How Did You Start?

How did you guys start running? What was your motivation to do it?

I want to run, it is this ever present itch that I have. I always feel like I am a runner trapped in a fat chicks body. But I never have enough nerve to do it, so I squish it down and pretend the yearn isn't there. Then I end up dreaming about running.

Did you just one day decide to pick up and start?
Did you follow a program like Couch to 5K?

How did you mentally just say "eff it, I'm going to run!"

I think this belongs here, let me know if it doesn't!

I guess I'm paranoid that people are going to stare. I KNOW that at least I can say "Hey I'm running and you aren't, so suck it!" but dude, beyond my front door scares me when it comes to this!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I'm the same way - never been a fan of running, but I WANT to like it! So I just started the Couch-to-5k (or C25K) program this week! Find it here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There are several phone apps for smart phones, and they coach you right through it while you're out there. It starts you slowly, first week is a 30 minute program - 5 minute brisk walk to warm up, then 60 seconds of jogging at your pace, then 90 seconds walking, 60 jogging, 90 walking, etc, until you get to the last 5 minutes which is cool down. You go three days per week, and advance to the next week when you're ready.

I am only on my second day of the first week - today was easier than the first day! Hoping it will just get better and better, and in 9 weeks I'll be able to run a 5k! Check it out, you can do it!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    I do not qualify as a runner yet. I've just started a C25K program - more or less. I don't aspire to really be a runner, but I want to at least know that I can - if that makes sense.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    I hate running, so I don't do it, LOL - but I'd say, if you want to run, then do it! I don't let fear of what someone else will *maybe* think stop me from doing anything that I really want to do.

My suggestion would be to start running in a place where other people run. Because - other people are used to seeing folks running there, so they don't even give then a second glance.

For instance, I'm always seeing people jogging around the campus 'loop' - and trust me - no one pays any more attention than it takes to not hit them on the side of the road, LOL!

No one will stare at you, honest. If you want it, do it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    I used to be a wanna-be runner - but now I really am a runner!
    I started with C25k and just forced myself to ignore the feelings that everyone must be laughing at the fat girl trying to run. I'm pretty convinced now that no one else really cares or notices - or of they do, I'll never know what they think anyway so it doesn't matter.

My tips for getting started:
    - find a program that tells you what to do and follow it.
    - do it three or four times a week and either do other exercise (walking or strength work) in between or take them as rest days.
    - run SLOWLY. This makes it possible for you to do the distance. Don't worry about speed, that will come once you have some miles in your legs.
    - don't underestimate the importance of good shoes and a good bra (mostly for the ladies!).
    - if you get injured - rest, give it time to heal and if it's not better in a few days find a good physiotherapist or other professional to help you work out what is wrong and how to deal with it, and how to prevent it happening again (voice of sad experience here!).

Don't think too much about it, just get out there and do it!
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    I also hate running, but am trying to gain more endurance so am doing it anyway :)

I love to walk, so I started that first. Then I swallowed my self-consciousness and went to the gym and learned how to use the treadmill. Once I figured that out, began alternating walking outside and on the treadmill.
    Now I'm walking outside, and on the treadmill I walk for the first 5-10 minutes, then alternate running and walking every 2 minutes for the next 20 minutes. Once I get used to that, I plan to run 3/walk 2, then run 4/walk 2, and so on until I have endurance for a 15 minute run!

Maybe I will even run outside someday. In public. Yeek :embarassed:

For you, since you seem to want to run anyway, I'd say just do it! Start little by little and build it up to a level that's safe and comfortable for you, then push your limits gradually :) That's my uneducated advice!
  • I hate running too! I can't run for physical reasons: have an artificial joint in one knee & that knee doesn't bend like it should.

I CAN walk though so I need to do that. I have very thick callouses on my feet & that makes it hard to walk but I think I try to walk too fast. If I just walk say 15 mins 2 times a day that would be good. What do you think.

I really need the support of someone who is exercising cause I am very lazy.
  • SunSand76
    SunSand76 Posts: 83 Member
    Hey good for you!
    I can relate to your desire.. and your hesitation.
    Ive done C25K twice now and I have to say, hands down it is THE best thing Ive ever done exercise wise. Running has changed things for me - big time. Ive only been running 7 months, I am NOT fast.. but I am doing it, I am running.. and you know what? I like it! Of course there are good days, bad days, good runs, bad runs.. but all in all.. it's awesome. I was self concious at first, running outside... "what if people see me??".... so i put i ball cap on, pushed the brim down low, and hit the road.. lol.. Do it for you... and try to not talk yourself out of it. You'll get addicted... and you'll think "why didn't i start this a long time ago?"....

... dive right in and have fun!
  • kellyhogg
    kellyhogg Posts: 10 Member
    I'm very intrigued by this Couch-to-5K....I think i would like to try the plan! :)
  • Thank you everyone for your input! <3

My only question about C25K (I've checked out the website before) is, how in the heck do you time yourself?! I know the easy answer is "stop watch" but what if you don't have one? Mental count down?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Thank you everyone for your input! <3

My only question about C25K (I've checked out the website before) is, how in the heck do you time yourself?! I know the easy answer is "stop watch" but what if you don't have one? Mental count down?
    I use the app on my iphone - hit start, and it tells you when to walk, when to run, etc. The app I have plays a loud "chime" sound as well, which is sometimes easier for me to hear than the voice when there's a lot of traffic around. I keep my phone in my pocket for now, but I ordered an armband so I can carry it that way. The app I have is called C25K Free and it follows the same plan as the one on the website (at least it does so far!).
  • Pebble321
    I hate running too! I can't run for physical reasons: have an artificial joint in one knee & that knee doesn't bend like it should.

I CAN walk though so I need to do that. I have very thick callouses on my feet & that makes it hard to walk but I think I try to walk too fast. If I just walk say 15 mins 2 times a day that would be good. What do you think.

I really need the support of someone who is exercising cause I am very lazy.

Absolutely, walking is great exercise, especially when you have some physical limitations. 15 mins twice a day would be great - set yourself that goal and just do it!
  • Hmm, I don't have an Iphone, but I do have a blackberry and I think I found an app for that!
  • Pebble321
    Thank you everyone for your input! <3

Do you have a smart phone? If so, get an app.
    Do you have an MP3 player? If so, download a podcast.
    Do you have a watch? Use that. You could probably pick up a really cheap watch with a timer/stopwatch at a dollar store if you don't already have one.
  • Do you have a smart phone? If so, get an app.
    Do you have a watch? Use that. You could probably pick up a really cheap watch with a timer/stopwatch at a dollar store if you don't already have one.

^^----In my other post I did say I found an app.
  • Pebble321
    Do you have a smart phone? If so, get an app.

^^----In my other post I did say I found an app.

Yes, I saw that after I posted.... enjoy becoming a runner (and if you like to read, look out for Flanagan's Run by Tom McNab, it's my favourite running book.)