Obesity and being beautiful. Same thing or not?

Replies

• Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    eye roll.

I don't agree that "everyone" is beautiful. Also, I don't think body composition is the only thing that impacts your level of beauty, imho, actions have a huge impact on whether you're beautiful.

But c'mon.....physical attractiveness is not present in all humans. It's just a fact. Sorry.

I have to agree with you, Not EVERY human being on this planet is physically beautiful, and thank you for being honest.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Beauty is def in the eye of the beholder - but for me beauty and health go hand and hand - and just like somewhat very underweight, I dont think obese people are generally beautiful to me - as obseity is a sign you are unhealthy and dont respect your body just is aneroxia - so sorry no it is not something I consider attractive... I have never being attracted to an obese person, as i never have been attracted physically to a smoker, junkie or anorexic

I agree with an earlier post - would you say a smoking is beautiful ??? Generally no right cause they are abusing their bodies just as obese people are...

but that is just what I find attractive - everyone is different of course
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    how rude. its funny that the one person on here that is talking about how not everyone is beautiful....is not the most attractive person either lol
    This response is ugly.
  • I am a smoker and I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!
  • missimperfect
    missimperfect Posts: 66 Member
    I believe that everyone has the ability to be beautiful. I can see a stunningly beautiful person on the outside..but if they are nasty and mean than to me they aren't beautiful at all.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can find the beauty in everyone, inside or outter beauty, to me it doesn't matter. I'd prefer inside beauty over outter beauty if I had a choice.

As for those pictures on tumblr, yes, those people are beautiful, everyone is beautiful. But, no, it is not healthy.

With a BMI over 50...I know what its like. I do not think I am beautiful, hell, I know I'm not beautiful. I cannot see the inside beauty and I believe the outter just doesn't exist.. I have terrible self esteem. I weigh 275 and I stand at just 5'1. I am working on improving myself physically and mentally so that maybe one day I can just see the inner beauty. Because..for now that is all I have the strength to look for.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    I believe that everyone has the ability to be beautiful. I can see a stunningly beautiful person on the outside..but if they are nasty and mean than to me they aren't beautiful at all.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I can find the beauty in everyone, inside or outter beauty, to me it doesn't matter. I'd prefer inside beauty over outter beauty if I had a choice.

As for those pictures on tumblr, yes, those people are beautiful, everyone is beautiful. But, no, it is not healthy.

With a BMI over 50...I know what its like. I do not think I am beautiful, hell, I know I'm not beautiful. I cannot see the inside beauty and I believe the outter just doesn't exist.. I have terrible self esteem. I weigh 275 and I stand at just 5'1. I am working on improving myself physically and mentally so that maybe one day I can just see the inner beauty. Because..for now that is all I have the strength to look for.

You'll get there, just be determined and don't give up on yourself :)
  • mrmanmeat
    I think if obesity and beauty had anything to do with each other websites like myfitnesspal would be nonexistent. 80 pounds prior to how I am now I remember rationalizing it by saying things like "I am just a bigger guy" or "I like how I look, it doesn't matter what other people think"...

I feel a million times better about myself now. Obesity is not beautiful, its one of the leading causes of death in this country...

I agree, I was the same way. I knew I was "a little out of shape" but I didn't realize how far I was. Just like most people don't.

It's like those who are offended when your doctor says you're obese. Grow up, grow a pair and get the weight off.
  • mrmanmeat
    I promote minding your own business if the body doesn't personally belong to you, frankly.

Eh, no. because some people will rationalize being obese as ok, where they need people who know it's not ok to kick them into gear.
  • I dont feel beautiful while I am obese. I dont like looking in the mirror... I hope to love myself someday. Weight definitely makes a big difference on the way I feel about myself. Not sure if that is what you meant. On the other hand, I think weight doesnt make or break someones beauty. Just my own. :frown:
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 471 Member
    I promote minding your own business if the body doesn't personally belong to you, frankly.

*like* :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    It depends. I look way uglier fat than I do skinny, but some people are the opposite. It has to do with proportions and just the way you are built.

Oh, and no, not everyone is beautiful nor can everyone be. Just a fact of life.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    I am morbidly obese. I am also sexy and beautiful. As a dear guy friend loves to point out, both of those things are not a number on a scale, they come from inside. I will be beautiful no matter what I weigh. I hope I don't sound full of myself, I'm not at all, I am just very confident in who I am.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    everyone is beautiful.
    I do not think I am beautiful, hell, I know I'm not beautiful.

Take a closer look at statement 1. It applies to you too. :flowerforyou:
  • pussycat626
    pussycat626 Posts: 129 Member
    why can't we just find an overweight or obese person attractive and not look at the "unhealthy" aspect? Why can't it just be "There is a beautiful woman" or "a handsome man"? Why does it have to be dissected and made into something negative?
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I think there are a lot of assumptions made. If you are overweight you are unhealthy? Not necessarily. I have met lots of people that were a " perfect" weight and were diabetics or had heart problems, or we went for a walk and they had to sit down after an hour... And what is a perfect weight? I think that Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, so is Queen Latvia . I'm not here because I don't feel beautiful, I'm here because my knees are a lot happier when I am under a certain weight and no my cholesterol is fine, no diabetes and no heart problems. I eat mostly healthy, just a little to much
    And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder and no not everyone looks beautiful to ME, but that has less to do with weight and more with their features, their attitude and their compassion for their fellow humans which when I look over this thread could be improved on . Just my opinion:)
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Not every obese person is unhealthy. I started my weight loss journey weighing 454 pounds. I did not have one health problem, My cholesterol was 127, my BP was 120/70, no sugar/diabetes, no sleep apnea none of the issues you would expect. I was very active, scuba dive, boating, swimming, playing volleyball etc. Granted I was lucky and who knows what would have happened as I got older but it was when my weight started to interfere with some of my everyday activities that I did and with my diving I decided to make some changes. My point is an overweight person can be beautiful and healthy.
  • timmy2strikes
    timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
    I've seen some large women and men who are very attractive and beautiful but then they lose a lot of weight and lose alot of their beauty for some reason. I think Star Jones was absolutely beautiful when she was bigger and now looks awful. Some people just look better bigger.

You also have to seperate Health and Beauty. Being healthy does not make you beautiful.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member

Eh, no. because some people will rationalize being obese as ok, where they need people who know it's not ok to kick them into gear.

And of course, telling people this has obviously always been incredibly effective as a strategy to promote wellbeing amongst overweight individuals.

Oh.....
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Come on, stop with the PC crap, not everyone is beautiful, in a physically attractive way, of course that does not mean they are not a beautiful person. And yes “most” people look more beautiful at a healthy weight, than they do at either extreme, it’s a fact live with it. And although I like cleavage as much as the next man, really? Here? Is that appropriate? Makes a person wonder if they are compensating for something, just saying.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member

Yes, and it must be done in the right spirit - not out of pure meanness. I know tough love is what you are talking about, but there is a right and wrong time.
    I feel terrible for every fat person I see lumbering along.

And they must reach that point where enough is enough.
    That's when it's ok to offer advice, because maybe they're asking and you know they're ready.