Grocery shopping! Need help! Please :))

Moofey2
Moofey2 Posts: 327 Member
Okay so, I am on my own and I really do not have alot of money to spend. I also want to be healthy but cannot afford alot of fancy diet food.. So what items would you put on my list?

Need help!

Lets say my budget is about 50-100 dollars for food.

Replies

• deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Chicken.

I never put specific vegetables and fruits on my grocery list. I do walk through the produce section and look for what's on sale, and decide what to buy then.
  • Moofey2
    Chicken.

I never put specific vegetables and fruits on my grocery list. I do walk through the produce section and look for what's on sale, and decide what to buy then.

Thank you!
  • ssappy44
    ssappy44 Posts: 17 Member
    well, can give you an example of a filling meal I had this morning for approx 320 cals... 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg, scrambled. 1/2 cup refried vegetarian beans, 2 servings salsa and a small sauted zucchini. Might try to get some meal ideas first before shopping. Doesn't have to be expensive!:smile:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    I agree with Chicken and fresh vegetables. I'd also add almonds, eggs, dried beans/legumes.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    I think your best bet is to plan out your meals first and see what you can get on sale, this way you don't stray from your list. Something I get that makes several meals is Spaghetti Squash. I roast it and mix it with turkey sausage or lean meat and a can of tomatoes and I have a great meal. Since the squash is so big I have plenty to freeze and make individual meals.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    excellent advice! I totally agree!!

Chicken and browsing the produce for what is on sale :)

also you can't go wrong with eggs. nuts. and dry beans.

for a healthy snack that does not cost tons try getting canned chick peas. Drain and rinse well dry on a paper towel then sprinkle with a little dry seasoning such as galic and roast em in the oven they get crunchy and taste yummy! good go to snack thats easy to make and take along with you. and in most place you can get a can for a buck or 2.
  • these may not be always low calorie ideas, but this website is built around frugal cooking... http://poorgirlgourmet.blogspot.com/ I also have some ideas on my website www.cookingwithtrace.com

My advice is to investment cook. Make a roast chicken and veggies and then portion it out into different meals (chicken salad, soup, enchiladadas, etc.)

We make a batch of pumpkin chili or taco soup and it is fairly cheap and goes a long way... good luck!
  • I also agree with chicken and eggs. Plus, we always have packet, flavoured rice and pasta, steamed vegetables and low calorie tinned soups for something quick and easy. Hope this helps :happy:
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    greek yogurt is great :) Throw a little granola on top and you have a very tasty snack.. Lean meats and fish arI e great place to start :).. If you are a soup eater start with a big pot of vegetable soup.. You could probably freeze half and eat off the rest for the whole week. I always put edamame in mine to add a little extra protein.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Fancy diet food is overrated and usually not as healthy as whole, fresh food anyway. :)

Have you ever heard of the clean 15 and the dirty dozen? Google it-- they are a list of the important foods to buy organic.

I would also recommend frozen veggies, cheese (which you can usually find some brand or type on sale), sale produce (and plan your menus based on what is on sale that week), milk, chicken, tortillas, canned diced or crushed tomatoes.

With a few staples like bread, cream of chicken or celery, bouillon, pasta, flour, etc. you can make some good meals-- quesadillas, soup, red sauce and pasta, casseroles.

GL!
  • Moofey2
    Thank you all! Wonderful ideas!!!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I'm not sure where you live, but if you have an Aldi around there try it out. They have frozen veggies, lots of produce reasonably priced and all kinds of fit and active (light) products. I buy a lot of my fish there too.Kroger has a lot of frozen food on sale if you watch for it... good luck hunting
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Okay so, I am on my own and I really do not have alot of money to spend. I also want to be healthy but cannot afford alot of fancy diet food.. So what items would you put on my list?

Need help!

Lets say my budget is about 50-100 dollars for food.

Fancy diet food is usually just low calorie crap with little nutritional value anyway. Brown rice, dried beans, frozen vegetables/fruits and low carb wraps are usually affordable. Pick up fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and lean meats that are on sale. Stock up on canned tuna when it's on sale. It's a great low calorie source of healthy fat and protein (and goes nicely in the wraps). Clip coupons!
  • PORRIDGE! :) Oh so cheap, filling and full of energy, but looowww in calories, and can be very quick to prepare too. I would also definitely recommend doubling up meals and taking one to work/school/your dining table for lunch the next day. Also remember that you don't have to go mad on the number of expensive fruit and veg you get - one apple and an orange/pear everyday as a snack with a few spoonfuls of greek yoghurt makes a great snack, and if you combine that with whatever veg is in your dinner then you'll easily get loads of good food!
    Also, I like to set us "round the world" menus - one night we'll have Italian pasta, then Indian, then Chinese, then American(esque) burgers, then Italian Pizza, then some English comfort food.. Whatever we fancy! But always make sure its around 400 cals :)
    x
  • Bigaug
    Bigaug Posts: 395 Member
    The fancier the store the more expensive it is. I buy a few certain items at the Giant Eagle, premium store, but I buy most of our groceries at Aldi, a discount grocer. Look for farmers markets too, I go to one every other weekend, $20 at the farmers market is equal to about $50-60 at the premium store.

Fresh vegetables. A bag of apples/onions/limes/oranges/potatoes etc... is much cheaper in the long run than individual pieces. Chicken. Pork gets a bum rap but pork loin is very very lean. Look for frozen meats, I buy frozen ground turkey for $1.49 per lbs versus fresh for $4.00per lbs. Fresh fruit gets expensive, because it doesn't keep all that long, but you can find good sales pretty regularly. Winter squash is wonderful and it goes a long way. Rice and beans are high in carbs but low in calories and CHEAP.

Also, the more processed it is, the more expensive it is. Example, boneless skinless chicken breast is generally $2.50 per lbs, whereas a whole chicken is usually $0.80 per lbs. If you roast a whole chicken then strip the meat from it you have enough precooked chicken for a week if you use it wisely. If you are worried about the extra fat on a whole chicken just remove the skin.
  • Nos150
    Nos150 Posts: 150
    Walk around the outs side of the store first. This is your more 'pure' foods.

More times then not anything in the Isles are processed and have a whole bunch of hidden things that you have to watch out for. If you have to go down these isles then check two things. The label/ nutrient information. And look around to see if there is a generic brand. (Like soup you can buy a can of chambels at 2 dollars or you can buy No name for 0.98)

buy things that you can use multiple times with multiple things (rice pasta) granted these are not the most healthy but they help to keep you full longer when eaten in right portions. (You also get a lot of bang for your buck)

Try switching over to oat meal, oat bran, cream of wheat or red river cereals (hot cereal) rather then cold cereals. They are better for you and fill you longer.

Canned fruits and vegetable still count as fruits and vegetables (wash the juices off!) you can also get great deals if you watch fliers

Coupons! You don’t have to extreme but if you can save any amount of money then you are ahead that much more!