Losing weight too fast?

Hi there,

Does anyone know of any long-term drawbacks to losing weight more rapidly than 2 lbs. a week - provided one is doing so in a healthy manner? I'm eating my recommended daily intake of calories (around 1300), and, rather than losing one pound per week, I have lost 8 pounds in one week.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thrilled with the results, obviously, but concerned that perhaps I'm not getting enough calories. The BMR isn't an exact science -- for example, how do I know if i'm moderately active or very active? I live in a city and don't own a car, so I am constantly walking, running up stairs (esclators never turned on in Toronto the Poor), etc. I try to log it all, but perhaps I am underestimating my level of activity?

Replies

• filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Hi there,

Does anyone know of any long-term drawbacks to losing weight more rapidly than 2 lbs. a week - provided one is doing so in a healthy manner? I'm eating my recommended daily intake of calories (around 1300), and, rather than losing one pound per week, I have lost 8 pounds in one week.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thrilled with the results, obviously, but concerned that perhaps I'm not getting enough calories. The BMR isn't an exact science -- for example, how do I know if i'm moderately active or very active? I live in a city and don't own a car, so I am constantly walking, running up stairs (esclators never turned on in Toronto the Poor), etc. I try to log it all, but perhaps I am underestimating my level of activity?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    The weight can come off really fast in the first few weeks. This should calm down, and if it doesn't, you probably need to up your calories.

I also live in TO, and the other day wore my pedometer on what I thought was a normal day. I TTC commute and lecture teach. After going to work, teaching two lectures and coming back home, I had logged 12,000 steps, which I think is about five miles. So, I changed from the lowest activity setting to the next one up.
  • finkkm
    finkkm Posts: 27 Member
    I have the same situation, I've lost 4 lbs. in the last 4 days. I'm not complaining, but I also don't think that it will last longer than 2 weeks.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    I think its more a matter of total percentage of body weight lost. If you weighed 115 and lost 8 pounds in a week that would be significant, but if you weigh 300 and lose 8 - not so significant. The weight does come off faster in the beginning.You should see what happens this week and then adjust.
    I notice on The Biggest Loser that the larger people lose alot more in the beginning that the smaller people. One guy lost 31 pounds ( I think) during the first week - yikes!!

I didnt know what to put for my activity level either! I figured since I didn't participate in any regular exercise program, or dance classes ect that I was low. Anyone have any addt'l infor on how to calculate that ?
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Toronto the Poor lol!! Sorry to hi-jack, but this is Nova Scotia speaking. :)
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    be pleased with your results but you will not continue to lose 8 lbs a week. why don't you share your meals and exercise with us?
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Perhaps I should have said, "Toronto the Mismanaged."