First day on MFP and HUNGRY!!!!

Well, I started this morning after signing up on MFP last night. However, I am HUNGRY!!! I have been up since 5:30am EST and got a glass of water right away. Then, around 7am, I ate some Coco Wheats (hot chocolate breakfast cereal like Cream of Wheat), 6 grapes and drank water. But, I am finding that being at home, I would normally grab a snack and I am just not sure what to grab. Seems that everywhere I look there is something I should not eat but not a whole lot I can. Uggghhhhh!!! I need to grocery shop so I have some fruits and veggies to snack. And this drinking water is going to kill me. I WANT SOME CRYSTAL LIGHT TEA!!!!! LOL! Can you tell I am having a tough morning???

Any suggestions for someone who is on their first day and not sure really what to do? HELP!!!

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    The choices of food you are making you release insulin and this is giving blood sugar drops. Try eating complex carbs over simple sugars that will be found in duff cereal like coco wheats.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    I find that when I eat protein, i stay fuller longer. I still drink Chrystal light and snack. I would stay away from sugary snacks, white bread, white rice and white pasta and go with whole grain veggies, fruits and lean meats. I also go with light versions of milk products, I really don't like the fat free stuff.... You shouldn't be hungry and it is more of a lifestyle change than a diet...
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    The choices of food you are making you release insulin and this is giving blood sugar drops. Try eating complex carbs over simple sugars that will be found in duff cereal like coco wheats.

I agree. Whole grain toast with a little peanut butter keeps me full, as I tend to need a combo of protein and carbs to keep me going in the morning. Then I'll do a mid-morning snack of Greek yogurt (lots of protein) which gets me by until lunch.

Also, I have my diary set to "public." I don't eat perfectly all of the time but feel free to use it for ideas.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member

I agree. If you can change over to steel cut oatmeal, or even cheerios with almond milk that would be a good start. I agree about the protein, the more I eat the less hungry I am.

My suggestion to you would be to make a reasonable list of things to buy at the grocery store and go today. By reasonable, I mean do not go buy a hundred dollars worth of fruits and veggies thinking that you are going to eat them all. That could be a waste of food and money. Decide on the ones you like and get a few days worth. If you are close enough to get to the grocery easily that is.

I work from home and eat a little bit every couple of hours, that is what works for me. I keep lots of fruit, baby carrots, low calorie yogurts and rice cakes around to snack on.

I also found bee pollen to help my food cravings when I stopped smoking and could not stop eating. I would take 2 on an empty stomach between 10 and 15 minutes before I ate breakfast then the same at lunch.

Good luck, you are doing the right thing. You will never regret making the right decisions about being healthy.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Try a nice hot bowl of oats porridge with banana and raw cashew nuts! Delicious! That will keep you going, but it is going to hard if you're looking around and all you see are forbidden treats! Clear out the cupboards once and for all. Pick up a book from the library on healthy eating of just google some menu ideas. How many calories should you consume each day?

It sounds to me that you should be equipping yourself with all the right tools first and foremost. Once you have all the right things in place, you'll be on your merry way to reaching your goal. Organisation, Preparation, Dedication!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    ps... Just noted that you are a SAHM. Perfect! Get your kiddies involved. Not only will they support you, but they will also learn healthier eating habits! I am a SAHM and love baking. I still do that with the kids but resist the super large batches of cupcakes and cookies. Instead, I make a small batch that will be over and done with as soon as they're out of the oven.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Yep, I would say you need some protein! scramble up a few eggs, (no butter or oil!) maybe even skip the yolks to save some Chol. and calories. Or maybe eat some nuts, I like almonds, but only eat one serving size! You can do it! Good luck to you!
  • heavenlyhazel
    heavenlyhazel Posts: 89 Member
    I am supposed to eat about 1700 calories a day (which seems like so many). My usual breakfast is 2 pieces of 100% whole wheat toast with 1 tsp of honey and 1-2Tbs of reduced fat peanut butter. That usually fills me up and keeps me content until lunch. I usually snack for lunch (and not the right stuff) and then eat a fairly large dinner of pasta and chicken. I know I need to make many changes, but trying to figure it out slowly and work my way into it. I am thinking of following the diabetic diet (I am not even pre-diabetic) but was told by my doctor that it is a safe and healthy eating plan. I also have spoken to many diabetics who say they are never hungry and have shed a lot of weight when they started following it.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Please keep them coming as I need all the help I can get!!!
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    If I don't eat enough of the right things for breakfast, I am hungry for the rest of the day! Eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt...these are all things that have protein to keep you full longer. I feel like if I don't start off my day with some of these things, I can never 'catch up' and end up eating a bunch of junk by the end of the day!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Try switching up your morning foods...get more protein in there. I feel much more satisfied when I have eggs and toast vs cereal. Plain oatmeal and then add some stuff (nuts, fruit, brown sugar) to flavor it up would be great as well.

If you need ideas for different things to do with eggs and ones that are quick, lemme know :)
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    I like to eat an apple with some peanut butter for breakfast. It keeps me going until lunch. I agree with many of the other poster's here...intro some protien and you should be ok:) Have a great day
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    I agree..It's all about choices. I have the hardest time getting my 1200 calories in especially after excercise. Try browsing everyone's food diary. You'd be surprised how many great food ideas there are out there. Feel free to add me and take a look at mine. I'm eating every 2 hours and I'm always full.
  • Gotta get the protein in or you are going to be hungry. I usually have a good ammount of protein in the morning and at lunch to get me through the day. You are welcome to add me as a friend so you can view my diary.
  • How you feel is perfectly normal =) You will feel hungry until your body adjusts to the new change. Hang in there and i promise...it does get easier!!
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    You won't be for long. it's a new adjustment. :happy:
  • Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Hang in there, when I first started I was starving too, it'll past. I still have cravings, but try to work through them. I do have to have my meals on time or it's a problem. I try to load my meals with lots of veggies so I'll have that sensation of fullness. Good luck on your journey, you can do this!!!:wink:
  • The first week is brutal. Be Strong and avoid the extra calories. Next Monday your body will be used to the smaller portions.:smile:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    I agree with everyone's suggestion to eat more protein. Also, when I feel empty and water just isn't cutting it, I make hot tea. Zero calories but lots of flavor, and something about the warmth really fools my belly! Also, there are several types of teas that contribute to your overall health (like green tea, blueberry, etc.). One thing I LOVE to do is put in two different tea bags at the same time (like orange and vanilla) so I've got a custom blend. Feels a little bit indulgent. =)

My favorite morning snack is a cup of "custom" tea and a serving of roasted almonds or walnuts.
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    First...know that it is normal to be hungry at first. You can follow as much of the advice as you want, but you will be hungry at first. Your stomach has got to shrink a bit before you will really be satisfied. Also, your brain has to change a bit before you will give up the snack desires. I can say that my desire to snack constantly has finally gone away, but some days are still hard. Here are my suggestions to you, but remember, part of it at first is just pure willpower!
    1. Increase protein - Eat an egg each morning. Just one egg will change your hunger level a lot.
    2. Get moving - If you are stuck in the house, you are going to want to eat. Go workout. If you have done that and are still at home, clean the house, go walk around the mall,etc. Get yourself moving!
    3. Give yourself a few low calorie snacks each day. I usually have a low cal snack 3 times per day (morning, afternoon, night). I figure out how to eat less at meals so that I can have it.
    4. Use only complex carbs. Your cereal is likely not a complex carb. Your body digests complex carbs slower....so eat something that is whole wheat.
    5. Most importantly, just hold on! It will get better!!!!!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    The first week is brutal. Be Strong and avoid the extra calories. Next Monday your body will be used to the smaller portions.:smile:

Amen!