Judge me, go ahead!

13»

Replies

• Maybe you need to have your iron level checked...eat spinach and green leafy veggies..This Spring I am going to plant some to cut cost..:smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I just think if you feel fatigued and weak you should up your calories, especially if you're just maintaining. I agree that adding protein is a good idea-- but if you're just wondering what to do about fatigue, then 1.) add protein and see if it helps, b.) up your cals to maintenance, and c.) ask your doctor if it persists after trying those two options.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    I just wanted to chime in and first say . . . LOL . . . gotta love the bevy of slightly conflicting advice.

Second. I'm with the person who mentioned hypoglycemia.

I don't have problems with it now, but I used to. My mother also has problems with it on and off. I'm basically just repeating what the other poster said, but I wanted to add weight to her suggestions. Feel free to eat your cookies, but you MUST eat protein also or your blood sugar will continue to spike high and then crash leading to your afternoon episodes.

I did want to say I think there is good way to tell if its a hypoglycemia issue. Basically if you are in the midst of an episode eat something . . . a handful peanuts + some raisins did it for me. The raisins or anything else with sugar will quickly take care of your symptoms, the peanuts make sure they don't come back. If it only alleviates your symptoms for like an hour . . . you should have eaten more. If it doesn't help at all. . . it probably isn't hypoglycemia. (p.s. you should still see a doctor when you can--but until then you gotta do what you gotta do)

And since you are already running a deficit you don't need, don't cut anything out of your diet, just add the proteins and some healthy fats in.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Just a general note, I feel famished if I do not eat enough fat. I'd suggest snacking on nuts, sprinkling them on your cereal and adding a bit more to your meals.

Honestly, I really feel famished if I get under 25% fat. Most of the time I average 32% (mostly good fat unless something strange happens).

Protein for me has a smaller impact on satiety. I also find on some days, when I am famished, I need more electrolytes. I have some nuun tablets or coconut water to replenish.
  • piyubole
    piyubole Posts: 15 Member
    she's probably not hypoglycemic, its just her body getting used to a new diet. it should level off over time. its just that when you are eating a high calorie/highcarb/highsugar diet your body will (naturally) produce more insulin to uptake the sugar but onc eyou change that (like the oriinal poster said) your insulin will be at too high a level. but over time that levels out as ur body gets used to ur new diet - try more whole weat to feed the carb craving in the beginning.
  • Sageyoku
    Sageyoku Posts: 77 Member
    Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

amberlangelon: I will be upping my protein...switched to 40/30/30 and will see if that helps. I can't alter my calories yet because I'm doing a fitness challenge, the rules of which do not allow me to change my intake. But that's over in March :D

JGCooper: SRSLY!!!! I don't mean to be snide in my posts, but DANG, reading some of these made me frustrated. People come from all walks of life and respond differently, so I'll work on accepting advice with less of an attitude :P

jadedone: I have noticed this also, but I think it really was mostly an issue with protein. I have upped my levels these past two days and have noticed a difference at work. First of all, my breakfast lasts longer! Secondly, I found roasted soybeans, which have quite a bit of protein. Adding these into my midday snack REALLY seemed to help!

piyubole: I was thinking this also, especially since I don't normally work out AT ALL and have been exercising almost every day in addition to having a calorie deficit and low protein levels. My body probably did not react well :/

Thank you all again!
  • Sageyoku
    Today I was supposed to go out with friends for dinner, so I tried to eat carefully all day and exercised to make up for the calories I anticipated eating. AND THEN I GOT STOOD UP, and was starving, and had a lonely-*kitten* meal at Chik Fil A.

Sigh.
    Go ahead and judge :P

Also, I am going home this weekend to celebrate my birthday (late) with my family, so there will be crap in my diary once again :/

Meeting the higher protein goal is hard!!!
    For the next week, there may still be higher carbs just because I have so much oatmeal around :/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

amberlangelon: I will be upping my protein...switched to 40/30/30 and will see if that helps. I can't alter my calories yet because I'm doing a fitness challenge, the rules of which do not allow me to change my intake. But that's over in March :D

JGCooper: SRSLY!!!! I don't mean to be snide in my posts, but DANG, reading some of these made me frustrated. People come from all walks of life and respond differently, so I'll work on accepting advice with less of an attitude :P

jadedone: I have noticed this also, but I think it really was mostly an issue with protein. I have upped my levels these past two days and have noticed a difference at work. First of all, my breakfast lasts longer! Secondly, I found roasted soybeans, which have quite a bit of protein. Adding these into my midday snack REALLY seemed to help!

piyubole: I was thinking this also, especially since I don't normally work out AT ALL and have been exercising almost every day in addition to having a calorie deficit and low protein levels. My body probably did not react well :/

Thank you all again!

So your fitness challenge requires low calories? It seems unhealthy, if you're feeling fatigued, to stick with it anyway just because that's the rule. Have you spoken to the people you're supporting about the issues you're having? I'm sure they'd be understanding about needing to eat a little more. You can support them without sacrificing the way you feel.

And yeah, if you have an open diary and ask for advice you're likely to get more than you bargained for. :) I hope you're feeling better!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Today I was supposed to go out with friends for dinner, so I tried to eat carefully all day and exercised to make up for the calories I anticipated eating. AND THEN I GOT STOOD UP, and was starving, and had a lonely-*kitten* meal at Chik Fil A.

Sigh.
    Go ahead and judge :P

Also, I am going home this weekend to celebrate my birthday (late) with my family, so there will be crap in my diary once again :/

Meeting the higher protein goal is hard!!!
    For the next week, there may still be higher carbs just because I have so much oatmeal around :/

Judge? I a jealous. Chickfila is my absolutely favorite fast food place. The closest one is 40 miles away.
  • Sageyoku
    So your fitness challenge requires low calories? It seems unhealthy, if you're feeling fatigued, to stick with it anyway just because that's the rule. Have you spoken to the people you're supporting about the issues you're having? I'm sure they'd be understanding about needing to eat a little more. You can support them without sacrificing the way you feel.

And yeah, if you have an open diary and ask for advice you're likely to get more than you bargained for. :) I hope you're feeling better!

It doesn't require low calories, but the rules are that we follow what's set on MFP, and for each day we go over our calorie goal it costs $1 and the person who sticks to their goal wins the pot.
    I know it's possible to change the calorie goals, but the challenge is only through the end of March. After that I will have to up my goals anyway, because I'm going from a sedentary office job to a VERY active performing one!

Thanks for your support! :) I'm over it, it's ok for people to say what they want...I just had a passing moment of irritability about it. Probably because I was hungry :D

I DO feel significantly better. Adding more protein does seem to help, although I already have lots of carbs in the house that I'll have to eat before I can restock properly :/
    Stuff like oatmeal, fruits, popcorn, pasta. So my carbs might still be high for a while until I can get through it.