Exercise and burning calories question.

sturge161
sturge161 Posts: 37 Member
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
If I rollerblade for 30 minutes and burn x number of calories, is this all the calorie-burning benefits I get from the exercise? Or does the exercise also boost my metabolism for a while which in turn increases the number of calories I burn that day in addition the the initial x calories burned while rollerblading?

Replies

• sturge161
    If I rollerblade for 30 minutes and burn x number of calories, is this all the calorie-burning benefits I get from the exercise? Or does the exercise also boost my metabolism for a while which in turn increases the number of calories I burn that day in addition the the initial x calories burned while rollerblading?
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    It definitely boosts you for the rest of the day! Other things like weightlifting do that as well. For purposes of losing weight I don't count the added calorie burn, but once you get to maintenance you may see a need to increase calories by a bit to keep from losing if you are being super active. My weightlifting teacher said that for every pound of fat that you convert to muscle, you burn an extra 70-100 calories a day. :-)
  • sturge161
    Wow! I guess that is one more reason to keep working out. It will make it easier and easier to burn calories. Thanks for the info!
  • time2wrk
    You're welcome! I have been fortunate to join a gym where the instructors really keep up on fitness and nutrition news and share it with the members very willingly.

Have fun with your exercising!
  • hjcopeland
    hjcopeland Posts: 53 Member
    Actually (unfortunately!), the effect is pretty minimal. The following is from WebMD:

Fitness Myth No. 3: An aerobic workout will boost your metabolism for hours after you stop working out.
    This statement is actually true -- but the calorie burn is probably not nearly as much as you think!

Harr says that while your metabolism will continue to burn at a slightly higher rate after you finish an aerobic workout, the amount is not statistically significant. In fact, it allows you to burn only about 20 extra calories for the day. While there's a little bit more of a metabolic boost after strength training, he says, it's still marginal.

"It doesn't really count towards your caloric burn," he says.

There is a link to the article on the "Blog" section of this site, and the entire article is available at: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/top-9-fitness-myths-busted
  • time2wrk
    Hmm, I am not sure I agree, since I definitlely notice that I can eat more when I work out, beyond the caloric expense for the day. In any case, exercising will help you toward your fitness goals, so fight the sedentary lifestyle!!! :-)
  • fessler
    fessler Posts: 23
    Cardio exercise DOES NOT boost for the rest of the day...you get a minimal elevated after burn for an hour or two. Weight lifting exercise will give you an elevated after burn for about 12-18 hours. The two are different.

I am a Certified Personal Trainer.
  • time2wrk
    Then I go for weightlifting! :-)
This discussion has been closed.