STARVING today!!

Holy moly!! I've eaten the same thing today that I eat every day for breakfast and lunch, but I am still starving! Usually I'm perfectly satisfied and I go on with my day, but today I am definitely not satisfied. Advice?

Replies

• This happened to me yesterday! By the middle of the day I realized I was not going to stop feeling hungry. What I did was drink more water, and broke up my snacks so I was munching more during the day. I usually eat something every three hours, whether it is a 300 calorie meal, or a snack. So instead of eating my whole apple for a snack, I ate half, then an hour later ate the other half. I tried to trick my body that I was eating more. It worked for me, because I was able to stay within my calorie range and eat healthy food when I really wanted to binge eat.

Hope this helps somewhat.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    for about a week, right around the time i'm ovulating, i find i'm ravenously hungry from the minute i wake up until i go to bed, no matter what i eat i can't feel satisfied. i assume it's related to my body prepping to build a baby, but i'm not entirely sure. i try to eat as many superfoods as i can during that week, (which is actually now) like kale, cauliflower, lentils, oats, berries, salmon, almonds, and greek yogurt. i also try to have 5-6 smaller meals and drink a ton of water and tea. quick and filling and low cal stuff i snack on are a piece of watery fruit like a pear and a pack of instant sugar free oatmeal, or 20 almonds and some celery.
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    I am ready to start chewing my arm off today.
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    for about a week, right around the time i'm ovulating, i find i'm ravenously hungry from the minute i wake up until i go to bed, no matter what i eat i can't feel satisfied. i assume it's related to my body prepping to build a baby, but i'm not entirely sure. i try to eat as many superfoods as i can during that week, (which is actually now) like kale, cauliflower, lentils, oats, berries, salmon, almonds, and greek yogurt. i also try to have 5-6 smaller meals and drink a ton of water and tea. quick and filling and low cal stuff i snack on are a piece of watery fruit like a pear and a pack of instant sugar free oatmeal, or 20 almonds and some celery.

That would be about where I am in my cycle also. Usually I am starving the week before my period, but seems like my body decided to change it up this month. I've always heard "eat if/when you're hungry," but seriously I'd be eating all damn day today if that were the case. I just ate a 90 calorie Fiber One brownie though. Yum!
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    i try to snack on celery when it gets really bad. and i keep hot tea with me too, which somehow tricks me into feeling less snacky at least briefly. tangerines and berries are also good small quick fixes. it's the sodium that kills me. how are those brownies? i've been wanting to try them.
  • cricket_0408
    cricket_0408 Posts: 56 Member
    i try to snack on celery when it gets really bad. and i keep hot tea with me too, which somehow tricks me into feeling less snacky at least briefly. tangerines and berries are also good small quick fixes. it's the sodium that kills me. how are those brownies? i've been wanting to try them.

They are amazing!! You have to try!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    those are usually the days I will eat smaller "meals" and graze, I'll keep a bunch of fresh cut fruits and veggies within easy reach in the fridge, and just munch on those. Baby carrots are great for days like this, they take a while to chew and don't give much in terms of calories.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Holy moly!! I've eaten the same thing today that I eat every day for breakfast and lunch, but I am still starving! Usually I'm perfectly satisfied and I go on with my day, but today I am definitely not satisfied. Advice?

It's because your metabolism is up and it's transferring that food into energy faster. Try adding 100 calories to one or both meals and see if that helps. Something simple like an apple, yogurt or almonds. Water is also your friend and fills you up. You shouldn't feel "starved" in between meals if you're eating every 3-4 hours.
  • astraea82
    astraea82 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm with the person who mentioned grazing. If I feel one of those days coming on, I'll make a bag of popcorn or get some carrots with a little bit of peanut butter. I also am a fan of eating grapes or a couple of raisins.

I also find that green tea really takes away my appetite.

Good luck!
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Is it that time of the month, maybe? Or perhaps you worked out harder yesterday or today? I wouldn't see why you couldn't have a little something extra to eat just as long as your calories for the week balance out. You could also try drinking a glass of water to make sure it's not thirst that's making you think you're hungry.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Seems a lot of people have been overly hungry today. I was too and ate WAAAAAAY over my goal without really meaning to. I misread a nutrition label for one of my snack items UGH!
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    for about a week, right around the time i'm ovulating, i find i'm ravenously hungry from the minute i wake up until i go to bed, no matter what i eat i can't feel satisfied.
    That would be about where I am in my cycle also. Usually I am starving the week before my period, but seems like my body decided to change it up this month. I've always heard "eat if/when you're hungry," but seriously I'd be eating all damn day today if that were the case. I just ate a 90 calorie Fiber One brownie though. Yum!

THIS. Right there with you today.

I'm one of those losers who doesn't pay attention to my cycle until
    a - I realize I'm being a raving b**** for no reason;
    b - I feel alternately fat/thin because my body bloats and shrinks like 3 inches every couple hours; or
    c - For a day or two I get this crazy "F*** This!" attitude and eat EVERYTHING IN SIGHT.

On top of that, adding exercise into my life makes me even more hungry the next day. And working at a VERY boring office job doesn't help either...I get so bored, all I can think about is when the next meal is!

If anyone's interested, here are my usual solutions to the problem of grazing without blowing past one's calorie goal:

~ The No. 1 most helpful thing: WAIT after eating a meal or snack. If you've just eaten but you still feel ravenous, pause for a second. I read somewhere that it takes your brain 20 minutes to realize you're full, and in my experience that's totally true. Many times if I just wait a little before eating more, the hunger will fade. Did you just wolf down your meal in like 10 minutes? Then wait 10 minutes before eating something else. Try it!

~ Between meals have something that you can eat SLOWLY, or something with an interesting texture or that requires a lot of chewing :D What works best for me is veggies, especially carrots and green beans/snap peas which are satisfying, good for nibbling, and low enough in calories that I can pretty much eat as many as I want without wrecking my goal.

~ Gum. Stride 5 gum lasts FOREVER...I can usually delay my meal another hour by chewing this gum.

~ Strongly-flavored teas such as Raspberry Zinger. They're sweet and tasty, so I can trick myself into thinking I'm having a treat, and the water is filling for a time as well.

~ If you're like me and rely on coffee for energy, try splitting your daily coffee intake so you're drinking some of it around the middle of the day when you're most likely to need another pick-me-up.

~ Speaking of coffee, sometimes if my sweet tooth kicks in and Resistance Is Futile, I'll dump 1/2 serving of hot chocolate mix into my midday coffee. It's minimal calories and sweet chocolate coffee goodness!!

That's all I can think of for now.
    Today was tough...if there had been cake around I probably would have scarfed the WHOLE THING like a RABID BEAST.
    Good luck everyone! :)
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I am ready to start chewing my arm off today.

Let me know if you can't finish that.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    That happened to me the other day. I would normally have eaten a bunch of spoonfuls of peanut butter or Nutella, but instead I forced myself to eat a bunch of baby carrots and drink some tea. I felt much better after that, and I am proud of myself for not going over my calories for the day.
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I think it is probably due to ovulation but man, I'm starving! I eat every 3-4 hours and today I've been RAVENOUS. I'm just glad to know I'm not the only one!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Have some black coffee or (edit: WARM tea, not iced tea w/ sugar or artificial sweetener) green/black tea. Sipping on either of those is a decent appetite suppressant.