Just Can't Eat It Anymore

Options
I know that as we eat better we acquire a taste for the healthier eating style and often find it hard to go back to how we used to eat. On Sunday I really wanted pizza, so I bought two and we had it for lunch with friends. It went down really well for lunch and I thought for sure I'd pig out all day. Well, everytime I went back and put another slice on a plate, I had second thoughts and put it back on the tray. I didn't have any on Monday and yesterday I heard it calling my name. I tried my usual craving quieters: water, exercise, walking away, etc, but nothing silenced it. So I gave in and had it for lunch, along with the last little 2" by 2" square of spice cake and the last 1/4 cup of dulce de leche ice cream. Eating leftovers so they don't go to "waste" is one of my biggest eating disorders, I discovered just last night. Talk about an AH HA moment!! :noway: While it tasted good going down, it absolutely haunted me the rest of the day. I was so sick by dinnertime last night I was almost in tears. :sick: I had a simple salad with some seasoned ground turkey and a little cheese even though I didn't want to eat at all. Today, I still feel the pain in my stomach from my choices yesterday and I'm throwing the leftovers away and I'm determined that the little voice in my head will NOT convince me I just killed a starving child in Africa by doing that. :angry:

What is your experience with this and what did you learn from it?? I love the insight from others.

Replies

• catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I know that as we eat better we acquire a taste for the healthier eating style and often find it hard to go back to how we used to eat. On Sunday I really wanted pizza, so I bought two and we had it for lunch with friends. It went down really well for lunch and I thought for sure I'd pig out all day. Well, everytime I went back and put another slice on a plate, I had second thoughts and put it back on the tray. I didn't have any on Monday and yesterday I heard it calling my name. I tried my usual craving quieters: water, exercise, walking away, etc, but nothing silenced it. So I gave in and had it for lunch, along with the last little 2" by 2" square of spice cake and the last 1/4 cup of dulce de leche ice cream. Eating leftovers so they don't go to "waste" is one of my biggest eating disorders, I discovered just last night. Talk about an AH HA moment!! :noway: While it tasted good going down, it absolutely haunted me the rest of the day. I was so sick by dinnertime last night I was almost in tears. :sick: I had a simple salad with some seasoned ground turkey and a little cheese even though I didn't want to eat at all. Today, I still feel the pain in my stomach from my choices yesterday and I'm throwing the leftovers away and I'm determined that the little voice in my head will NOT convince me I just killed a starving child in Africa by doing that. :angry:

What is your experience with this and what did you learn from it?? I love the insight from others.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that too that looking at some desserts (my used to be favorite mind you) make me sick looking at it. I think for me its a mental thing you know what it does to you.
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from...I LOVE PIZZA!!!!!! But I have actually found something that equivalates out of the weight watchers cookbook. Just take a tortialla shell ( I usually use a fat free or wheat ) and spread pizza sause or really any kind of marinara sauce. Then use the fat free or 2% reduced fat and sprinkle a light layer. Then you top away. I love pepperoni so I use the turkey kind. Then of course I put onions, mushroos, green peppers....whatever I have on hand....topping it off will another light sprinkle of cheese. Bake it in the oven @ 350-375 until the cheese melts. I am telling you this is the best pizza substitute ever. I usually eat it like 3-4 times a week....if not more:love: Beleive it or not I get full off of it too along with my craving being satisfied. If you are still hugry try eating a salad with it. I am not sure what the calories/fat/fiber are on it but if you are really interested I can get it for you from the cookbook. I hope this helps you fight that PIzza Hut pizza urge!!!:wink:
    Oh and about the toppings really go wild with it....just make sure your ingredients are low fat!!! If you use just a marinara sauce try sprinkling it with an italian seasoning or oregano before you hit it with cheese. Really gives it that pizza taste
  • athomemommy
    athomemommy Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love pizza too, so when we order pizza, my kids and hubby have the normal pep. pizza and I order myself a thin crust no cheese with chicken, green peppers and onions on it. I am telling you it is soooo good and then when I eat it for lunch the next few days I dont feel guilty at all. I know no cheese but that is one thing on the pizza that is the worst for you and also thick crust is too.Put you can pretty much sub. the toppings for anything you like!!!
  • bittersweet22
    bittersweet22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza, just one slice though, and I eat it with a salad. OK and about what you said about the starving kids in africa, you eating the food, and gaining weight isn't going to help them! so I think of it as, I would rather throw it away and sit in the garbage, than me eat it, and it go straight for my thighs!!! there are other ways of helping starving people! :smile:
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the same thing! we always were made to clean our plates growing up and what wasnt ate went to the fridge for the next day and was ate then, so knowing I am " wasting" food is definitely by far my biggest trouble with dieting, I try to fix smaller portions for myself, but when you are ating with a group of people it is harder. the only thing I can tell you is that once in awhile those cheat days are great, just count that as one of yours, and also you said you tried everything to quiet the craving, if you still wante dit maybe there was some part of that pizza that your body needed?? I have read our body tells us when we are lacking something, so maybe there was something there that you really needed?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    See, now 1 slice would be like a private hell for me. I'm a big dude, and 1 slice is just a tease.

So my wife and I make our own. We use a thin crust whole wheat pizza crust, healthy choice pizza sauce, and reduced fat skim milk mozarella and it turns out pretty good. She throws all kinds of veggies on her side, I usually just add garlic and mushrooms to mine.

I usually have 2 slices and that comes to about 325 Cals total, which is good for me. I'll throw in a side salad and it's all good.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    So I gave in and had it for lunch, along with the last little 2" by 2" square of spice cake and the last 1/4 cup of dulce de leche ice cream. Eating leftovers so they don't go to "waste" is one of my biggest eating disorders

My experience with this: throw away the left overs. If eating leftovers is one your biggest eating disorders just throw away the remainder to prevent you from giving in.

If you can't throw food away, give it to someone but if you cannot give it away fast enough it's going to sit in your fridge and call your name until it's eaten.

In addition, if you throw it away you won't be tempted to go into the trash for more. ^_^
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza, just one slice though, and I eat it with a salad. OK and about what you said about the starving kids in africa, you eating the food, and gaining weight isn't going to help them! so I think of it as, I would rather throw it away and sit in the garbage, than me eat it, and it go straight for my thighs!!! there are other ways of helping starving people! :smile:

Well said! Unless you're going to mail your food to starving people, it's not going to get over there! There is no difference in throwing it away or eating it.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    When we have pizza, we have it with just cheese. We don't miss the fatty toppings at all!. the biggest difference....no greasy fat soaked cardboard!:laugh:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I love pizza too but now I can only have like 1-2 slices before my stomach starts telling me how bad its gonna feel in the next day or so. :wink:
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Papa Murphy's Vegearian DeLight. Soooo yummy and only 150 calories a slice!