Low-carb Lembas Bread! (for LOTR nerds)

Yes, orcs and goblins, I played with this all afternoon and now present to you: low-carb lembas bread for the diabetic Elf or the Paleo Dwarf. :smile:

8 slices bacon (or more, to taste. No such thing as too much bacon.)
2 cups almond flour
½ cup ground flaxmeal
4 eggs
4 oz (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup walnuts
1.5 T cinnamon
4 scoops vanilla protein powder (I used Syntrax Nectar vanilla bean whey protein powder)
1/2 cup sugar-free maple syrup, honey or similar sweetener (I used Smuckers sugar-free breakfast syrup)
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used Smart Balance creamy)
1 sugar-free fruit-flavored jello cup (the original recipe said to use 3 pieces of orange peel and 1/4 of an orange, but I didn't have any oranges so I improvised) (also: orange peel? Yuck!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cook bacon and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
In blender, combine all ingredients except bacon & flour. Blend until liquefied. Add one cup flour & continue.
Remove mixture from blender, add remaining flour and bacon. Stir until well-blended.
Spread evenly in 15 x 10 cookie sheet or similar baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip & bake another 10. Score into 24 bars. Each one will have 160 cal, 4g carbs, 13g fat, 9g protein.
Traditional: wrap each bar in large leaves.

Optional: line baking pan with tinfoil. Lay approx. 16 slices of bacon in weaving pattern & bake for 10 minutes. Flip and bake 5 more minutes. Use bacon to wrap bread.

Here's the link to the original recipe, brought to you by Feast of Fiction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ7P1EID7v8

Namárie!

Replies

• Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    1 sugar-free fruit-flavored jello cup (the original recipe said to use 3 pieces of orange peel and 1/4 of an orange, but I didn't have any oranges so I improvised) (also: orange peel? Yuck!)

I am sorry. I just kinda had to laugh. This is very creative substitution....Did it work out???? I don't personally think I would ever go there but good on ya for using your noggin.

On a side note orange peel is actually very good it's doesn't have the same bitter taste as the white part of the rind. Just in case in the future you ever want to try it out. I promise....not disgusting.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    I am sorry. I just kinda had to laugh. This is very creative substitution....Did it work out???? I don't personally think I would ever go there but good on ya for using your noggin.

Don't apologize! I'm glad I can amuse someone. I can't eat much fruit as I have to be very careful not to spike my blood sugar. But I can and do keep lots of jello on hand. To satisfy my sweet tooth, and because the gelatin helps with my arthritis.

And it really worked great! I tried three different slight variations, but the above recipe is the one that worked out best and had the fewest carbs. The jello worked every time, though. :smile:
  • llergoshine
    llergoshine Posts: 1 Member
    Would it work with keto slim fast vanilla powder? or what's the protein powder addition for? can it be removed? thans!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    This thread is 9 years old

Are the original posters of the recipes still around to answer your question?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    This thread is 9 years old

Are the original posters of the recipes still around to answer your question?

Wellll...........the OP last posted in 2017, so I'd guess no.