Carbs and Diabetes

I am diabetic and confused about daily carb intake. What I hear is "low carb diet." I'm averaging around 215 carbs a day. Am I even close to where I should be?

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Low carb diets such as Atkins allows for a max of 20 grams of carb per day on its most strict phase. You really should speak with a nutritionist or your Doctor to see what they might recommend. Please don't take just anyone's advice on these threads. Get your info from a reliable source.

Again, you will see posts from people who will tell you to do this or that...they are not experts. There are some posters here that really know a lot about nutrition, but most are only offering their own view, rarely based on hard fact. Good luck!
  • thommiesgirl
    thommiesgirl Posts: 8 Member
    There isn't a one size fits all answer when it comes to diabetes. Each person's need/tolerance depends on the type and severity of diabetes that they are dealing with. Your best bet is to discuss this with your doctor or a diabetic counselor/nutritionist. Based on your medical history, they can help you develop a plan that is tailored specifically to your needs. Healthwise it is very important that you seek qualified medical advice to maintain the best control of your diabetes. Good luck!
  • Widdy1961
    Widdy1961 Posts: 100 Member
    I too am Diabetic and I would echo the advice given above..............

Widdy
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    My nutritionist told me to write down everything I ate for each meal, and my tested sugar levels 1 hour after I ate it. I could then determine if I was eating too many carbs (and sugars) or if a certain combination was less lethal than others. Some foods affected me much worse than others, ie: macaroni and cheese was horrible, but cake wasn't as bad.

So each person is different.

Doctor's advice is best :smile: .
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    "The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends that approximately 50 percent to 60 percent of total daily calorie intake should be in the form of carbohydrates. Some people may find this range works for them, but others will find that consuming that amount hampers their diabetes control. Working with your diabetes care team to discover how different foods and carb levels impact your control is the best way to determine your optimal daily carb intake level."
    From the dlife website.
    That being said, as a diabetic, I recommend talking to your physician or nutritionist. Good luck!
  • msh0530
    I forgot to say, there are 4 calories in a gram of carbohydrate.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    There isn't a one size fits all answer when it comes to diabetes. Each person's need/tolerance depends on the type and severity of diabetes that they are dealing with. Your best bet is to discuss this with your doctor or a diabetic counselor/nutritionist. Based on your medical history, they can help you develop a plan that is tailored specifically to your needs. Healthwise it is very important that you seek qualified medical advice to maintain the best control of your diabetes. Good luck!

This is true..............

Even though your Doctor should have told you no more than XX amount of carbs per meal and per snack..........

You should also be eating small, frequent meals though out the day.

My body is very carb sensitive..................fresh vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, berries, dairy to include cheese, yogurt, butter and heavy cream.............

I follow Atkins as this is what my Doctor and Diabetic Endocrinologist have recommended for me........

Read this article, I posted both the article and the link..............

Also, click on the link in my signature.............I have been back on Atkins since late December and my blood work has improved greatly. My A1C is close to being in "non-diabetic" status.

http://diabetes.about.com/od/nutrition/qt/locarbdiabetes.htm
    Does a low-carb diet really help control or even reverse type 2 diabetes? According to a study from Duke University, a very low-carb diet (20 grams or less a day) gave participants better blood sugar control and more effective weight loss than participants who followed a low-glycemic reduced calorie diet.
    Eighty-four people with obesity and type 2 diabetes took part in the study. During the study, both groups also had the supportive benefit of group meetings, nutritional supplementation and an exercise program. After 6 months, the low-carb group had lower hemoglobin A1c results, lost more weight, and 95% were able to reduce or even totally eliminate their diabetes medications. The reduced calorie group did lose weight, and 62% of them were also able to reduce or eliminate their medications, but the low-carb diet group had better overall results.

"It's simple," says Eric Westman, MD, director of Duke's Lifestyle Medicine Program and lead author of the study. "If you cut out the carbohydrates, your blood sugar goes down, and you lose weight which lowers your blood sugar even further. It's a one-two punch."

The low-carb diet used in the study is very restrictive on carb intake, with participants eating under 20 grams of carbs a day. This may be difficult for many people to stick to, but as Dr. Westman says, "This is a therapeutic diet for people who are sick," says Westman. "These lifestyle approaches all have an intensive behavioral component. In our program, people come in every two weeks to get reinforcements and reminders. We've treated hundreds of patients this way now at Duke, and what we see clinically and in our research shows that it works."

Keep in mind that there is more to these results than just diet. Both groups also exercised regularly as well. Diet combined with exercise is the cornerstone of diabetes management. Before starting any diet program, please talk with your doctor, or healthcare provider.

Source:

(Jan. 5, 2009). Low-Carb Diets Prove Better at Controlling Type 2 Diabetes . Retrieved February 19, 2009, from DukeHealth.org Web site: http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/News/low_carb_diets_prove_better_at_controlling_type_2_diabetes
  • LeanLioness
    "The American Diabetes Association (ADA) recommends that approximately 50 percent to 60 percent of total daily calorie intake should be in the form of carbohydrates. Some people may find this range works for them, but others will find that consuming that amount hampers their diabetes control. Working with your diabetes care team to discover how different foods and carb levels impact your control is the best way to determine your optimal daily carb intake level."
    From the dlife website.
    That being said, as a diabetic, I recommend talking to your physician or nutritionist. Good luck!

Most diabetics can not handle that % of carb intake................

I personally feel that the ADA is in bed with the pharmaceutical companies trying to get people to stay on these expensive medications to maintain control of their diabetes, instead of a diet and exercise regimen............

Following Atkins has gotten me off of diabetes medications and off high blood pressure meds too, I know people that follow Atkins that their carb intake is around 100-150 and that is eating a LOT of food in a days time...........

I, personally am up to around 35-40 and that is a LOT of food for me to consume...........
  • 4mricandy
    4mricandy Posts: 159 Member
    Is that 35-40 grams?? Geez, I've been consuming around 200 grams of carbs a day!!
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm a diabetic also who takes insulin prior to each meal. My nutritionist said to eat 43 carbs 3 X day. I thought that was crazy - until I looked at how many foods contain carb amounts. I thought it was just breads, cereals, and such. Nope, apples, carrots, etc have carbs for a diabetic to count. I found it interesting - maybe I'm the only one who didn't know that. :huh:

I found that carb counting really helps to keep myself from overindulging. Writing it down keeps me honest. Of course, you may have different requirements as far as how many carbs. I do notice if I eat alot of carbs at one sitting - my sugar goes high afterwards, even with the correct amount of insulin. I would get a nutritionist to work with you. I have found some stuff really helpful, and then experimented on some things myself. Good luck to you! :wink:
  • msh0530
    Everyone is different. I do not take insulin as a type 2 diabetic, and find that I can eat 150-160 grams of carbs a day and be in control of my levels. Do what works for you, and work with your doctor/nutritionist. Good luck!
  • isandi
    isandi Posts: 162 Member
    I attended a class for diabetics and they reccomended 100 carbs per day.
    It amazes me that the AAD still maintains such a high carb intake. on a 1,500 calorie per day plan that would mean about 225 carbs per day! For men maybe! I do best when I am under 125. I also found that it is not so much what I eat but how much!

Sandi:flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Is that 35-40 grams?? Geez, I've been consuming around 200 grams of carbs a day!!

Yes. right now I consume 35-40 grams of carbs per day................

Right now, I don't eat any bread, pasta, rice, potatos..............

I eat a lot of green, leafy vegetables, all types of salads, some fruits and plenty of grilled meats.............

My blood sugars are in very good levels. To the point my fasting blood sugar is around 80 in the mornings.............
  • JTGJTG
    JTGJTG Posts: 52 Member
    4mricandy wrote: »
    I am diabetic and confused about daily carb intake. What I hear is "low carb diet." I'm averaging around 215 carbs a day. Am I even close to where I should be?

It depends on a lot of factors, weight being one of them. The heavier you are, the fewer carbs you need. And, how long have you had diabetes, how severe it is, whether you are still producing insulin, what meds you're on, what exercise you do, what other medical issues you have, etc. Best to ask your doctor.

My doc has me on ~180 carbs per day and ~65g sugar, but was less when I weighed more (I'm within 10 lbs of goal and weight is pretty much stable). The advice to check your sugars so you'll know what triggers you is excellent. Chocolate cake will put me into a coma-like state, sourdough bread or potatoes don't seem to bother me. Your experience will be different. Log EVERYTHING so you know.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    im NOT on a low carb diet, not diabetic, and dont eat that many carbs a day.

my ex was diabetic and was restricted to under 90 carbs per day.

your doctor should advise you on how many you should be eating. Other people can only give their own personal anecdotal stories or generic information and guidelines. But what your body needs is individual to you and your doc should advise.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    13 year old thread!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Well, since this thread has been resurrected - shame on any doctor who tells a newly diagnosed diabetic to eat "low carb" and then not provide specifics, or better yet, a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes.

I get much better health care outcomes when I am proactive with my care. I'm with the VA, which means sometimes I have to be what I consider to be excessively proactive, but I guess it is good practice.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Well, since this thread has been resurrected - shame on any doctor who tells a newly diagnosed diabetic to eat "low carb" and then not provide specifics, or better yet, a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes.

I get much better health care outcomes when I am proactive with my care. I'm with the VA, which means sometimes I have to be what I consider to be excessively proactive, but I guess it is good practice.

talk about a zombie thread LOL

we have AMAZING union health insurance and I am downright vigilante about stuff at times. knowledge is power. Having been raised by a nurse also helps ;)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    You don’t have to do low carb if you are diabetic. The amounts of carbs eaten with other foods and the types of carbs matter though. I agree with others who recommended talking to your doctor and an RD.

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy recently and managed it with diet eating a higher carb diet. I found that eating certain carbs like fruit with a protein and fat blunted the effects of the carbs on my glucose. Everyone is different though.