Hey, pear-shaped women...

Replies

• I'm a pear-shaped too but I was able to "change" it a bit by doing heavier weight lifting on upper body while lighter weights on the lower body. Honestly cardio doesn't do anything to sculpt your body so weight training is the best answer.
  • mochalovies
    mochalovies Posts: 192 Member
    aww yea -- I feel that I have the top of a teenage male and godzilla tights, thank goodness for Victoria's Secret
    (someday will get me some boobies!) :tongue: -- we loose fat last from where we store them first as predisposed by genetics... so you will not really see a lot of change in your lower body until you lose from arms, face, tummy etc. >.< weight lifting has also been the answer for me. Big booty, toned godzilla thighs topped with sexy arms and abs that are ridiculously easy to achieve so why not milk it! :drinker:
  • Stepmom1
    Stepmom1 Posts: 155 Member
    How about of instead of loosing weight to do exercises that tone your lower body?

Squats
    Lunges (forward and back)
    Side Lunges
    Sumo Squats

I would add light to medium weight dumbells to add resistance to the moves and make you burn more on the lower half of your body. Give it a try.

Do 15 reps of each exercise. When doing lunges do 15 reps on each side.

Good luck!

Maria
  • karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 496 Member
    I have the same problem. Ive lost a lot of weight from the top, my waist is so much smaller, collar bones are showing, even a little rib, but my hips and thighs haven't gotten the memo. I'm a 4/6 on top and a 8/10 on bottom now (started as a 10 on top, 12 on bottom).

I am doing pilates (reformer and mat), and while my measurements on the bottom haven't changed much the compositions has... fat off the sides of the hips were replaced with some muscle in the bum. I can also feel the muscles in the legs leaning out, so when the fat finally gets the message, they'll be toned and ready.

In the meantime I'm just a big bottomed girl I suppose. And hearing people evening out makes me feel better, us pears need to stick together.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Yes, I have this same problem. I even hired a personal trainer to help me with this because I thought it was cheaper, healthier and less painful than liposuction.

I did hundreds of squats, lunges and those (*&^ kettle bell swings. Although I did see a difference in the way my bottom was shaped, the "saddle bags" are still there. This fat is not going to come off unless I go into the dangerous zone of body weight of around 89 lbs. I am not willing to do that.

I will state that I am 43 years old and it is much harder to take that fat off as a person grows older.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I lost almost 30 pounds total. I saw the most dramatic drop in my hips/thighs during the last 10 pounds. For a while I was getting quite small up top and thought my pear shape would be even more exaggerated, but it evened out a bit. Also, strength training really helped out in the thighs (I do pilates 2x week).
  • I know exactly what you mean. My husband (even though I have only lost 20 pounds) says he can feel my ribs. I would say to do more lower body workouts. I love the elliptical because I can hang on to the handles while I work my hips, butt and legs. Maybe even add in strength training for your legs too. This is what i have been doing and I have been evening out at a better pace. Hope this helps.
    Big hugs,
    Rebekah
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    I'm a pear-shaped too but I was able to "change" it a bit by doing heavier weight lifting on upper body while lighter weights on the lower body. Honestly cardio doesn't do anything to sculpt your body so weight training is the best answer.

give this girl a cigar!!!!

btw, OP, if you aren't doing deadlifts, please start. they are awesome. also, let me introduce you to staci: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    How about of instead of loosing weight to do exercises that tone your lower body?

Squats
    Lunges (forward and back)
    Side Lunges
    Sumo Squats

I would add light to medium weight dumbells to add resistance to the moves and make you burn more on the lower half of your body. Give it a try.

Do 15 reps of each exercise. When doing lunges do 15 reps on each side.

Good luck!

Maria

Thank you Maria! This those help a lot. I started doing sumo squats.lunges,squats with weights and my lower half( trouble area) seems to be more toned
  • I started to even out some when I got close to my goal. I do a lot of strength training, but I'm still eating at a deficit, so until I get to my goal I'm not going to build any muscle. Then I will switch to eating a small surplus and working harder on strength to shape my body, HOPEFULLY. My arms are super thin, even though they are strong, and my ribs also show. But, my upper thighs still rub together. And omg, saddlebags. lol.

Here's a pic of me in my usually housewife gettup. :laugh: (Really, it's 80's week at the fitness studio.) But you can see, my bottom half is just not cooperating!

Gaither-20120118-00166.jpg
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310

btw, OP, if you aren't doing deadlifts, please start. they are awesome. also, let me introduce you to staci: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

i will check it out! i have done deadlifts in the past but don't really feel much when doing them... am i not using enough weight? i currently only have 3 and 5 lb hand weights at home.
  • Dammitviv
    Dammitviv Posts: 117
    I incorporated running into my workout and once I added Pilates/Yoga into the workout as well, I saw more changes in my hip/thigh area. I highly recommend Pilates. Seriously, nothing changed my body more or made it look more lean.

Do you have a Pilates/Yoga video that you recommend? I prefer to do workouts at home as I don't have a gym membership. I have an old pilates video from years ago when the trend became more popular, and I hated it! So maybe there's something newer and more fun! I'm definitely open to suggestions. :) Has anyone tried the P90X yoga? My bf has the videos that I could borrow if it would be worth it.

If you have a netflix (or other streaming account) check there. I have found a couple good yoga programs on netflix, and it doesn't cost any extra.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Winsor Pilates changed my life!
  • Me Too ME too... I am very Boney and do not want any more weight loss off my top.. So I am target training now.. I just ordered the butt bible (after seeing someone's results from the backside in just the first 3 weeks) and I also do Jillian the 30 day shred and biggest loser workouts.. I think you just have to take your focus off the scale now and specifically do workouts that target the lower body! And just an F.Y.I I have been running 5-6 miles several days a week for almost 3 years, and it slimmed down my lower legs immensly and the front of my thighs look very muscular, BUT it has done nothing for the jiggle on the back of my thighs or my inner thighs and rear end.. So Running will not fix it all, I am not trying to discourage you its great cardio, But Your Jillian workouts will give you more of the results you are looking for.. I have now backed off my long runs and I do a 30 minute jillian workout and then a 20 or 30 minute run.. I am starting to see Positive changes .. Hope this helps you! I am going to add you as a friend so I you can follow my resuts with the 6 week Butt bible program.. It was only 18 on amazon and if it changes my lower body the way it did for the other person on here I saw, IT may be worth the investment : )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I lost almost 30 pounds total. I saw the most dramatic drop in my hips/thighs during the last 10 pounds. For a while I was getting quite small up top and thought my pear shape would be even more exaggerated, but it evened out a bit. Also, strength training really helped out in the thighs (I do pilates 2x week).

Wow! I envy you. For some of us the "thunder thighs" look never goes away. I've been 156 lbs & 106 lbs - fat legs at both extremes (I'm 5'5"). Yes, I do pilates - does great things for my core, not so much for my lower half.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    I had this problem. My doctor told me when you carry your weight on your bottom half you need to watch your fat. since doing so a lot has changed.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    I have Netflix, but in Canada... I don't actually think there are any workout videos on there, but I'll take a look.

I think I have a Winsor pilates video... maybe i'll dust it off and try again. Its from about 10 years ago, but I'm sure they idea is still the same! :)

And JLove2Zumba - thanks for the honesty and advice! I'll keep up the Jillian workouts, mostly because I love a good butt-whooping! And this afternoon i'll try my first walk/jog in a long time. :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yes, I have this same problem. I even hired a personal trainer to help me with this because I thought it was cheaper, healthier and less painful than liposuction.

I did hundreds of squats, lunges and those (*&^ kettle bell swings. Although I did see a difference in the way my bottom was shaped, the "saddle bags" are still there. This fat is not going to come off unless I go into the dangerous zone of body weight of around 89 lbs. I am not willing to do that.

I will state that I am 43 years old and it is much harder to take that fat off as a person grows older.

^^This! Some women will ALWAYS be pear shaped, just like some women will always be busty. All we can do is give it our best shot. Some people will never have a perfect body. It's really hard maintaining a weight loss when your goal is ...."not as fat as I used to be." I just keep telling myself, it's all about my HEALTH.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member

i will check it out! i have done deadlifts in the past but don't really feel much when doing them... am i not using enough weight? i currently only have 3 and 5 lb hand weights at home.

Get a set of kettle bells. Very versatile weights. Get a set of one if each of 10-15-20-30 Lbs.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    I have the same problem -- you can't really target weight loss, unfortunately. You can start doing exercises to help tone fat and excess weight on your legs, and you'll see some inch loss. But that's really all you can do :(. I feel your pain! I'm the exact same way: 26'' waist and 39'' hips. Sigh.