Job in the way

I'm so frustrated that I can't be at home everyday so I can hit the gym and get more intense exercise in! I work on the rigs as a medic, I have to be on site 24hrs a day on call! I go for walks everyday but when it snows I'm not sure how I'm going to keep doing that either (the roads to these sites are almost non existant, so sometimes when it snows we get snowed it to! even with our 4x4 trucks) I know that if I could be at the gym I could be making more progress... I really want to lose the weight this time. I have about 15lbs to lose to reach my goal, but I can't give up this job either. I'm really watching my food intake but I'm worried its not going to be enough!

Replies

• I'm so frustrated that I can't be at home everyday so I can hit the gym and get more intense exercise in! I work on the rigs as a medic, I have to be on site 24hrs a day on call! I go for walks everyday but when it snows I'm not sure how I'm going to keep doing that either (the roads to these sites are almost non existant, so sometimes when it snows we get snowed it to! even with our 4x4 trucks) I know that if I could be at the gym I could be making more progress... I really want to lose the weight this time. I have about 15lbs to lose to reach my goal, but I can't give up this job either. I'm really watching my food intake but I'm worried its not going to be enough!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    It might just be slower than you'd like, but hang in there! I was at a terribly stressful job the last few years and I couldn't get to a gym and I gave up and ate myself to a size 16. (I was a 10 when I started the job.) Don't give up, I so regret it! I am down to a 12 now, I have about 16 more pounds to go, and the gym speeds things up, but just think, in 5 weeks if you lost 5 pounds - you're still 5 pounds lighter!!! Can you maybe get some hand weights so you can at least to that if you are snowed in? The weight training really helps the pounds melt off...
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Can you try other things like getting a jump rope, doing jumping jacks, running in place or getting a dvd/video? Keep doing the weight training.

I love to take walks in the deep snow as exercise. I go out on the area lakes that are all drifted and unplowed. It's awesome exercise!
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    lol julie. I can just imagine you wading through those snow drifts.
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    I'm sure you can do it, you just probably want to do it a different way. It will be a little harder to do it when you are on the rig, but there are so many different things to do that don't require exercise equipment. I'm not sure what you have access to, but there are many different exercises you can do without equipment, as suggested by Julie...situps, jumping jacks, running in place, etc.
    Don't give up hope! You are doing the hardest part: watching what you eat. I've found the eating well gets easier the more I exercise. I know it sounds crazy, but the healthier I live, the better I feel and it makes me want to do more!
    Keep up the good work!
  • I do sit ups and that kind of stuff but its so hard to not be able to do more! I used to be really active I was a whte water raft guide and in great shape about 2 yrs ago lol I luv looking at pics from 3 yrs ago and I just want that back! jumping rope is hard, these trailers arent exactly design for people who want to be active lol Have you seen the engineers who work out here? Thanks for tips guys, and yeah I guess I have to concentrate on the positives like regardless how long it takes, Im still gunan be lighter!