Calories in sushi rolls

Anyone know a good place to find nutrition info for Japanese food like miso soup, that orange ginger dressing, sushi rolls? I feel like every site says a different thing and I have no idea what to actually go by!

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Anyone know a good place to find nutrition info for Japanese food like miso soup, that orange ginger dressing, sushi rolls? I feel like every site says a different thing and I have no idea what to actually go by!

If you're planning on making it I'd just figure it out by your specific ingredients...the thing is it's going to depend on each roll. One restaurant may have larger rolls (and therefore more calories) than another.

I know the grocery store by me has a sushi counter and they have the calories posted which I was pretty happy about...hissho sushi I believe is the brand. Not too bad.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    I'm looking for a good estimate of the average in a restuarant. Example: miso soup ranges from 20-100 calories on this site. I usually go for mid-range, but I just wish there was something a little more reliable...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Every site is going to say somethiing different, because every restaurant is going to have a slightly different recipe, or might slice one roll into 6 pieces instead of 8, for example.
    Either check the website of the place you are eating from (if they have the info available), check the packaging or pick an entry that sounds close enough. I usually estimate about 60 cals per slice (unless it has fried something in the middle, then I would guess more).
    Don't worry too much, everything you enter is an estimate anyway, all you can do is pick something that sounds close and go with it.
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I'd use Livestrong.com to find calories in various foods.
    It's been around longer than mfp I think, so has more foods and is generally more accurate.

If you make an account there, you can also calculate how many calories you burn exercising based on your body weight.
    This is a convenient feature for those of us who can't throw down $100 on a spiffy heart rate monitor.
  • Ginger Dressing - 2-tablespoon serving

according to OnHealth.com
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Every restaurant (if you live in the US) is required to provide nutritional information to customers if it is requested. So, just ask whoever is making the meal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Every restaurant (if you live in the US) is required to provide nutritional information to customers if it is requested. So, just ask whoever is making the meal.

Pretty sure this is only true of chain restaurants.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Well, not every single bowl of miso soup is going to be the same size, nor even made to the exact same recipe, so perhaps it's unrealistic to look for One True Figure?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member

Pretty sure this is only true of chain restaurants.

Yup. Which excludes most Sushi Restaurants. But the Sushi FAQ that Guru posted is definitely the best place to start. Although do realize that specialty roles, especially anything baked, tempura style, or with lots of mayonnaise based sauces will have significantly more calories.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    That Sushi FAQ site does look like the best option. Thank you for sharing!!