net calories versus actual calories

Options
I am totally confused. I am not hitting 1200 calories on any day. I have had as much as 700 calories in a day leftover. If i want to lose weight and exercise everyday, wouldn't my body just adjust to the gym calorie deficeit and I would not lose weight. If it really is that I can eat what I burn, then on a bad day I should just go to the gym more/longer?

Replies

• tracypaprocki
    Options
    I am totally confused. I am not hitting 1200 calories on any day. I have had as much as 700 calories in a day leftover. If i want to lose weight and exercise everyday, wouldn't my body just adjust to the gym calorie deficeit and I would not lose weight. If it really is that I can eat what I burn, then on a bad day I should just go to the gym more/longer?
  • xmimikinsx
    xmimikinsx Posts: 191
    Options
    I think you should let us all know a typical day for you and what you eat all day long to onnly be eating 500 Kcal?!?!?! That is not healthy and will encourage your body to go into to starvation mode which means you will not lose weight.
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    i burn 450 to 800 calories a day. on sundays I do pilates and regular gym and burned 1100 calories. For breakfast I have a 100 calorie English muffin. For lunch I eat a salad and a bowl of soup or rice. For dinner I have a weighed serving of meat, I have rice or noodles again weighed serving, and I have vegetables. I have also been allowing myself 13 jellybeans a day (I love jelly beans). At night if I need a snack I eat a 100 calorie pack or 94% fat free popcorn. I drink iced tea with sweet and low all day. 1 cup of coffee in the morning (work days only) with 2 sweet and low and non dairy creamer. I have been counting calories for about a year now and tracked on another site (which did not add in my calories burned) and have lost 35lbs in the past 1 and 1/2 years. I have not been able to lose anymore weight for about 2 months.
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Wow nice menu.

I think you have reached what is a called a "plataeu". Try changing the type of exercises you do when you do them and for how long. You just need to shake it up a bit to give your body a little shock into losing weight again...it's just used to it!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    i burn 450 to 800 calories a day. on sundays I do pilates and regular gym and burned 1100 calories. For breakfast I have a 100 calorie English muffin. For lunch I eat a salad and a bowl of soup or rice. For dinner I have a weighed serving of meat, I have rice or noodles again weighed serving, and I have vegetables. I have also been allowing myself 13 jellybeans a day (I love jelly beans). At night if I need a snack I eat a 100 calorie pack or 94% fat free popcorn. I drink iced tea with sweet and low all day. 1 cup of coffee in the morning (work days only) with 2 sweet and low and non dairy creamer. I have been counting calories for about a year now and tracked on another site (which did not add in my calories burned) and have lost 35lbs in the past 1 and 1/2 years. I have not been able to lose anymore weight for about 2 months.

If it's not too personal, can you give us your numbers? I know your a 35 year old female. And I know your active. But what is your current weight and height? I mean, if your consuming 1100 calories AND adding between 450 and 800 a day I can already tell you that you are way under what you should be eating (especially protein, active people usually need higher % protein and you are only getting one serving, you need more then that). But the numbers would give us something more concrete.
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I am 5'9 and weigh 163.

I find it hard to increase protein without increasing fat.

I just wanted to make sure I can really eat the calories I burn. I don't want to and then start gaining weight.
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    Hi there

I just calculated your BMI and you are at an EXTREMELY health weight.

See below.

Your BMI is 23.5
    If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 you're an ideal weight for your height. To maintain this, make sure you eat a healthy, well-balanced diet and keep active with regular exercise. This will lower your chances of developing heart disease, diabetes and other health problems.
    Even if your weight is ideal, you need to keep an eye on your waist size. People who are 'apple-shaped' rather than 'pear-shaped' are more at risk from health problems.
    Top tip
    Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. To improve your health further, stop smoking, cut down on salt and high-fat foods, and limit your alcohol intake.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    ***NOTE: I'm not a doctor, I have done research, lots of it, but that doesn't make me anyone special, as always, I recommend talking with a certified nutritionist, your doctor, or at least a certified trainer with a diet certification***

Ahh, To maintain with NO EXERCISE you should be between 2000 and 2300 calories. 1100 is EXTREMELY low. I'm talking boardering on health risk low. If you add exercise into that mix, your in serious jeopardy of causing permenant damage to your internal organs. If I were you, I would go see a nutritionist or a dietician. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but really, we want to make sure everyone does this in a healthy way.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Steve
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I agree with Banks. Your calorie intake seems very low and it appears to be extremely low in proteins. If you can, I would see a nutritionist. At the least I would start adding in some more lean proteins to your diet.

Don't worry about eating your calories. So many people on here have said the same thing over and over and have found that eating more actually helps them lose more weight, myself included.

Since you have been at such low calories for a while you may be in starvation mode. When you up your calories you will probably see some small weight gain as your body's metabolism has slowed down. Once your body adjust to knowing it's getting sufficient calories your metabolism will speed up again and you will see the weight come off. I have heard some people say it took a month but the results after were great.

Good luck!
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    I am still trying to lose weight.. I know my BMI is ok but I stilll have fat in most places, I am not clinically overweight but I am physically. I will try to increase my intake and see if that helps.
  • xmimikinsx
    Options
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/starvation.htm

Please see this link. And also this quote from above website:-

"Women consuming only 1000kcal or less will lose 2-4 lbs in a week, men 3-5 lbs in a week, depending on start weight and activity level. It is not recommended that calories be so restricted for more than one week - for most people this level of calories is too low to obtain enough nutrition, and may have the effect of slowing metabolism."
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    thank you. I was just confused about eating what I burn through exercise. I did yesterday get all the calories in. I know understand the net calories vs calories.