need a filler

Can anyone suggest a snack that will fill me up for a longer amount of time. I often find myself wanting to snack in the afternoon. I have just started watching what I eat closely so am kind of unfamiliar with the healthy alternatives. I have tried the 100 calorie packs but they don't fill me up :frown:

Replies

• Can anyone suggest a snack that will fill me up for a longer amount of time. I often find myself wanting to snack in the afternoon. I have just started watching what I eat closely so am kind of unfamiliar with the healthy alternatives. I have tried the 100 calorie packs but they don't fill me up :frown:
  • sa3whitt
    sa3whitt Posts: 7
    I use those 100 calories snacks for those times when I am craving chocolate and just need a treat.
    For a filler snack, try the cheese bites and triscuits (7 in a serving), drink w/ a glass of water and it tides me over.
    Good luck.
  • lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    fruit and vegies, you can eat a fair amount with low calories
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    I just posted a similar topic "Snack Time?"

I'm hoping to get some other snacking ideas also.

I've been eating Fiber One Cereal - 60 cals per 1/2 cup, but with the fiber content, the calories almost zero out. I also eat alot of popcorn (using an air popper) only 15 calories per cup (that's like 6.5 cups before you hit 100 calories).

I'm editing to add... although fiber is very good for you - I limit the Fiber One cereal to one cup per day, I've heard too much fiber can have unpleasant side effects.
  • amber082
    amber082 Posts: 3 Member
    Maybe some sort of nuts will fill you up more. Nuts have tons of protein and that should sustain you for longer.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    an apple and peanut butter or veggies. I have celery, carrots and cherry tomatoes with a little light ranch or an apple and peanut butter with a glass of nonfat milk in the afternoons this keeps me full until dinner and I avoid hunger headaches and crabbiness too!
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    :smile: One thing that I do is break my meals down to five a day and two snacks, the snacks are usually a banana. It helps to do it that way because your eating about every two hours the length I believe it takes to digest what you have eaten before. What I like to have for a filler is a rice cake about 50calories, I've got Carmel corn flavor right now. I also like Hy Vee's Cheese and Garlic baked croutons, large cut. 6 large pieces is 30 calories. I really like the flavor. And yes I agree on veggies, I like celery, cauliflower, sometimes a little peanut butter on the celery, and fat free veggie dips.
  • I have noticed that eating oatmeal in the morning keeps me full a little longer in the day. I still will eat my morning snack of some fruit or veggies. I try drinking a whole glass of water before I eat and it seems to help. :happy:
    A Coworker got me hooked on adding these Lipton ice tea mixes that have 0 calories in them. They help me drink water more often throughout the day!!! Good luck though I understand being hungry I work inside I a grocery store and staying away from the candy and bad stuff is sooooo hard. :grumble:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    You will want to eat some protein such as cheese or milk, and veggies are good too. Veggies are filled with fiber and very low in calories. High fiber and proteins will stick with you.

Those 100 calories snacks are basically empty calories, which will satisfy your sweet tooth, but will not fill you or stick with you. I look at the 100 calorie packs as the (light cigarettes of our time).

Stick with less processed stuff and you'll do great.
  • sjschwab
    sjschwab Posts: 15
    i've found the vegetable beef soup at hand is an excellent filler and has only 60 calories 1g fat... the chicken and stars has 70 and 2g and the chicken & mini noodles has 80 and 2g. I love these because they transport easily -- i take 'em to the garage and work on my projects.

oooo wasa crackers and laughing cow cheese are great too and under 100 cal

try them out
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    fruit and vegies, you can eat a fair amount with low calories

I agree! Fruits and veggies can really fill you up with low calories and they're good for you...win win situation.
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    I don't know how many calories you are looking to keep a snack around but when I get a craving in the afternoon...as I usually do...I make a veggie wrap. I buy the low fat/low carb whole wheat wraps (80 calories) and I load it with green & red pepper strips, cucumbers, onion and chopped tomatoes. If I want a some type of sauce I use taco bell medium salsa! It's very low in fat and calories but has lots of flavor. The whole snack is about 100 -110 calories and it fills me all the way through until dinner. Yummy! If you have some extra calories to expend, add an 1/4 C. shredded low fat or fat free mozzarella. It will still be less than 160 calories!
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    I just wanted to tell you a little info I learned about Fiber One. It has aspartame. I never realized why it made me so hungry until i found out it had aspartame. Aspartame (fake sugar) increases my and many people's appetities. I was an avid fiber one cereal eater for years because i saw how low in calories it is but in the end if it makes you hungry it is not worth it.
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Try yogurt! For me it curbs the need for sweet and it's quite filling, and gives you calcium!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    veggies and home made dip, or yogurt or fruit with natural dips.... tons of recipes on web....
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Usually I make a stir fry just out of veggies and fry it with a little pam. Eggplant celery and peppers all have really low calories and I mix it with either a low sodium soy sauce or top it with a low calorie salad dressing. It makes me feel like I am cheating b/c it feels like a whole meal instead of a snack. Oh and I love the 94% fat free popcorn because you can get a lot for 100 calories
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I like freeze-dried fruit. It's crunchy like chips, but it's just fruit. Not cheap! One that's available at WF is called "Just Fruit" they also have a "Just Veggies". The banana and strawberry is really good. The fruit sours a little when freeze dried, so be careful of blackberries and the like, unless you really like sour!
  • auntkaren
    I just wanted to tell you a little info I learned about Fiber One. It has aspartame. I never realized why it made me so hungry until i found out it had aspartame. Aspartame (fake sugar) increases my and many people's appetite's. I was an avid fiber one cereal eater for years because i saw how low in calories it is but in the end if it makes you hungry it is not worth it.
    Thanks for the heads up. That is good for me to know, I and Aspartame don't get along, or at least my stomach:happy:
  • auntkaren
    I just wanted to add another filler that works for me , and that is beans.......homemade if you can as to not to get to much sodium. Soup beans, pork and beans of any kind.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    I agree with oatmeal for breakfast. I eat apples, yogurt and 100 cal kettle corn (I can't get enough of this stuff!) to fill me up. Those 100 cal popcorn bags are actually quite a lot of popcorn. I was surprised. I also plan snacks 3 times a day so I never have to go longer than 3 hours without eating. This has really helped me.