Protein snacks (non-dairy)

ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
I'm going to start the process of cutting out dairy. I was dairy-free when my kids were babies and I noticed a dramatic change in my health, but I like cheese so I went back to dairy, and the health problems came back with it.

I try to shoot for over 100g of protein a day, and around 90-100g of carbs a day -- more protein and fewer carbs makes me feel much better and seems to help me manage my depression, so it's non-negotiable. I've been using dairy to increase my protein (cheese on my eggs, cottage cheese on my salads, etc.), so cutting it out will impact that protein number. I'm looking for easy sources of protein that won't also come with a lot of carbs -- like I know beans have good protein, but they also have a lot of carbs, so it will throw my balance off. So besides hard-boiled eggs and tuna, can anybody help with quick, easy sources of protein that I could use for snacks? Something that I could keep in the fridge, even if I have to make it ahead of time? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Edemame is the perfect low carb high protein snack! Plus its easy and fun to peel out of the pod! ( i like to play with my food)

Also i just picked up some hemp protein powder which is easy to mix into smoothies and juice!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    I use protein powder to make shakes every day for breakfast. Sometimes I also have one for a snack in the afternoon. I also keep roasted chicken or turkey breast in the house as they have a lot of protein too. I need to cut back on the dairy too because of the tummy issues they cause. The protein powder I use is a 100% whey isolate powder(Jay Robb) and it does not cause digestive upset like other brands that use different kinds of whey protein.
  • ajbeans
    I hadn't thought about edamame. Thanks!

I'll look into the hemp and whey isolate powders. All I can get locally is a cheap dairy-based protein powder and it's not very tasty, so I don't buy it. :laugh:
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    I use nuts
    Seeds (both in moderatiom )
    Whole grains...Quinoq,ww couscus
    Legumes besides beans / lentils..&
    GREENS,GREENS GREENS :flowerforyou:
  • ajbeans
    Greens? What kind of greens? All the green stuff I'm used to is pretty void of protein.

ETA: I did Google it, and I came up with articles on green fluorescent protein and green smoothies made with protein powder. Pretty sure that's not what you're talking about. :)
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    I just got some hemp protein powder at my local Vitamin Shoppe. Where are you that you don't have anything else available? I have lived in the middle of nowhere before myself. Glad not to be there right now!
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    Quinoa is great, also sprouted mung beans are loaded with protein. Get some baked tofu and nibble on it like you would string cheese. Hope that helps!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Ham - low cal high protein. Get the thin sliced stuff and chomp on it!
  • ajbeans
    Quinoa is great, also sprouted mung beans are loaded with protein. Get some baked tofu and nibble on it like you would string cheese. Hope that helps!

I have never been able to find a way to prepare tofu that I liked. But you're right, it is a good protein source. I'm going to look up some recipes.
  • ajbeans
    I just got some hemp protein powder at my local Vitamin Shoppe. Where are you that you don't have anything else available? I have lived in the middle of nowhere before myself. Glad not to be there right now!

I live in the middle of nowhere. :-P I might be able to find something at WalMart, but that's a pretty far trip and they may not have what I need anyway, so I'll probably end up buying some online.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Almond milk is good alternative to normal milk, although not so nice in tea/coffee. I love making smoothies with it. Chai seeds, is a superfood and extremely high in protein. Soak chai seeds in almond milk for the ultimate fix (i also add some chopped fruit otherwise it can be bland.
    Spirulina is also high in protein. I have 5 before each meal. It also acts as a bit of an appetite suppressant.

Sprouts, sprouts and more sprouts! Gotta love your sprouts!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    You can buy protein powder online. I order mine through Amazon.com. It's cheaper than the stores.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Beef jerky
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Eggs and beef jerkey. Most protein powder is dairy based except I guess soy or hemp.
  • langababy
    langababy Posts: 43 Member
    Peanut butter. I eat it straight off the spoon :)
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    I cannot eat dairy either, so I use eggs, and I make sure that I eat meat at least once a day. If I'm lacking, I'll put half a can of tuna (low sodium in water) in with my salad for lunch.
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    I just made these over the weekend and they turned out really good:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/video-jamie-eason-turkey-meatloaf-muffins.htm?CJAID=10409402&CJPID=3872207

sounds sort of gross..."meatloaf muffin"....but it's a great high protien snack that is easy to grab and heat up in the microwave. I did add a bit of cheese. also I used lean ground chicken instead of turkey.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Chicken and turkey. I bake several chicken breasts on Sunday or make a small boneless turkey breast in the crockpot.
  • mommyrana
    mommyrana Posts: 19 Member
    vega protein powder. vanilla chai is my favorite. i get it at GNC but you can also order onlinie either from GNC or from Vega (link below) I am also trying to go dairy free for the 1st time. Do share your tips and tricks!
    http://myvega.com/
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    edamamme, nuts, seeds, sprouts, soy, almond or rice milk, protein bars & powders such as pea, rice, hemp, and soy