Hungry all the time

Hey everyone!

I had Gastric Bypass 3 months ago. I started eating regular food about a month ago, a little earlier than normal. Over the last week or so, I've noticed I want to eat all the time and no matter if I do protein or not, I'm still hungry after 2 hours or so. I can also eat more than I could just a week ago. Have I already stretched my pouch? Has anyone else experienced this? I also noticed my weight loss stalled a couple of weeks ago, right after my 50 pound mark. I'm fearful that I'm not going to lose any more.

Replies

• GenieM0119
    GenieM0119 Posts: 32 Member
    No, no, no you have not stretched your pouch! Ask yourself "I am really hungry"? After 5 years I experience that same feelin' like OMG I am starvin' and when I do fix something or grab a protein drink I each a couple of mouthfuls or drink half of the protein and then I don't want it. Are you eating the right foods/protein. They altered your stomach, not your head. This is the beginning of the many changes your body is going to go through.

Check with the dietation at your surgeon's office that's what they ae there for. At 3 months out it is unusal for you to be as hungry as you say you are.

Genie
  • I'm sure that some of it is "head hunger." Maybe the other part is just that I'm no longer FULL all the time from trying to get the protein in?

My Surgeon is 4 hours away, so I can't just run in to see the dietician. I do eat some things that I'm not supposed to (occasional cookie from Subway, or some bread/crackers occasionally) but I don't really notice feeling any differently after eating that. I do make myself aware of the fact that it's possible though, when I do eat carbs, that I'll feel hungry sooner. That's not what I'm concerned about as much as it is that I can just eat MORE now.

I'm already SO over the protein shakes. I've been doing protein bars (although they're frustrating because of the calories/fat in them) or cheese slices for snacks. I guess if I were really hungry, I wouldn't mind drinking that protein shake instead, huh?
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    I have come across this issue, too. Last time I was at the surgeon for a check up, he gave me a little mental exercise. He had me name my most favorite food ever - no matter what it was, good, bad or ugly. That would be candy for me. Then he had me name my least favorite food ever, that would be veggies for me. Then he had me name a middle of the road food, for me that would be chicken, something like that.

When I think I am hungry, I need to ask my self - what would satisfy me right now. If it was candy, it is probably head hunger, get something to drink and wait half an hour. If the feeling is still there, ask again. If it was veggies, definitely true hunger and get your self something to eat - something healthy of course! If chicken would satisfy me, it is probably a little of both, so find a small, healthy snack, log it and move on.

Also, check the time since my last meal/snack. I have totally programmed my body to expect something to eat every couple of hours. Sometimes, I will have a small snack, even if I am not feeling the hunger, just because it helps to fend off hunger down the road.

Hang in there - it is normal and I got stuck at about that time period, too. It might also be time to increase your calorie intake by 100 cals or so - I did that, ended up feeling better and dropping again.
  • How many calories do you do? My surgeon said to rely on protein intake and not worry too much about calories as long as they are under 1200-1300/day.

I get anywhere from 800-1200 daily but average probably 900-1000. That average has increased over the last couple of weeks though.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    I'm almost a year out and I am getting about 1400 calories per day - some days more, some days less and sometimes I eat back my exercise calories and sometimes I don't It just depends on how it feels that day.

I shoot for 80 g of protein a day and am pretty consistent with it.
  • i am 10 months out and just now worrying about keeping up 1200 calories :) it was always protien over calories for the first 9 months. everyone is different--just giving you my deal.

good luck
  • Well I think my issue was just emotional/hormonal/stress or something. Because The last few days have been better. I do notice I want to eat after 2 hours or so, but I'm okay with that. I just need to choose wisely.