Wine and Weight Loss

Options
teetsel4
teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
:drinker: Cheers everyone!

Ok, here's the issue: I love wine. I drink it every night, only a glass or two. I eat healthy, I eat my BMR and never go over, I excercise three times a week. I have not lost any weight. I always factor the calories in of the wine I drink. I have gone with out and the scale moves, I will loose weight. If I drink more than one galss, I either gain or maintain (usually gain). So it seems pretty obvious to me that I can not drink wine and loose weight. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts?

Maybe switch to beer? LOL:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• teetsel4
    Options
    :drinker: Cheers everyone!

Ok, here's the issue: I love wine. I drink it every night, only a glass or two. I eat healthy, I eat my BMR and never go over, I excercise three times a week. I have not lost any weight. I always factor the calories in of the wine I drink. I have gone with out and the scale moves, I will loose weight. If I drink more than one galss, I either gain or maintain (usually gain). So it seems pretty obvious to me that I can not drink wine and loose weight. Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts?

Maybe switch to beer? LOL:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I drink wine occasionally, and have been able to lose weight while drinking it. Can you drink every other night and see how that works? Are you drinking small glasses or big goblets full (and underestimating your calories)?

Good luck!! :drinker:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Hi teetsel4,

Just a thought but are you measuring yourself? And do you check your %body fat?

I went out on the lash last weekend and drank loads of beer and suprise suprise i gained but only 2 lbs.

You seem to be doing everything right, and it is recomended to have a glass and a half of wine everynight.

I dunno, i'm sure someone will have the answer

Al
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    It may depend on the type of wine you drink. Red is more apt to be absorbed quicker by your body than white because the latter has more sugars than red. What kind of wines do you drink red, white or rose?

My wife and I drink wine as well but stick with the reds rather than the whites. White wine has more sugars. We also drink hard liquor either straight or with a diet mix and have managed to still keep the weight off or on the drop.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Just food for thought (or wine, in this case) alcohol of ANY form factually slows your metabolism. I don't think anyone can refute that. If it is the health benefits you seek from wine, Concord grape juice has been found to be just as beneficial. Hope that helps.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    It may depend on the type of wine you drink. Red is more apt to be absorbed quicker by your body than white because the latter has more sugars than red. What kind of wines do you drink red, white or rose?

My wife and I drink wine as well but stick with the reds rather than the whites. White wine has more sugars. We also drink hard liquor either straight or with a diet mix and have managed to still keep the weight off or on the drop.

Ohh, red wine was what i had in mind when writing my comment
  • teetsel4
    Options
    I drink only red, I live in wine country so it is litterally all around me! I am goingt o drink just one glass or every other night, maybe even limit it to the weekends until I reach my goal. I think from the past of doing fad diets (like Adkins) I have jacked up my metabolism so bad that anything with sugar sends my body into a some weird mode.

Anyhow, thanks for your imput. Love this site!
  • RunningRatty
    Options
    When I started in January I started limiting my glass or two of wine to the weekend and it seemed to make a difference - and alos I enjoyed my wine all the more when I had to wait!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I really like red wine - but I think I'm going to have to try the hard liquor - straight - like rheston - too funny... :laugh:
  • ascanlan
    ascanlan Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    My husband is in the wine biz so i am surrounded too but i have found that the only way i can lose weight is by not drinking at all during the week. only a glass or two on the weekends. if i really want a drink during the week i actually find that vodka over ice never seems to put on as much weight.
    good luck either way/
    a
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am like ascalan, I limit my intake of wine (pretty much the only kind of alcohol I drink) to 1 glass a weekend. If I partake on a nightly basis, i pack on the pounds.... This was difficult for me, since I come from an Italian-American family (I am 3rd gen) and there is always wine at dinner (and lunch too if we don't work)

Best of luck finding your balance!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Drinking more than 2 alcoholic beverages per day and drinking everyday can release and enzyme that prevents the breakdown of fat.

Ihave been told by a doctor if you like to drink one or two per day to do it every other day and it wont slow the fat burning process as much
  • scostello24
    scostello24 Posts: 126
    Options
    Okay so heres a question....My fiance is having his 30th birthday and I will have NO BABY!!! I want to catch a good buzz so that I remeber why I dont drink anymore..lol. I dont ever drink but when I do, I drink until I get the spins:glasses: What do you guys recomend? Oh and I dont do straight liquor or wine...ugh:sick:
    I was thinking vodka and crystal light????
  • destilynne
    Options
    Hello there,

I too love my wine, I drink 2 glasses a day in the early evening. i am eating 1200 calories a day and the wine calories are about 150 calories a wine...which is a part if my daily calories intake. If you want a good buzz with less glasses to drink , look for a wine the has 13.5 % of alochol. Good buzz two glasses only. I eat 5 small meals a day. putting my wine intake around 5-6pm none after that. I space my meals out every 21/2 hours a part., this keeps the metabolism moving. :smile:

Desti
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Okay so heres a question....My fiance is having his 30th birthday and I will have NO BABY!!! I want to catch a good buzz so that I remeber why I dont drink anymore..lol. I dont ever drink but when I do, I drink until I get the spins:glasses: What do you guys recomend? Oh and I dont do straight liquor or wine...ugh:sick:
    I was thinking vodka and crystal light????

Ohhh, vodka and crystal light sounds yummy!! Also - using that reduced sugar cranberry juice as a mixer would be good too. Good luck and have FUN!!!
  • scostello24
    Options
    Thanks MontanaGirl....I am going to do my best to enjoy this much needed break from reality...
  • scostello24
    Options
    Thanks MontanaGirl....I am going to do my best to enjoy this much needed break from reality...
  • wobblybum
    wobblybum Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this question - my husband and I own a restaurant so I can and do get wine whenever I want but have been brought up drinking it too - I was drinking wine (2-3 glasses almost every night) and my weight loss did slow down so now I only have it on Saturday evenings and mid-week if we go out! I really crave it in the evenings whilst but I make a fruit tea instead - boring but it has to be done! Thanks for this great question and great answers and info too!!
  • Mtscruffy
    Mtscruffy Posts: 28
    Options
    This is a great topic. I love wine also. I have made a decision to drink it only on the weekends and perhaps one night during the week. I have noticed that when I drink I want to eat more - which is the main reason I'm trying to deter my weekday wine drinking. :drinker:
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    Here's food for thought. A study was done that showed when people drink it affects their workout the next day. They usually skip it altogether, or work out with much less intenisty than normal. After reading this I stopped drinking nights before a workout and guess what? I burn about 200 cals more on my workouts now than I used to. That's incentive for me to limit my drinks!