UFOs?

Unwanted Flying Objects (body parts. I thought the subject might get some attention:laugh:
I decided to run for a bit when I went for a walk. Yes, body parts were flying around that I did not want to be flying around. And I felt like a dork. I'm not a runner and so I think I look like a dork when I run, especially since I am pushing a 35+ pound stroller (kid included) and it's not a jogging stroller, so it's awkward. So when people would come into view I would stop jogging. I make it sound like I was jogging for awhile. Try 90 seconds! I could BARELY make it 90 SECONDS! I would like to run because I admire people that run, but I feel like a dork (and possibly look like one) and I can't hold out very long. Anyone else a beginning runner? Any veterans have any tips? I want to be one of those runners that when people look at me they say, "Wow. Look at her! She's in great shape!" Okay so I don't have to be a runner to want people to say that. :tongue: I have a friend stationed in Italy that's going to run a full marathon soon. I don't necessarily want to do that but I want to be able to run for thirty minutes (or even two minutes) without feeling like I am going to die. So any tips or encouragement is appreciated!

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Unwanted Flying Objects (body parts. I thought the subject might get some attention:laugh:
    I decided to run for a bit when I went for a walk. Yes, body parts were flying around that I did not want to be flying around. And I felt like a dork. I'm not a runner and so I think I look like a dork when I run, especially since I am pushing a 35+ pound stroller (kid included) and it's not a jogging stroller, so it's awkward. So when people would come into view I would stop jogging. I make it sound like I was jogging for awhile. Try 90 seconds! I could BARELY make it 90 SECONDS! I would like to run because I admire people that run, but I feel like a dork (and possibly look like one) and I can't hold out very long. Anyone else a beginning runner? Any veterans have any tips? I want to be one of those runners that when people look at me they say, "Wow. Look at her! She's in great shape!" Okay so I don't have to be a runner to want people to say that. :tongue: I have a friend stationed in Italy that's going to run a full marathon soon. I don't necessarily want to do that but I want to be able to run for thirty minutes (or even two minutes) without feeling like I am going to die. So any tips or encouragement is appreciated!
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    I'm the exact same way. I don't run outside because I've got asthma and it just doesn't usually work out too well for me.. but I run on the tread mill.. well.. I try. What I've been doing is walking mostly and then throwing some sections in where i jog for as long as I can and then go back to walking and if i feel like i can do it again, i do, if not, I don't.. but that seems to work really well for me... because everytime i do it, I can do it longer! I'm actually up to 4 minutes now!

I would try that.. it's workin for me anyway! :smokin:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Hahaha, you sound like me, sometimes when I'm out for my walk I'll give it a go - for about ten steps lol!! I'm also pushing my big ol stroller (also not a jogging stroller) then I'll stop, look around, just to make sure noone's laughing! Plus my entire family says I run funny, supposedly I kick myself in the rear as I'm running. My hubby thinks I do it to get a laugh, but no that's really how I run. Oh well, my whole neighbourhood'll soon be laughing once all the snow melts.I'm diggin out the rollerskates (yes, I said skates!) and am sure to look like a dork then!!!
  • mechanicmom
    peejbp,
    I'm glad I'm not alone! I should probably get out my roller blades. I was working some muscle that way, but they don't allow skates or bikes or anything in the park. The sidewalks around here aren't that smooth either. But it's good exercise!
    TOTHE LOVE, I'll try to keep it up. It's encouraging that you've increased to 4 minutes. How long have you been doing it? I'l try to get passed the embarrassment and see how far I can get!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I was able to run for about 30 minutes straight... don't ask me how but I did.
    It's kinda difficult for me since I have asthma.
    I'm not a runner either but you have to push yourself further and further.
    Make mini goals each time you go out running.

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • karilynn
    karilynn Posts: 87
    hi, i have begun to run also...i'm doing a learn to run program....i never thought i would ever be able to run, but it's working. it's learn to run in 10 wks, but i'm doing it in 20 wks, taking 2 wks at each level instead of 1.

here it is .. follow this weekly schedule 3 days a wk for a 2 month period (4 months for me)

week 1 - brisk 5 min warm-up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 sec. of walking for a total of 20 minutes

week 2- brisk 5 min warm up walk, then alternate 90 sec of jogging and 2 min of walking for a total of 20 minutes

week 3- brisk 5 min walk, then do 2 repetioions of the following:
    - jog 90 sec (200 yards)
    - walk 90 sec
    - jog 3 minutes ( 400 yards)
    - walk 3 minutes

week 4 brisk 5 min walk
    - jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    - jog 5 min
    - walk 2.5 min
    -jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    jog 5 min

i've run out of space, let me know if you need the rest..or find it on www.wikihow.com/begin-running
  • Healthier_Me
    hi, i have begun to run also...i'm doing a learn to run program....i never thought i would ever be able to run, but it's working. it's learn to run in 10 wks, but i'm doing it in 20 wks, taking 2 wks at each level instead of 1.

here it is .. follow this weekly schedule 3 days a wk for a 2 month period (4 months for me)

week 1 - brisk 5 min warm-up walk, then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 sec. of walking for a total of 20 minutes

week 2- brisk 5 min warm up walk, then alternate 90 sec of jogging and 2 min of walking for a total of 20 minutes

- jog 90 sec (200 yards)
    - walk 90 sec
    - walk 3 minutes

week 4 brisk 5 min walk
    - jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    - jog 5 min
    - walk 2.5 min
    -jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    jog 5 min

i've run out of space, let me know if you need the rest..or find it on www.wikihow.com/begin-running
    Thanks so much for this info karilynn!

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    another thing to remember is this. Running is an actual sport which takes a certain amount of technique. I was fortunate in my formative years as I was on the track team and was taught how to run correctly, including stride, arm positioning, breathing techniques. These can have a tremendous difference on how much you get out of a run. Correct form can increase the muscle work, and decrease stress on your back and spine. On the other side, bad form can be very bad on the knees, shins, lower back muscles, and your lower spine.

here is a good site to help you find some form. It's not hard, but it takes 1 or 2 trys to get the basics down.

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-267-268-0,00.html
  • Healthier_Me
    another thing to remember is this. Running is an actual sport which takes a certain amount of technique. I was fortunate in my formative years as I was on the track team and was taught how to run correctly, including stride, arm positioning, breathing techniques. These can have a tremendous difference on how much you get out of a run. Correct form can increase the muscle work, and decrease stress on your back and spine. On the other side, bad form can be very bad on the knees, shins, lower back muscles, and your lower spine.

here is a good site to help you find some form. It's not hard, but it takes 1 or 2 trys to get the basics down.

http://www.runnersworld.com/subtopic/0,7123,s6-238-267-268-0,00.html
    Thanks Mista!:happy:

• c-grandma
    c-grandma Posts: 73
    Buy a good sports bra, and remember to warm up and stretch. I'm 54 and just started alternating running and brisk running. I love it ,and it's a good cardio exercise. Keep it up, no matter how you think you look. It's worth it! Chris.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Here is the thread I was looking for! lol
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    u need a more private place. If you live near a highschool, walk over after hours. Try for around 8, practices will be done by then, and the track will be empty. There is usually nobody at the one I go to but even when there is, it's just others doing the same thing I'm doing. it's quiet, and very private.
  • mechanicmom
    Thanks for the website Banks!
    Kerrilucko, it just donned on me the other day that there's a track behind the middle school that's across the street! I don't know why I didn't think about running out there before! I usually work out in the mornings and push my son in the stroller, but now that it's lighter in the evenings maybe my hubby can watch him and I can go over there and run! Thanks for the idea!
    chrisesparza, I actually don't have too much much of a problem with the front. It's in the rear. :laugh: I guess toning up will be the only thing that helps with that!
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Melissa
  • karilynn
    thanks banks!! i checked out the website, and got some good pointers!! :flowerforyou:
  • karilynn
    no problem...i hve asthma too joanna...this seems to work though!

- jog 90 sec (200 yards)
    - walk 90 sec
    - walk 3 minutes

week 4 brisk 5 min walk
    - jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    - jog 5 min
    - walk 2.5 min
    -jog 3 min
    - walk 90 sec
    jog 5 min

Thanks so much for this info karilynn!