walk. I walked for longer than I wanted, but soon as I could, I forced myself into a jog.

5K total = 28m17s

At the finish line, I was totally spent. Took a long time for the stitch to let up after the race. On the plus side, my legs felt great the whole time, and over all I am feeling pretty good now just a few hours later. I believe that if I had been able to actually run the pace I had planned on running, I would have finished at 27m or a little less. Maybe next month when I do the next race :)
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    I want to join this group:bigsmile:
    I want to slim down,:bigsmile: tone muscle,:bigsmile: control my hunger swings:bigsmile: and keep my slimmer frame.:bigsmile:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Alf: My eyes were going crossed trying to find evidence of Sing on this site. I too am a little worried. That is part of the reason I jumped back in here. Glad to hear that String is doing well is she still in the DC area?

Okay so here goes....my goals for January: At least 3 days/week running. At least 2 days/week weight training. At least 1 Yoga for athletes/week (trying to avoid running injuries with plenty of flexibilty) At least 5 servings of fruits/veggies/day At least 8 glass of water/day.

Since I'm just getting back to running I will save distance goals for later in the year.